Maternal & Child Community
delayed miscarriage

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

delayed miscarriage

hi everyone, im new to this, but need advice, i had my u/s on the 14th aug, my last period was 9th, so i worked it out i was 9 weeks,  they said on the monitor i was only 8 and half weeks, and they said they couldnt find no heartbeat, and bleeding in the yolk sac, i havent had no bleedind, no pain, no brown spotting wot so ever, i dissagree of wot they said,   i still feel symptoms of pregy, even my belly does, so wot should i do, i feel i need another u/s just to be on safe side,  and then let nature take care of it self,  but how long will it take, and how bad can pains get, please get in touch
When I let nature take its course with my last miscarriage I was around 11 weeks when it finally started. That was after an 8 or 9 week sono where they found no heartbeat.

I bled very heavily and ended up going to the ER. It was not containable in a pad so they told me to go in. Some had gotten stuck in my cervix and that is why I kept bleeding. They gave me the choice of a d&c and I chose to wait it out. I bled for another week or two off and on. Other than low back pain when the miscarriage first started, there really wasn't much pain at all. No more than a period anyway.

I started spotting about a day or two before the heavy bleeding. About an hour before the heavy bleeding my low back started having terrible pressure to where I could hardly walk.

It helped me alot that I had already had a sono and knew it was coming. Otherwise I would have completely freaked out.

So sorry you are going through this.
I should add that I got pregnant exactly one month later and had a healthy baby boy who is now 2 yrs old.
would your hcg(is that or hgc?) levels go down now if it were going to happen? did they say if doing a blood test would be worth it now>? i am soooo sorry you are experiencing this. prayers to you and your family now.
Does your doctor say that it's safe for you to wait and see how your body handles things?  If it's safe to wait it out, maybe you can ask for another ultrasound if cramping and/or spotting doesn't start in the next week or two?
they havent done any blood tests, still no pain wot so ever, im asking for another ultra sound scan, its been a week now,
I was in the smae situation.  I went at 11 weeks and no heartbeat I felt great.  however I opted for the dnc to make sure I was cleaned properly and a month later I didn't have to have a dnc.  I had a miscariage 8 years ago also and did not fully miscarry so I had to have a dnc anyway.  I hope this helps.  god knows it doesn't make it any easier..
i had a m/c at the end of july. no pain what so ever. just a lot of bleeding. when i had my u/s they had no heart beat just a sac and placenta. i know how you might not want to believe it but it could be. I don't want to lie to you b/c it just hurts even more. I was 10 weeks and 5 days. I felt the s/s of being preggo even though the doctor said my baby stopped growing at 6 weeks! so good luck and to tell you the truth my m/c pains weren't bad i didn't have any. i hope everything turns out ok!
I had a D and C in April.  They said there was no heartbeat at the ultrasound at 11 weeks.  They said the baby stopped growing at 6 weeks. He said I needed to have a D and C and I went in to the hospital that night & had it the next day.

I am glad he did it this way. If I went through the pain and bleeding of a natural miscarriage I think it would have been more difficult on my mental health. Also, I was vomiting a lot & he was surprised that I had not been more ill.
I've had 4 healthy babies all grown-up now my youngest is 13. I'm 44 and suddenly last june 7 I missed my regular period.
went to see my obgyn for a para-menopause check..and discovered instead a 6 week old (very strong) fetal heartbeat!
On my 12th  week..we excitedly went back for a follow-up ultra sound. This time I got to lag along my husband who was finally

convinced to welcome a new baby (its his first) we were dreamy, anticipating to listen to the heartbeat, see it taking shape,

even decided on baby names..to our most unexpected shock, the baby did not have any heartbeat. And according to the doctor,

did not seem to have developed past 7 weeks(all this through an u/s). A D and C was issued, at the hospital admission office

however..finaly realizing, truly grasping the suddeness of the whole situation I said NO! I'll wait and see. I'll let nature
take its course.

