Maternal & Child Community
difference between spotting and light bleeding

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

please don't get irritated at this, as I'm a bit confused. What is the main difference between spotting and light bleeding? I don't know what it is that I'm experiencing, and for me to define the difference would help. I don't have insurance so I can't go to the OB, and it costs $125 for bloodwork. The pink and brown stuff is only there when I wipe. This has been going on for 8 out of the last 9 days. It comes and goes. My period isn't due at least until this friday, and this started last monday. Light cramping, high temps. Coverline is 96.6 and it's been between 97.5 and 97.7 since supposedly O'ing (FF). Do I count this as my AF? Has anyone else spotted/bled for so long before their AF started? I've taken a hpt and it was negative. I've looked this up on the internet, but all that pops up is bleeding during pregnancy and implantation bleeding.
If you dont need to wear a pad and the blood is pink or brown this could be described as spotting,full flow red blood is not classed as spotting.
Also sometimes spotting is sometimes literaly just small spots of blood.
A HPT is more accurate the day your period is due or the few days after.
hope this helps
thank you for responding so fast. So I don't consider this a light bleed then? When it does turn redish (between pink and red in very small amounts) it's only there when I wipe. After it's 'redish', it's back to brown or nothing. Is there supposed to be a temp drop when you are spotting? I don't believe now this is IB, as I've seen it many times before, and it's never lasted this long.
I agree, I have always considered spotting to be just when you wipe, nothing on the panties or a pad otherwise. It is odd it is lasting so long, I would have to agree that it isn't implantion bleeding.

Andi
I won't be irritated with you, if you try not to be with me! :)

I have always seriously wondered why if someone doesn't have enough money to go to the doctor even one time, why would you actively pursue a pregnancy with all its associated expenses? I do understand wanting a child, but why would someone not wait until they have insurance or improved financial means?  Kids are terribly expensive, as is pregnancy and the misc costs. Sometimes better circumstances come along with a bit of planning and waiting.  Sometimes not, but family expenses and a realistic budget should come before adding in another expense.  

I know it just sounds horrible to say that, and I apologize for asking, but I truly am stymied whenever I hear that someone can't afford to go to the doctor, yet are planning a massive expense like another child.

I hope I didn't upset you by asking, but please clear up for me what the thought process is, so I can understand better.  I'm very dense!  I stopped at 2 kids, because we couldn't afford to have any more.  Sure I wanted more, but had to be reasonable with our circumstances.  

Hope everything works out well for you, and my apologies if I upset anyone.
It's not that I don't have the money to take a blood test, I've done it before a couple years ago. It's just it costs so much for getting it done, plus the dr's appt fee. I don't have insurance right now because I currently support a family of 4 waitressing, and my work doesn't offer insurance. We tried, but there's not enough full time employees. My DH will be done with school in september. I told him I don't care how much $ he makes as long as we get insurance. Believe me, I wish I could go to my OB with my problems, but she doesn't take cash, something about she gets reimbursed thru the insurance companies. If I do get pregnant in the meantime, I would qualify for insurance thru the state. I hate sounding like a bum, but I've paid my dues. I currently have 2 children, 2 1/2 and 9 month old. I have certain health problems that I wish I could get fixed w/ insurance. My family doctor is really cool and he doesn't charge me for my office visits. Plus my OB told me that if I ever needed help, I could pay for the biopsies and such, but that'll get very expensive. I just have to have cause for getting health insurance thru the state. So, I'm not willing in the meantime to call up my OB, figure out how much I owe her for the dr visits, pay for bloodwork and tests to be done when I could just hold off for a couple more months to see what's wrong. I've had lots of breakthru bleeding before (mini periods) in the past, but not as light as this one. I've had normal pap smears, so I don't know if it's some kind of hormonal problem. I'm not irritated, it's just no one fully understands where I come from. Plus it's a real pain in the butt for me to take both babies with me to the doctors, when it's me being checked out.
Everyone takes cash.  They'd love to go thru insurance, but no one in business in the USA can refuse cash payment.  It is, after all, our national currency.

I hear that you're having a hard time.  But have you thought of what will happen to your family if you get pregnant, and God forbid have a complication and can't work?  What will happen to them?  Waitressing is incredibly hard work, and pregnancies often require someone to cut back or even not work at all.  I have all the respect for you in the world, as hard as you work and with all the medical problems you have.

