Maternal & Child Community
dilation and effacement.... how long till delievery?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

hey ladies!!!!  i hope everyone is doing well!  sorry i haven't been on in a long time, my computer crashed and i have yet to replace it.  i'm at my  parents now, and thought i'd come on to see if any of you have advice.  i'm currently 36 wks 2 days... at my appt yesterday, we found out i'm 1 centimeter dilated and 50% effaced.  i was like woohoo!  but now,  i'm wondering how long till the real deal starts?!?!?!?  please share any info or your stories.  thanks in advance and blessings to all! oh and by the way, i'll be induced on 5/31 if she doesn't come by then.
Nice.  I had my 37 week apt today and at my apt today, I was told I was 1 cm dialated and 70% effaced and the babys head was at a -1.  What does that mean -1?  And is it better to be a higher % efaced or lower?

I'm getting induced if she doesn't come earlier on June 6th.

I don't think any of these things means labor will be sooner or later, they come when their ready.  Good luck and congratulations, I'm jealous you get to have your baby earlier, but really I'm glad I'll have a June baby. :D

When does the dr start checking you.  I went for my 34w2d check up last week and he didn't do anything - he is waiting till next week when I will be 36w2d.  I thought for sure they stated it at at least 34w.
the higher % effaced, the better!  i think -1 means your baby's head is now descending into your pelvic bone area...i could be wrong though.  i'm due 6/18 but am going early cuz of pre-eclampsia and gestational diabetes.  i guess week 37 is the perfect week for moms with those problems to deliver.  good luck!
My doctor just started checking me today, at my 37 week apt.  I believe they'll start checking your at that time, unless there are medical reasons they need to check you earlier than that.
i read between 36 and 37 weeks is when they start to check you and you begin the weekly visits.  this is also when your dr should test  you for group b strep.
you can be dialated for a few weeks, just depends
I just read that the high percentage you are effaced, the thinner your cervix is.  However, that really doesn't matter if you aren't dialated, and even then, you can stay the same dialation for weeks.  So, I guess we'll have our babies when they are ready, or when we get induced. lol

It could mean that labour is imminent or you could still go weeks.  Sorry.  Hope it is sooner rather than later.
The effacing is a good thing, means that your cervix is thinning out and it's actually better to efface than dialate if you are only doing one of them.  I was at a 2 from 36 weeks on till I was induced and stayed at a 2 most of that day too.  I was effaced 50% at 36 weeks and made it to 90% by the time I went in for induction.  It just depends on the person.  My co-worker was not dialating or effacing and she was 3 days behind me for a due date, she got to be induced due to high bp and was barely anything that day she went in to the Dr.  They sent her to the hospital and were going to start an induction, she had her baby in 3 hours!  I still took about 11 hours with my second baby and was contracting pretty regular and dialated and effaced when I went in.  It's so hard to tell with babies.  At least you are making progress and baby is coming down, could be any day now or you may have to go in to be induced.  Can I ask why they are inducing so early?  Most Dr.'s will not go so soon.
I had 1 CM dilation at about the same time w/ dd. I felt like **** for several weeks after and at each visit after I increased until I was 3 cm...I went into labor a few days later..You could be very close, but I was the same way and it took a few weeks to go into active labor..You are definately close to the end, hang in there!
I was told I was 4cm dialated 100% effaced, and 0 station on April 18th, my water didn't break until 3:30am May 11th (2 days overdue) I had him less then 4 hours later. Everyone is different, I hope you get your bundle of joy soon :)
Is it just me, or does there seem to be a lot of women who have lost babies in the 2d and 3d trimester. I knew one person whose baby died at 38 weeks from a severe genetic abnormality, but reading these websites all day, so many women saying how they lost their last baby at 34 weeks, 38 weeks, 22 weeks. Im shocked, I mean I know it happens, but I felt a sence of relief in the 2d trimester now I'm freaking out. Even watching the discovery channel last night on multiples, showed one lady who had 2 miscarriages both arounf 22 weeks. What causes that besided something genetic? I know about the cord, but that's supposed to be rare. I don't know maybe I'm worrying for nothing. I just never had heard of this happening so much, and now i read it ever day and it seems common.
I know exactly how you feel...like you might go into labor tomorrow! :)  I was 36 weeks and dialated to a two and 80% effaced.  I was sure I would be delivering before my due date, but the due date came and went! :(  I ended up having my midwife strip my membranes and went into labor the next day at 4 days overdue.  The good news is you are starting to dialate so you're getting some of the "hard" work done early.  Best wishes for a smooth delivery!
thanks for the response!  my Dr. is inducing me at 37 weeks because i have pre-eclampsia and gestational diabetes.  she also assured me that 37 weeks is fully gestational, so i shouldn't worry.  i'm not complaining, believe me!  it's getting tooo hot...
You poor thing!  It's been tough for you I bet.  I don't blame ya, I had my first baby in August, it was over 100 degrees each day during the last week and a half.  I really wanted to deliver, but he was stubborn.  Hopefully you go in on your own, if not, at least you know the end is near.  Good luck with baby and I hope you are feeling well.
I have been that way for almost 2 weeks and still having mild contractions today, was monitored but they told me to go on home and see if it gets more consistant.  So.....there is no telling how much longer we have :)
I was dilated to three - doc didn't say how effaced
and that was for two weeks

next time I went in (i had had labor only at night for several nights)  I asked to be checked due to discomfort in abdomen - she said I was dilated to 5 and should go to hospital - I decided to ask if I was effaced at all - she said 90 percent - I had babies about 6 hours later

best of luck
usually you can walk around 1-3 for weeks!