I'm glad I made that decision for later, as further readings and studies showed, D and C may actually leave "scars" on your
inside and most women who've had it, have had recurring M/C's.

Its been 2 weeks today since that day (u/s- no heartbeat) I've had only minimal spotting and nothing else. NO cramps No pain

No foul smell NO nothing!!! I wish I have some pain at least, any pain is welcome the more to feel..the better ( I'm feeling

guilty , perhaps because I wasn't too enthusiastic about it at first. After being a dedicated self-sacrificing mother - I truly valued my finally-new found "freedom"- to be able to pamper
"me", to finally fullfill my dusty dreams I've shelved for years while the children were growing-up needing my utmost care.When I heard the fetal heartbeat, I was resentful. Now am overcome with guilt)

I'm looking forward to seeing something at least
expelled from me..maybe the fetus, an after birth anything to put some sense of closure/ forgiveness of sorts..what is going on? is it All still inside me?  

They say its called missed abortion or delayed miscarriage...Has anyone experienced this? Does it really take this long to come out? And Not feel anything too? Please reach out, any advise will be most appreciated.

A baby is a gift. I've decided to have another one if given a chance and if all goes well.
hi
I WAS TOLD LAST FRIDAY AFTER RETURNING FORM AN ULTRASOUND SCAN TO EXPECT A DELAYED MISCARRIAGE!

I HAD BEEN AT THE CLINIC TWO WEEKS PREVIOUS AND THERE WAS NOT MUCH GROWTH OR ANY SIGN OF A HEARTBEAT WITHIN THE TWO WEEK PERIOD!I HAVE SINCE HAD MY BLOODS CHECKED AND MY HCG IS FALLING I THINK NOW THAT NOTHING MUCH HAS HAPPENED IN TWO WEEKS AND ONCE AGAIN I'M BEING LEFT TO WAIT AND LET NATURE TAKE ITS COURSE.

CAN ANYONE GIVE ME ANY INDICATION AS TO WHEN THIS COULD HAPPEN I STILL HAVE ALL PREGNANCY SIGNS NO CRAMPS BLEEDS NOTHING AND AM A BIT TIRED OF THE WAITING GAME NOW!

ALSO CAN ANYONE TELL ME OF HOW BAD I SHOULD EXPECT THE PAIN / BLEEDING TO BE IVE HEARD SO MANY HORROR STORYS.  BY MY DATES I SHOULD BE 11+ WEEKS BY THE SCANS I WAS SHOWING BETWEEN 6 - WEEKS

PLEASE HELP ME IF YOU CAN

THANKS
I had v minor spotting from 6-8wks (first pregancy) but a scan at 8 weeks showed a heartbeat and all looked normal. Sadly my 12 week scan showed the baby had died at about 9 weeks. It was a real shock as i had been feeling sick, sore breasts, tired etc and no pain or bleeding, so was not expecting it. I didn't want to just wait for a natural miscarriage as it had been 3-4 weeks without happening naturally anyway. I had a pill yesterday lunchtime, with fairly qiuck results. The pain was like a severe period pain, lots of blood, then at 3am i passed quite a large amount of soft tissue. Quite unpleasant, but for me still preferable to an operation, as it seems more natural. If the baby was more than 9 weeks i wouldn't recommend it though. I need to take a pessary tomorrow which causes the womb to contract. If anyone has had this, how painful is it? I am sure most of the fetus etc has been passed already.
My best wishes to anyone going through this. It is horrible and i feel so sad.
I am trying to be positive. My friend had a still birth at 9 months, then a year later lost one of her premature twins, so there are worse things that can happen. I hope i can get pregnant again in a few months time.
i am sorry for your loss.  i dont know about the pill or a pessary but i wanted to give you a hug!!  i miscarried early both times and without help.  the first time i was at 8 weeks and the 2nd time at 6 weeks.  this time was easier in the fact that it happened earlier, physically i mean.  my heart still hurts.  so sorry again, please take time for yoursefl at this time.  :)
Thank you for your kind message. I am so sorry you miscarried twice. Two of my friends have miscarried twice. One has a lovely 2 year old and one is due in October and doing well. I wish you luck in the future.
i have a healthy boy of 4 and had a delayed misscarrige at 6 weeks  the scan said no heart beat 10 days later i started bleeding no pain no cramps just a normal period as such 2 months later i feel pregnant again a week before due to go for a scan the same thing happened this time there was cramps low back pain does anyone no if theres a chance of me carrying a healthy baby.
Ok my niece who is 17 yrs old founf out she was pregrent she had a vaginal ultra sound and founf out she was 11 1/2 weeks and they baby was fine everything looked normal it was said that she was RH- but that the baby was doing fine... she went back two weeks later whitch was yesterday for another ultrasound to hear that there was no heartbeat and had another one today with the same results they want her to come back on monday to discuss the next step my question is Is it safe phyiscall for her to have the fetus still in womb that long? What can i do to help her her parents weren't to keen on the pregrenct anyways so i'm all she's got and i've never been in this postion so i don't know how to help her any advice is appericated
Hello- I am 26 yrs and found out I was pregnant around early to mid August. I was so excited, but scared too because I have really bad endometriosis and never thought I could get pregnant.