Might it not be better to wait until your dh gets done with school and can support YOU fully, to TTC?  Sept is only 3+ months away.  If you get pregnant now and had to go on bedrest or something, what the heck would happen to your family?  Your children are very, very young yet.  

I guess I just will continue to not understand the not wanting to wait part.  Best of luck to you, and try to get as much rest as you can.  You work hard, and deserve to have things easier!

I'm writing this in the defense of those wanting more children and not necessarily have the "perfect" financial situaion.  This board is for help and answers to questions.  It is not here for us to point judgement at others or try to "read into" why they are trying to concieve (conceive).  You never "really" know a person's situation, so you should never judge or even ask for that matter.  If someone wants to share their personal life with us they will.  Otherwise, answer their questions and move on.
Why comment? Another poster asked and the original poster answered honestly. This board is for support and oftentimes it can offer people some clarity of thought at the same time. I believe nowherechild was curious and was hoping that maybe the original poster could see that maybe waiting was a good idea. She didn't attack her, she didn't demean her, she simply offered her insight into the situation, which is what makes this board what it is, a patient to patient forum.

I have to agree though. It is befuddling to see so many actively trying to conceive without the basic foundation of medical insurance. No one says you have to be wealthy to have children, the "perfect" financial position rarely exists when people are TTC, but having something as basic as health insurance that covers prenatal care and delivery should be a given. At the very least, the financial ability to pay for any and all costs associated with good prenatal care should exist if insurance is lacking in a particular situation.

Andi
Back in Aug I went theough what seems to be a similar situation I thought I was just having a light AF due to some stress I was under. Turned out a week or 2 later I took an HPT and it was positive, so it is possible you could be preggo I would just wait and take another HPT when was your AF due?
I had similar situation last month.  I had light brownish spotting/bleeding for 3-4 days before AF showed up.  Af was also 3 days late.  I think what happen to me was the stress of TTC; it kind of messed up my cycle.
well, I had to work tonight so I missed the past comments. I didn't think that nowherechild was attacking me, it was her point, and she was polite about (compared to some of the comments here lately). I know that it is better to wait to have another baby, and may I add this would be my last child. I want them all to be close in age. I have 1 older sister who's 7 years older, and we're not close at all. I want my children to have each other when I and my DH are gone. I also know that having another child will in some part take away material things from the other children. I can, and I want to emphasize that strongly, afford another child. I do have savings, believe it or not. We live fairly decent. I am just very good with my money. I also have a BA in economics. But when I found out I was pregnant with my DD, which was totally by accident (I was on BC, but didn't know st john's wort interfered with it), I choose family over career. So waitressing, which may I add is really good money for the hours, works for us. I've been supporting this family for over 2 years. Yes, my DH gets done with school soon, but for some reason, I feel every month I'm wasting, I could be closer to having my perfect family. I did get put on bedrest towards the end of my last pregnancy for preterm labor episodes. I know that work got too hard for me. But this time around, I can quit working if I chose when my DH gets a job. Keep in mind that I'm not taking advantage of the government or anything of the sort. They are there when needed. I just happen to fall within the income guidelines for insurance (think of claiming tips). There, now you all know my story.

Now, back to my original question...I appreciate the last 2 comments. Tonight at the beginning of my shift, I had a light bleed that stained a panyliner within a half hour. I immediately put in a tampon, expecting AF. 5 hours later I take it out and it was dry. I'm just sick of this yo-yo'ing. I've been trying to look up info on hormonal imbalances and LP problems, but nothing really relates with my situation.

