Maternal & Child Community
did anyone drink before they knew they were pregnant?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I had drank the weekend before finding out I was pregnant. Can this hurt the baby?
I did, I found out after May 24 weekend, therefore I drank quite a bit.  and I had been drinking before that and found out I was already one month along, but my son was and still is 100% healthy!!  I don't think it does anything, but everyones different.
I drank both times before I knew I was pregnant, probably even the night of conception.  But I believe the alcohol doesn't harm the fetus until it's implanted and starts getting nutrients through you.  

Don't worry about it as long as you're not drinking now.

Good luck!
this question was posted a couple days ago... the consensus was that most people did some drinking before knowing they were pregnant. your baby will be fine. this is such a common question, it is specifically addressed in most pregnancy books as well. they all say that don't worry about what you drank before you foundout you were pregnant. as long as you stop after you find out, your baby will be fine. (don't forget... many people get pregnant that way!!!)
No I dont drink now : ) I drank the weekend after conception and then 2 weekends later right before I found out I was prego. I also used to smoke a lot of weed and now some girl at work is saying that causing brain damage but yet she is pregnant and smoking CIGGERETTES so she is no better and now I am just paraniod
I indulged more than once prior to peeing on the stick.
My first two turned out ok.  You can't beat yourself up for something you didn't know about!  
my mother smoked pot the entire time she was preg with me i personally think there is nothing wrong with me but some may beg to differ:) alot of women indulge in different things before they find out they are preg and as long as you stop ass soon as you know then your chances of anything happening go down quite a bit. good luck
I have a friend who said "if I have to stop drinking I'm going to smoke pot" and I guess she was told that she could SOMETIMES not everyday or anything but just like a little here and there
I drank christmas eve, I had A drink and new years day I had 2-3 drinks and on Jenuary 4th i got my BFP-when I found out I felt so horrible because I am not one to drink either and i did...You would have laughed in the doctor's office when I got the pregnancy confirmed, I bawled when the doctor asked if I was drinking or smoking or doing drugs, I was like no  I don't but i did and I didn't know and he laughed..Said it most likely didn't affect the baby-but I learned alot on FAS and FAE and how fetus' develop something new everyday and i was sooo worried-he said that because it wasnt testing positive dec 28th and jan 2nd-most likely the placenta didn't get any alcohol into it because it's what releases the HCG hormone or whatso ever and said alot of women drink like get really drunk before they find out they are pregnant-the important thing is you don't continue while pregnant.
i was a bridesmaid in my best friends wedding just prior to finding out with my 3rd, so i drank alot and thought i had a 5 day hangover before peeing on the stick!!!  turned out i had morning sickness...lol!!!  my baby is absolutely fine.  i have a saying that until you KNOW you are pregnant, you are  NOT pregnant!  you still gotta live.  (by the way, my 3rd baby was a complete shock...we were not trying!!!  but now that she is here, i wouldn't change it for the world!!!!)
No not at all.  I was trying to get pregnant and the day I was due (I am not regular) I took a test it was negative and then I started spotting so I thought I was getting it.  I was so sad I drank that much more.  haha

The guilt I felt when I found out I was pregnant - doctor said trust him - it would not hurt the baby.  And I am now 30 weeks and baby is growing just fine.  Of course I need a drink but I will wait 10 or so more weeks. hahaha
I drank heavily before I found out I was pg with my 1st. I was also taking naproxen and muscle relaxers for my back. I was also taking the BCP,and st john's wort (not knowing back then herbs can interfere with the pill). When I was expecting my AF, I had really bad cramps and even took my painkillers. Turns out b/c I skipped my periods on purpose using the pill, by the time I found out I was pg, I was 10 weeks along. And she is a perfect 3 1/2 year old.

I remember with my 2nd DC who's 18 months old now, we planned him. When I thought I got an early period, which was heavy implantation bleeding, I got really upset. I had a couple drinks and took a vicadin. He's perfect too.

My OB also said a couple drinks after the 20th (ish) will not hurt the baby. It's not known how much is too much though. I can have a glass or 2 of wine or beer, just no hard liquor. I also cannot get buzzed. I did this with both of my kids. With my current pg, 31 weeks, I've had a glass or 2 of wine on a few occasions. It helps to calm down any cramping I'm having at the time. Some midwives will even tell you this. I'm at risk for PTL, and whenever the cramps get too bad, I'll have a glass of wine. It does help.

BTW, I am NOT advocating drinking while pregnant.
refering to the glasses of wine. I've heard red wine isnt good however the cramping you may be experiencing may be braxton hicks and it's been said by many that if you are having those kinds of cramping and are not really sure if you are in labour-drink a glass of wine and if they stop-it's not labour-if they progress then it's labour-just something for your comfort if ever you have a glass and the cramping never goes away:) If you didn't already know that is:)
I drank before I found out I was pregnant with my first two daughters and they are wonderful, highly intelligent beautiful children.  I hadn't drank in about a year with this baby.
I know there's something about red wine (tannins?) that can actually do more harm than good. I LOVE lambrusco though!

I would mainly get the cramping after work with this pg. I'm a waitress, so I'm running around a lot. The wine doesn't take the cramping away completely, but does help. I started having PTL episodes with my 2nd DC at 31 weeks, which now I'm 31 weeks w/this one. It gets scarey at times.

There's been many times though that I've gotten constant dull cramps with painless cx w/pressure with this one. I'm too afraid sometimes to have a glass of wine b/c I want to see what my body will do one its own.