On August 30th, my husband and I went to have an u/s saw the baby and heart beat.

About two weeks ago when I was walking around, I felt a sharp pain in my lower right side and couldn't walk straight. This pain was nothing compared to my endo. pain and thought nothing of it.

This past Wed. 12th, I had light spotting which progressed to darker red by thurs., went to ER.

They did an u/s and would let me watch the topical u/s. The u/s tec. couldn't find the heartbeat. Then did a vaginal and when he wouldn't let me see the screen, I knew.

The baby has been terminated inside me now for a little over 2wks. My cervix is closed and want to do a D&C. I heard of  the pill and some kind of shot as well as alternatives. Do you guys know anything about this?

My advise especially to women who have endometriosis.... GET A GOOD DOCTOR!
Someone who has an extensive background in endo. preferably a women, who is attentive to your needs. Never be afraid  to ask for more attention, check-ups, tests, etc. Even if you feel your being overly cautious, it is ok. We know our bodies better than anyone. Our health is important and it is their job to make sure of that.
hi,
im 20yrs old yesterday i started bleeding i was very scared and was sent to the hospital they did an internal scanned and told me my baby was only the size of a 5week old baby! which means its only 4mm long and at this size it is not visible to see wether it has a heartbeat we was unsure of dates but i have really irregular periods anyway.
i woke this morning to still find more bleeding sometimes its watery blood( sorry for the details) and sometimes its like a period. stops start no pains no cramps i just feel a bit strange.
the docter said i may be having a delayed misscarrige and i am just waiting for nature to take its course and have another scan on the 2nd of april this will determain wether it is still there and should be 6mm long with a heartbeat or still the same which will mean i have misscarried.
im so scared being 20 but glad that it is commen and im not an odd bod .
xxxxx
don't lose hope yet.  Although your doc could be very well be right, some women still get their periods or spotting when they are pregnant.  It is hard to see a heart beat so early.  I miscarried on Feb 28, I was 12 weeks 6 days when the bleeding started.  My u/s showed that my baby stopped growing at 7 weeks 6 days, this was seen on an u/s done the same day I started bleeding (7w 6d).  Anyway I had many early u/s and they could not see the heart beat until I was 7 weeks 2 days.  Sadly the baby died 4 days later.  If you are m/c you will eventually have pains.  In my case it took 5 weeks for them to start.
hello ive been told that i am roughly 9 weeks pregnant but was rushed to hospital with bleeding and low abdominal pain they said they could see a sac and baby in there ldnt find a heartbeat do you know what this could be
delayed miscarriage....

