Maternal & Child Community
diabetes

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

diabetes

I just found out this week I have gestational diabetes.  Is anyone else experiencing this?  I thought we might be able to offer each other support.
My sister inlaw had it and what the main cause of it is eating to much salt watch your Sodeum level anything you eat make sure you don't salt it and make sure the drinks you drink dont have sodeaum in it its nothing to be worry about alot of pregnant women get it cus during pregnancy most women crave salt my sister inlaw swolled up but she lost it after her baby was born how bad is your case do you know?
As per my doctor, gestational diabetes is not caused by salt intake, but sugar. Salt causes high blood pressure though, which is not good either. Eat low on carbs, lots of veggies and no sugar in your diet. Usually with good diet gestational diabetes can be controlled. Take care.
I had it with my last pregnancy...Did you get your 3 hour test yet? How are they going to control it? Mine was controlled ,very well, just with diet and mild excersize..
A little silver lining, I had been told that chances of getting it again were very high, but Im pregnant now with no gestational diabetes...But if you have questions feel free to ask and you can email if  you like.... ***@**** (hubby and I share email till I get mine goin again)
Thank you for all of your comments.  I did have my 3 hour which is what they used to diagnose me.  I was given a diet to follow and have been testing my sugar four times per day.  So far, all of my readings have been good.  I have to go next week for the doctors to decide whether or not I need to go on insulin.  I don't think it will be necessary from what I am seeing.  I was told that it is ok if my sugar is low by the nurse because I am not on insulin.  Can anyone verify that?
I just found out about the diabetes last week.  I haven't seen my Ob yet.  I'm supposed to see her Tuesday, and then make an appointment with the perinatal specialist.  My doctor told me my baby looked like he was going to be big before we knew about the diabetes, so I'm hoping with keeping my sugar controlled, he won't get too big.  I would rather not be induced before my due date if at all possible.
I don't know how low is low, but based on what you said, mine haven't been too low.  They have ranged from 80-91.  I was told that my fasting sugar (first thing in the morning) should be below 100, and two hours post each meal should be below 120.  My highest readings so far have been my fasting level.
80- 91 are very good readings. It sounds like yoru doing things right! Did your doctor discuss induction?
How low are your sugars? I was only checked once a week and actually they were always good. Lowest reading was 77, but my range was 77-98 was highest. Diet took care of my levels very well. These were readings taken 1 hour post breakfast.
Well I know a lot of doctors do induce routinly before the due date when GD is involved. I was induced 5 days before due date. My son was only 6lb 9 oz though....small for a GD baby. My older son was more than a pound bigger...