Maternal & Child Community
did i cause miscarriage

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

did i cause miscarriage

I'm in my 7th week of pregnancy - we had invitro done.  I went for ultrasound during 6th week, it seemed to show something but they said it was kind of small, maybe a later implantation.  I have a follow up ultrasound booked for next week (8th week), today, I don't know why but I started touching myself but suddendly stopped just as an orgasm was starting.  I went to the bathroom later and saw some spotting.  Could I have caused a miscarriage ?!! Help, I'm in total panic mode!
I wouldn't think so. Orgasms are not a bad thing during pregnancy so I wouldn't worry about that. Spotting can be normal during pregnancy so it doesn't necessarily mean you are miscarrying. Try to stay calm you are probably fine. Your chances of miscarrying aren't any greater than anyone else.
Masturbation doesn't cause miscarriage.
I agree with the other posters, this could not have caused miscarriage.  At the ultrasound if it is transvaginal, they will stick a much larger probe inside of you and it is fine even though you may spot from it.  It is very hard to cause a miscarriage unless you are doing something very deliberate and at this early stage, i don't even knwo what that could be.  
Here is the truth as I know it.  A little bleeding during intercourse, or in you case, masterbation (masturbation) is normal.  You are pregnant.  Your body is produced a tremendous amount of blood at this moment and all that blood is going to your new baby who lives in your uterus.  If you choose to continue to masterbate while pregnant, make sure you are gently with yourself.  No unnecessary roughness.    As for the growth of the baby, it is very early in the pregnancy - things change very quickly at the beginning.  Try to relax and wait for the results of the next ultrasound.  Congratulations on your pregnancy and try to relax and be calm.
but I heard that orgasms cause contractions of the uterus and that may have caused bleed ?? It's just very worrysome because the 6 week u/s was not very precise last week, and I have still one week left before my 8th week u/s.  The bleeding has subsided a little, but still there when I go to the bathroom and wipe.  Could this be the "start" of a miscarriage, or possible normal spotting of first trimester? I would find it highly coincidental that it started just after my orgasm - and it terrifies me that I may have caused it. We've been trying to get pregnant for 10+ years - and finally through invitro we did.  Dr. says I may have had a late implantation and now i'm worried.  Please tell me the truth .... could I have possible "risked" it or is there still hope that all might be ok ???
i know exactly what your going through, i miscarried at 9 weeks in jan (baby stopped growing at 5 weeks) and now im 8 weeks 4 days pregnant, i had some dark brown spotting 2 weeks ago which happened after i had masterbated (no penetration at all) i went to the gyn ward at our hospital and was checked out they said everything was normal but i had a scan the next day anyway which showed the baby and a heart beat, i didnt make the connection then, but yeterday when i masterbated again (again no penetration) i went to the loo a few hours later and there was lots of red blood, so again i went to the hosptial and they did a scan and there happy that everything is ok they did a ultrasound and saw a heatbeat so they sent me home to rest.. so from my experience i would say that masterbation (masturbation) can cause some bleeding but not neccasarily miscarriage.
i thank u deeply for asking this ?ion because i just went through dis tonight after i masterbating (masturbating) i went to the restroom and started to cry when i saw blood the though of losing my baby broke my heart but these comments have helped me calm down