Maternal & Child Community
cyst in baby brain on ultrasound 21 weeks

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Hi every one I am new to this. I was @ the Dr office on Thursday and found out that my baby had a cyst in his brain and they wanted to stick a needle in my stumic to check the baby fluid to see if the baby was ok or not. I chose not to becasue it was a risk to the baby and if they found out anything they could not change it. I told them I will just waite till the baby was born. I love this little boy and I want him to be healthy but I can't halp but wander if I did the right thing they told me if he had some type of tresmay??18 than he will only live 6 months so I may want to consider terminating everything els was fine except the cyst.

My message was posted before I was complete sorry. I am so worried and not sure if I made the right choice or not. The baby dad seems to think I should have gone with the test but he has never been supportive of this baby and wanted me to get an abortion so I can listen to him with an open mind this would be the answer to his prayer if anything was to happen. I pray every night for him to be a happy and healthy little boy. I am 35 that
I also at 20 weeks had this problem with a cyste on my babies brain. I did have the amnio (needle in belly) and everything came back normal. My dr. said this is common to have these cystes and they usually go away on there own by 22 wks. Mine did go away by my 23rd wk follow up appointment. They do not return.

Dont worry you are probably fine. If you are concerned though you might want to consider having the amnio based on the finding and you're age. Thats why I went.
A friend of mine's baby also had a cyst on his brain. She was about your age also and the doc's told her that it would probably go away. And it did with no problems a healthy baby boy. Good luck and I will pray for you and your baby and the babies father.
My son was born early, and had a head ultrasound to check for bleeding.  Although there was no bleeding found, they did find two small cysts.  He has since had an MRI, which confirmed the existence of two small cysts on the left side of his brain.  He does not appear to be affected by them at this point, and the doctor says that if anything, they may affect his right-side motor coordination.  My son's cysts were detected at the time when he would have been at 28 weeks gestation.  I hope everything works out well for you and your baby.
Hi thank's for the comment that makes be feel a little better. I also researched it on line and nothing was to be warried since everything else was fine. I am so excited for this boy to be born I just dont want any bad news I guess. I did not go with the test they offered cause I was scared I may miscarry after did not want to take any chances since they cannot change the results anyway. Thank again and may God bless you and your babies. I feel my baby is going to be fine......
Sorry about your son. How old is he? I hope he will continue to grow with no complication....God be with him always.
Please don't feel sorry...he's doing great. He is now 9 weeks old (36 weeks gestation) and we are just waiting for him to bottle feed consistently before he can come home.  The neurologist and neonatologist believe the cysts are benign and harmless.  We have been blessed with Luke's progress...and I am thankful everyday for how things turned out because I have seen several babies in the NICU that will probably never be as healthy as he is. I haven't considered him as anything for anyone to feel sorry about...he was early, and has some small cysts in his head, but he is absolutely beautiful and feisty. Thank you for your thoughts...but be happy for us - I think we've been very lucky.
KMP, You have a great attitude and I wanted to comment on it.  May God continue to richly bless you and Luke!

Nissi, you hang in there.  It sounds like you made the right decision.  Don't beat yourself up for it.  I would do the same thing.  When abortion is not an option you feel you can do than why put you and your baby through test that can end up hurting him worse.  May God bless you with a healthy delivery and baby!
I agree - you have made the best decision for you and the baby. It sounds like you have a lot of faith in yourself and the baby and God to let the testing go and now all you can do is pray for a favourable outcome. We all hope and pray for the same for you. I have my 19 week u/s in 2 weeks (baby #4) and I hadn't even considered the possibility of a cyst being on my baby's brain...now I'm a bit worried!

I just wanted to let you know that the pain you feel in your 'crotch' and groin area is more than likely just the ligaments and muscles softening and this can sometimes cause what feels like bruising or aches in that area. It is the pregnancy hormone 'relaxin' that is responsible for this - all helping to prepare 'that area' and your body for labour. Don't worry about it. It means you're body is doing the right thing! Some days it will be better than others and other days you may find it difficult to get around or lift your legs higher than you normally would etc.