I had mine a day after my birthday, i started to bleed not to much, but it scared the life out of me... I already have a lovely baby daughter.. and was happy to find out that i was having another.... the bleeding was very little then the bottom of my tummy felt really heavy... i was told to go to A&E to have it checked.... they said sometimes it can be normal, if the cervix is still closed, but they still put me through for a scan..... had a normal scan could not find anything i was 10 weeks then... they did an internal scan and they said that i had a delayed miscarriage...... had the sac not fetal at all.....

After they advised me that i can let it happen naturally , or take medicine to help or the D&C.. I opted natural.....

I was bleeding very heavy..... i felt like i was going through labour again and the pain was so bad was admitted to A&E

So what every signs you have just get it checked out but the advise i was given you as a person needs to be stress free and happy and feeling fit....
hi, i had a delayed miscarrage (miscarriage) on the 8/5/08. i had a early scan and it said i was 6 weeks pregnant. i had other scan when i was 13 weeks pregnant but the baby had died at 8 1/2 weeks. i left it to take its course for a week but nothing happened so i took the pill. on the 8th my waters broke and the doctors said i had contraction pains. at 2.30am i was rushed in to hospital and at 5am i passed the baby. i would of been 16 weeks on friday. when does the pain in my heart go away?
I had also same experienced with you..My last menstruation was dec. 17 2007..and then i had viral exanthem(family of measles)dec. 29 2007..An d then i noticed that my areola darkened at around last week of jan. 2008.I bought a pregnancy test kit and was so glad to found out i was pregnant.i already had severe cramping so i told my ob about that and told her that i had miscariage 4 yrs ago at 7weeks.so i rested and was so excited for my next visit for the ultrasound..but the following month march 5,2008 my ob couldn't find any heartbeat,but i had no bleeding just cramping.so i was rushed to the hospital.but since my cervix was not yet open my ob inserted a cytotec but i didn't feel anything and there wasn't any blood came out from me.so after two days my ob deciced to let me have D and C.and that following day i was discharge from the hospital..

hi im 19yrs old, i went for my 12week scan yesterday to only be told that there was no heartbeat and the baby had died at 81/2 weeks, i was devestated as i didnt expect my baby to be dead. i had no discomfort no bleeding nothing i wish i just knew why it happens. Im going for a D/C tommorow but im not looking forward to it at the moment im still pregnant but by the end of tommorow i wont be and it hurts so much, will i ever get over the loss of my little one.
I had delayed miscarriage on the 06/10/08. I was very devastated for We have been trying for 2 years. Counting from my last period, I am at my 9th weeks but the doctor said that my angel died at 4 weeks. Was schedule for D&C at the very same day.I didn't feel any pain just the urge to urinate every 5 minutes and I am bleeding (clotting to be exact). My gyne gave me 2 option weather to wait and let it go naturally or do d&c. I opt for D&C for I think no use to wait. I've lost my angel. I hope to be able to get pregnant really soon. The lost was really devastating and I cried a lot.
i never thought id be reading these stories,i had my 12 week scan yesterday and was told there was no heart beat and my baby didint develop past 6 to 8 weeks,they called it a delayed miscarriage,im sitting here suffering pains wondering when im going to miscarry,the pain of the loss of my baby is killing me inside,i fully sympatise with everyone who suffers this loss
last week i had an emergency scan on what should have been my 12th week of pregnancy ,i have been suffering with brown discharge for about 6 weeks previous to this the doctor and midwife told me not to worry as there was no clots and i was not in any pain any way last tuesday the brown discharge turned red so i went to hospital and on wednesday i had an emergency scan and there was no heartbeat our baby died at 7 and a half weeks the baby had been in there 5 and a half weeks i cant even begin to explain how heartbroken i am as im sure you all know how that feels i keep searching the internet looking for an explaination even though i know theres not one i feel like the bottom of my worlds dropped out i went back to hospital friday and had an erpc i felt it was for the best as my baby had been in there almost 6 weeks i just feel totally lost right now like somethings missing which it is im just so thankfull ive found this so i know im not alone