Thank you everyone. boy, I didn't mean to make this so long
I just wanted to say that the age difference between children is only one factor in their relationship. My oldest brother is almost 13 yrs older than me, and my other brother is 10 yrs older than me. We are all very close despite the years difference. Please don't think that is the only deciding factor in sibling relationships, because it's not. I realize that wasn't the point you were making in your original post, but felt the need to comment since that came up.
I also wanted to add this about my OB not accepting cash. My last pg earlier this year was unplanned and ended as a blighted ovum. Since it was unplanned, it took me some time to get the necessary paperwork done for health insurance thru the state. I talked about the couple dr visits over with her, and she said she doesn't go by a per fee basis. She sends her bills into the insurance company and they reimburse her. I've never heard of this either, and I was shocked. She told me that we'd have to work something out, and she actually decided that she wouldn't charge me for my visits since I needed medical attention. But long story short, we were able to have the insurance, which I did acquire pay for those visits. Plus she was more willing to work with me since I had been her patient for 7 or 8 years. She did say that she wasn't so much concerned with me not paying her, even in the future, for regular gyn stuff, she's concerned with me having to have operations, testings, biopsies, etc done. That is what she's concerned about, and she doesn't take payment for. I don't understand either. I'm just quoting what she said to me.
I just want to have children close in age. Like I said, with my personal experience, having a sibling seven years older than me made us feel like only children growing up. I want them to have each other. Plus, I figure I'll get these freaking diaper years done and over with. I have all the baby gear, still in good shape, and I'd like to get rid of it after the next one. There are many factors in me wanting to have my kids close in age. I also know that because my 1st 2 are 24 months apart that my youngest is losing out on the alone time I had with my 1st child. But, they are great together. It actually relieves me b/c they play with each other instead of with me all the time.
i had the same thing in feb/mar of this year.  i kept thinking i was starting af and had actually convinced myself somehow that af had occurred.  well, i took an hpt the end of march because i thought af's bleeding was kind of light.  oops.  PREGNANT.  Big surprise for me and my dh as our last one was only 14 months old.  i know what you mean by wanting them to be close in age.  i have a 5yr old and a 16 month old.  for some reason my 16 month old plays more with my 20 month old niece than with my 5 yr old.  so i am excited to have the new addition closer in age to my son.
good luck to you (and maybe your new little one?)
thank you very much for understanding. All I wanted was some kind of insights, experiences with what's going on with me, and instead I'm explaining myself on different issues.
how long did your bleeding last about? this would be 11 days for me off and on. It's still not enough for a pantyliner
i think the spotting, maybe even light bleeding, lasted about 7-9 days, which is a normal af for me.  it was heavy enough for me to think it was AF, but obviously wasn't.  they eventually told me it was implantation bleeding which resulted in a subchorionic bleed.  i had an u/s yesterday that showed it has healed.  i spotted up until my 12th wk of preg.
I'm sorry, this is day 10. It started last monday. This isn't normal for me. I think from beg to end of spotting w/ AF it would be 8 continuous days and fairly heavy. This would be right on time for IB, based upon when I think I O'ed. My temps are still up. I've had IB for 3 of my pg's, but it was never this drawn out. That's why I'm leaning towards it not being IB, but yet not my AF either.
I understand your situation, I commend you for working so hard to put your DH through school to better your lives. In the end it will work out the way it is supposed to . I hope this spotting is a sign for you. Good luck when is AF schedule to show??????
My bleeding started 5 days early last month so I thought it was an early AF. Then it was just "spotting" for 9 days. I just ruled it out as AF as 2 HPTs were BFN. Sometimes it's so hard to read our bodies. I hope your spotting turns into BFP!!
thank you. I was wondering how you were doing, as I was looking thru the posts earlier. Did the spotting stop?

According to me, AF is due this friday. According to FF, it's due this coming up monday. Nothing makes sense. I'm just waiting for it to become a full blown AF. However, I don't know exactly when I O'ed. FF said I did on may 14th. I thought I did around the 9th. So weird. I believe now the lines I was seeing on the hpt's were in fact evaporation lines, although they started to appear before 10minutes, sometimes before 5 minutes. The lines haven't gotten any darker, which they should've by now. Better luck next month after my AF finally comes.
I would just like to say this because I have been going through some things also pertaining to preg. I've been having brown spottings and all they can see on the U/S is the sac not the embryo. Darlin all I have to say to you is your choice is your choice. God doesn't give us more than we can bear and if he take you to it he will most certainly take you through it. Hang in there just have faith and everything will be okay. You're in my thoughts. Even if this turns out to be a MC don't question it he knows why he placed that child in your life for that brief moment.
ok so my af was 10 days late and then i got my af it lasted about 2 and a half days maybe 3. it was light but not spotting
america is bad for insurance and health fees. You should have NHS like us in the UK. Everything is free. When u have a baby they give you £690 for pram e.c.t. Then you get given between £85 -200 a week per child. Do you get any of this in USA?

Hi all  i wish the uk  gave you all this money for having a baby  i have a 7 month old   get £20 child benefit  £20 tax credits    where do you live in the uk    i think i will move there  lol