I wish you and your baby all the best and hope that the follow up u/s is positive!
I had my big scan last week and the found a small cyst on the left side of the brain and I have to wait till 28wks to find out more all I was told is that it might dissapear by then and nothing else, surely there should be more information out there, I am only 30yrs so I know downs is unlikely I just hope for the best as it has me really scared but baby will be loved no matter what.
i wouldn't worry (even though i did, too!).  we also had a CPC (choroid plexus cyst) found on our u/s this last pregnancy.  when we back for the follow up, it was gone.  as long as there were no other findings (like short limbs or a clinched fist, ect...) then it should be an isolated CPC and should disappear by the time you go back.  good lick!
I just returned from a three-hour visit at the dr.  I am 18 weeks and they also found a CPC on baby boy's brain.  No other indications were found.  He is active and from what they could tell, his heart and everything else was completely fine.  They did call in the high-risk doc to look at the brain.  He ordered the quad screen blood test and another ultrasound at 24 weeks.  I can't help but be worried.  All I heard were words like, "trisomy 18" and "fatal".  My husband is a doctor and he seems quite calm about it all.  I guess I just have to wait and see what the bloodwork indicates.  I just feel lonely and scared.  Everyone elses comments were helpful.  I know I need to trust God and turn it over to Him.  I would love for anyone else to comment or just say a prayer for my baby boy.
there was actually another post about this earlier today, too.  trust me, you're going to worry no matter what!  its innevitable...  you're becoming a mommy!  

as long as no other indications were found on your u/s then it is most likely an isolated CPC.  from what i was told it actually a more common occurance then we realize.  yes, CPCs are also found in babies w/ trisomy 18 and 21, but also in perfectly healthy and normal babies.  our ds is now over 4 months old and absolutely fine.  his was found on our u/s between 18-20 wks and was gone at our follow up 4 weeks later.  best of luck to you and update when you hear something!  :)
Hi, I'm 22 wks pregnant. I just had another ultra sound today the doctor's are saying a small part of the babies brain doesn't look normal. I'm really concerned and im hoping eeverything is alright with this little boy. Has anyone had this or does it sound like it could be something serious?
hii i also had an ultra sound done last week and the dr said my baby has a small cyst in the brain . im so scareddd i cant sleep. im scared if my baby might have downsyndrom is anyone going through the same thing??! need advice asap.
Definitely know the feeling.  Found out on Thursday that my baby boy has the same issue.  He has the CPC.  Have a good Dr, he talked to me about the fact that 85% go away on their own, causing no problems.  He also told me that if you had the quad test and the AFP test come back normal that the odds increase to 95% chance that they go away on their own, with no lasting problems.  This one really freaked me out too.  Had three other babies, and never had this happen.  It is one of the scariest things I have had to face.  I don't tell my husband b/c it would totally freak him out if I was scared.  There are also other things that can tell them it there are problems.  If the heart isn't right, there are also bone problems.  If the rest of the ultrasound was okay, things should be fine.
Good luck and God bless, hopefully we will both get good news at the next ultrasounds.
I am 20 weeks pregnant and yesterday I was told that the ultrasound found a cyst in the baby's brain. I have no idea how large or exactly where its located. I am being sent to a specialist tomorrow for further examination. I am scared to death that my baby girl will not be normal.  I am 35.  This is my second pregancy. My four year son is perfectly normal and healthy and I never had even a worry with him.  From what I've been reading it appears that the cysts usually go away on their own as long as all other tests are normal. The ultrasound came back normal except for the cyst.  I will probably be offered a amnio and am scared.  How long does it take to get the results back?
I went to the dr yesterday and the dr found 2 cyst on the brain of my baby she told me that its a possibilty that he could have dwn synd she ask did i want to take the test where they stick a neetle in my stomach she sd that it can cause miscarriage i refused she ask if something would be wrong with him what would i do ... I dont know what to do im scared cannt eat or sleep i have 3 girls and im 35 i have waited a long time for this.. MY ? is should i be worried about the cyst that was found on his brain...Lucy
Hi Iam 25 Yrs Old My I Had My 18 Week Check Up With My Second Baby I Had Got Some Bad News That My Baby Has A Big Cyst On The Back Of His Or Hers Head. Its Not On The Brain But On The Back Of The Head Also He Or She Has Fluid In There Chest. Iam So Shocked And Sad And Upset A lot Of Emotions Going On In Me.. I Never Thought I Would Go Through This With My Poor Lil Baby. They Also Told Me My Baby Will Not Survive I Just Broke Down,Anyways I Know If God Wants My Baby Alive And Healthy He Will Do That,Its Gods Will And He Has The Last Say So...I Had A CVS Done On Me So I Will See What's Going On..Yall Keep Me And My Family In Yalls Prayers! Thanks! *Candace*