Maternal & Child Community
dilate

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

dilate

Is it possible to start dialating without first passing your mucus plug?  What does it feel like or will you feel it?  The reason I asked is because I was walking yesterday and when I got home and was sitting down it felt as if the baby was trying to force her way out.  I called the hospital to talk to a nurse and the only reason I did not go in is because my dr is out of town and I am kind of nervous of seeing someone else when he has been with me the whole time.  No I am not in pain or anything that was just a weird feeling and was wondering if anyone else has felt this before?
Oh yes, you can be dialated and not pass your plug.  Also you may pass your plug and never even know it.  You won't feel it and you won't know you're dialated until the doc checks you.  

A couple days before I went into labor I was at the doc's office for a regular check-up and he said I was dialated to 2 cm.  I never did see my plug and he stripped my membranes that day.  I went into labor the next afternoon.

Good luck!
The feeling is probably the baby kicking downward - I felt that with my 2nd pregnancy but I am not a DR. I believe the plug must fall out for you to dialate.
When I was pg w/ my daughter, I was put on bedrest for the last 3 mo. B/C of premature contractions. When I was 34 weeks, I was allowed to resume activities. We went to church on Easter & I swear I could feel the baby between my legs. I went to the Dr the fri. after & I was 4cm. no contractions, no mucus plug. I must have missed it. Needless to say I had my Daughter the next morning. Just take it easy & if you are close to your due date try to walk a little. You may very well be dialated & starting labor good luck & keep us posted.
I am 37 weeks and I have been walking but I can't walk that long. When I am done and trying to rest the pain starts.  I don't see that I have dropped at all, but everyone keeps telling me that I have.

I have read of ways to self induce for instance:  spicy foods, squatting, and walking.  I have also read of castrol oil is this a good thing or something that should be left alone.
I never felt like I dropped either, so I'm not sure what that's about either.  :-)

You typed "castrol oil" instead of "castor oil".  Don't go asking some one for castrol oil - that is for your car.  haha!  I would recommend that you read http://www.storknet.com/cubbies/childbirth/exah2.htm before using castor oil.  It gives you bad cramps and that's not pleasant at all - especially when you're not even sure if it will work.  See what your doc says first about stripping your membranes; explain how uncomfortable you are and see if he'll help you.

I did A LOT of walking after the membrane appt, but if you get too tired or too uncomfortable then don't force yourself.  You need all the rest you can get.  Just try finding positions to sit or lay that feel the most comfortable and rest.  It'll all be over soon and so very worth it.
when your dr stripped your membranes did it hurt?  What did it feel like and how was it done?  Did he tell you that by him doing that would send you in labor at a certain amount of wait time?
If you see the plug then you know you've dialated a little.  Your cervix opens a little and this allows the plug to fall out.  :-)

Yes, it did hurt to have my membranes stripped but it was very brief.  It was SOO worth it!  You must be dialated a little or they can't do it, but when he's in there checking you for dialation he rounds out the inside of the opening roughly with his finger to strip/loosen the membranes.  He told me that 50% of his patients go into labor within 1-2 days after he does this.  

That was Saturday morning and on Sunday afternoon my water broke.  It also worked for my friend so that's how I knew to ask about it.  I was 1 week from my due date at that appt. and I had developed the PUPPS rash so he gave me the option of stripping my membranes to see if it would work or I could schedule a c-section.
:-) I had to laugh at myself that was pretty funny.  Just because I made that mistake I will not mention that anymore.  I will just stick to the walking before I do something else crazy. HAHAHA!
WHAT DOES A PLUG LOOK LIKE WHEN IT COMES OUT?
dont use castor oil to induce any labour it can make the baby pass mecconium in utro there for causing stress to the baby maybe resulting in ceserean section or worse why put your little one at risk they will come when there ready.
I am so glad to read posts about other moms due very soon!  I love coming to this sight, but lately everyone's comments are more about TTC.  I try to post questions but become very frustrated when maybe only one or two people respond!

