Maternal & Child Community
cramping when pregnant???

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

cramping when pregnant???

I just found out last week that I am pregnant. I have a dr's appt on Friday. I miscarried in May. I have been cramping for about a week and I feel like i'm going to have af any minute. Is this normal???I keep looking for blood..but nothing yet..not even spotting. May was my first pregnancy..and I'm not sure how I will handle having another miscarriage. Any advice wouldbe great!
Yes it is normal. I feel that way each time I am pregnant for the first couple weeks.
Try to relax. i know it's hard, especially since you've m/c in the past, but i do believe cramping in early pregnancy is very normal. i've had 2 m/cs so i can imagine the next pregnancy (G-d Willing soon) i'll be a nervous wreck about every ache and pain - even though i didn't have the cramping till i actually m/c and found out would be m/c. try hard to think about something else - get a good book to read and keep your mind occupied or go shopping - that usually works for me :) i'm sure you'll see all is well once you get to your dr. on friday so try to stay calm till then (again, i know easier said than done). good luck. thinking of you and wishing you a happy and healthy rest of pregnancy.
It's scary to be pregnant, you worry about every little thing, even more so if you've had a m/c.  I know with my son I cramped most of the first trimester, and even with my last pregnany that I m/c 6-3-06 I felt the same things.  It's hard to say, but cramping is very normal in early pregnancy.  If you start to feel lots of pressure though, that's not normal.  I am now 5 weeks 4 days and have some cramping again, I just try not to think too much of it, I'm trying to keep as calm as possible till I go in next month for my u/s.  I wish I could help you more, but just try to relax, and call your Dr. with any questions you may have.  That's what they are there for.  Take care and congrats!
Thanks for the responses.My husband told me not to worry and think about something else...guess i should listen to him huh?:) thanks again..i'm glad to know it's normal.
Not to be negative or anything...

But I was told it was normal too, I was cramping from week 4 until I MC.  Everyone said as long as you aren't bleeding...  I never bleed until I actually MC. I was 6 weeks 2 days.

Not that you will or anything, but I wouldn't hesitate if I was pregnant to call my dr. if I had any cramping.  I have two children and I never remembered cramping with them.  So, I don't know.

Sticky baby dust.
Totally normal. This is my 4th pregnancy and with my other 3 I didn't remember cramping at all, but with this one, I thought I was going to start  my period. It never showed, but I cramped like aunt flo sure was comin to town! And that didn't let up until about 10 weeks. Congrats on the baby :)
You shouldn't be having signs already! The baby isn't even implanted and putting of HCG hormones yet. It takes a week to travel down the tubes then they have to implant in the uterus then a couple of days later they start to put off the hormone. I wouldn't think if you're feeling these things they are from pregnany. This is my 4th as well and just like you my Mom told me to test I had no clue I was pregnant. I thought af wad coming for usre with the cramps. And I do remember the ligaments stretchign which hurt but that's totally different from cramps. Butyes, if you JUST ovulated theres no way your body would be putting off signs already. If you're wanting to be pregnant then good luck I hope you did conceive this month and much baby dust to you********** :)
OK- well I have read and read that the whole cramping thing is normal and I will admit..this will be my 7th pregnancy if I am. Ive had 3 m/c's and I have 3 kids but I cant say I recall the cramping too much. I can remember with my last daughter that I did feel the 'stretching' sensation, maybe slight cramping in the first trimester but I just had my period 7/22! Ive heard that the more pregnancies you have the more aware you are of the signs, etc but I didnt even know I was preg. my mom said I was and I tested myself for almost 2 weeks after that until I got a positive result. I know its WAYY too soon for me to test but I have been more tired than usual these last couple of days and yesterday and today these cramps are becoming more prominant. They come and go and I also feel a slight flutter in my uterus. My breasts are a little sore but they dont hurt. I also went on fertilityfriend.com and did my info and the chart said my most fertile days would have been 8/1;8/2 and 8/3 with ovulation happening 8/4 and I had unprotected intercourse on the 2nd and 3rd so I guess its a possibility. I wish I could just stop thinking about it. There is no way I can make myself have these cramps- is there?? Now I guess I have to just hurry up and wait :(. Thanks for listening all~
I've had two miscarriages and am now 12w5d pregnant.  I had cramping from week 4-6 with this pregnancy and still have cramping occassionally.  When you get to weeks 11-12, you'll start cramping/stretching again...it's all very normal, just making room for your little one. :)  Best wishes to you!!  God Bless!
Just wondering, you said you cramp like you were about to start your period. How long did that last, I'm about 6 days late if you are going by 28days then 3 days late if going by 31 days. I have been cramping since yesterday and no period. I started spotting a little, but not enough to get on a pad, just notice when i went to bathroom. Should i be concerned? We are going to wait till tonight to get a test, husband picking one up on the way home.
Just wondering, any advise will help
I am hoping someone can give me some info regarding the cramping...I had a m/c in Feb. Did an u/s and found an ovarian cyst on my right ovary which has shrunk. Now, I'm pregnant but I thought that I had another cyst on my left ovary because I've been having cramping, pressure etc mostly on my left side. But then I was a week late for my period and voila...I'm pregnant. I'm 43 and have no kids. I am super worried now that this is an ectopic pregnancy because of the cramping. It's not really painful or keeping me from normal activities...just like period cramps for the past 3-4 weeks. I am going for another u/s on Friday...had blood work done today, so no results yet. Is this cramping normal,or no?
I am 5 wks  4days pregnant with for a second time. My 1st pregnancy all I had where some back pain and a cold but in my 2ND and 3rd trimesters. This time around I got a cold a day after I found out I,was prego and just finally over it. Also have an ear infection witch I went to the hospital for. But I also have had some mild cramp type feeling my right side near the lower part of my stomach. It only started like 3 days ago and it comes then disappers. Mostly shows up when I sit weird I guess and bend to much. My q is is this normal or no?
I have had 5 miscarriages and three babys now I'm on my 4th and keep getting a lot of pain should I go a&e