Maternal & Child Community
dilation

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

dilation

Has anyone ever gone to a doctor appointment and been 1 cm dilated and gone into labor within a few days? I was told I am 1 cm dilated but high. Does he mean the baby is high? Last night I started dusting at 7pm and had some contractions but, nothing consistent.
Avatar n tn
I was dialeted to 1 for almost a month before I progressed to 3 and finally had the baby.  If you are still high I would think you still have at least a few days to go.  But some people dialate to 1 and then just keep steady dialating and have it in a day or 2, everyone is diffrent.
Avatar n tn
I went in to the doctor and I was dilated to a 1 and I was like on cool but figured it didn't really mean much, but when I went back the next week I was dilated to a 2 and 85% effaced. Everyone is different you could be dilated to a 1 for a while or not long at all don't worry your little one will be here before you know it. Good Luck I know I was trying everything to make myself go into labor. They were planning on inducing me due to hypertension but I some how went 3 weeks early I was 1 day shy of 37 weeks.
Avatar n tn
I asked my doctor about dialation and she said it isn't a very good predictor of when you'll actually go into labor.  She said some women dialate to 3cm and then go another three weeks before delivering and other women come in with no dialation and go into labor that night!
Avatar n tn
I'm not too sure about dialation either,  my doc said that I just dialated to a 2 and am 80% effaced - my due date is next friday so I'm wondering how soon this baby can come???   The waiting is the worst.....
I was 2cm dialated for 6 weeks. I also dropped 6 weeks early. Nothing happened until 2 days before my due date. At 10 cm the doctor broke my water and when that happened Marcus was 1/3 out and 2 pushes later I was done.
being 1cm is very common early and for weeks prior to labor especially if you have other young children.