I am 36w4d and very anxious about labor!  My edd is April 30th.  I read into every little signal my body is giving off!  I had my first noticable braxton hicks contractions the other night...about 10 in an hour!  My doctor thinks I'll go into labor within the next few weeks, but he hasn't checked for dialation yet or anything.  He won't check until 38 weeks.  I'm hoping to be slightly dialated by then.  I'm also curious if I will notice the loss of my mucus plug!  So many things to think about!  :)

Anyway, just wanted to comment.  I wish everyone the best!
Amy
I too share your views of this site.  I too love coming here and I too find it sometimes frustrating because 90% of the questions and comments are about ttc.  At the same time it's sad that so many women are going through this.  I can't relate I can only read the posts and hope everyone eventually gets their BFP.

With that said. I have 3 more months to go. I bet you're sooo excited.  This is my second and with my first I thought I was losing my plug.  My Nurse Practitioner said that it was yeast infection and prescribed something for it.  It seemed to make it worse so I said forget it.  My water broke about a week later so I think it was really my plug.  It was frothy looking.  I guess that's why the doctor said it was a yeast infection.  
Best wishes to you.
My plug with my first just came out little by little. When you wiped it looked nothing more then like cervical mucus when you're ovulating with a tint of yellow to it. With my son I lost it all at once, nasty stuff I've ever seen, and I went into labor within 4 hours. But alot of women don't even notice it. And if it comes out all at once, trust me you won't have to ask what it looks like! :) Good luck to all! and God Bless!
I have read that self inducing dosen't always work very well. And if you do the castor oil make sure its the oil that's ok to drink NOT the car oil!! I wouldn't try to do anything right now as you are only 37 weeks. At the end of pregnancy that babies lungs are developing to the very end! Mine was born at 37 1/2 and he did have breathing problems and stayed in the hospital for 10 days so be careful what you're wishing for. As for stripping your membranes I highly doubt a Dr. would do it 3 weeks early. Usually won't until you're 39-40 weeks. I know that twhere you're at is like the longest time in the world and feels like he/she will never be here. Take this time to relax a little and ejoy her last days inside of you. And remember that she is still growing if it was meant for them to come out at 36-37 weeks then they would but they say 40 for a reason :) I would honestly wait until this baby is ready and don't force anything to your body to start labor. Good luck to you and God Bless!!
Alsi, wince walking is not easy for you then you might want to consider buying an exercise ball and sitting on it when you feel uncomfortable after walking.  

The squatting position with your legs spread might help with your discomfort - and of course, the squatting might help encourage your little one to hurry up.  The slight bouncing motion up and down can be quite hypnotic and a nice distraction.
The plug looks like a huge mass of yellow CM. It's very thick. I had my son two years ago, and my plug cam out the day of my baby shower. I went to the doctor that monday for a checkup and they said it was but I hadn't dilated yet. I went into labor 2 weeks later. Hope that helps!!! Good Luck!
I am not going to try anything but walking and squatting.  So far it is really working.  I also feel like I have a yeast infection, if so this will be me second one during this pregnacy.  I am 37 weeks and 4 days so maybe it is my mucus plug trying to pass.  Good luck and congratulations to everyone:  Soon my little bundle of joy will be here and I pray that my labor goes well, same to everyone else that is either due or almost.  This site has really given me a lot of comfort and because of it I got to meet a lot of sweet people. :-)
If you have a yeast infection you really need to get that treated! Especially before you go into labor!
I have a question.  For those of you who had your membranes stripped, did you continue to pass parts of the plug (with/without blood) for several days?   Also, did you happen to have any discomfort or itching with this passing of the plug?  I am close to 40 weeks and I had mine stripped 3 days ago.  First, I had a lot of bloody snot (the plug) and now I just get a little bit here and there but I'm really irritated and itchy.  Thanks.
Ok, I have dilated one cm.  What is the best way to progress to 3cm?  I am so anxious...caster oil did not work, although I did not take but about 2 oz. because I was scared to take too much.  Please help!
I didn't have any itching after my membrane was stripped and I have lost most if not all of my mucus plug within 48 hrs of having the stripping done. I'm not sure if it because of the size of my baby (estimated large) but my dr. did mine at 37 weeks I know someone was saying be patient he will come when ready but my dr. felt the need to do it at 37 weeks so I guess he knows more than I do about being patient.