Maternal & Child Community
doctor still will not listen for heartbeat

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

At my last appt i was 14 weeks preggo and he told me at my 10 week appt that his doppler would not be strong enough to hear the heartbeat so i was like ok can we listen at the 14 week and he said we could try 14 week came and went and still he will not listen for the heartbeat i am due for my next appt on the 31st so he better listen for it cause i will be 18 weeks then and he already told me to book my ultrasound how am i suppose to know my lil one is ok if he won't even listen for the heartbeat all he told me was that my uterus was moving up into my stomach

sorry i am just angry and worried
I don't blame you! I would be upset if my Dr. wouldn't check the heartbeat! I guess I would talk to him and tell him that you want to listen to it. You are paying him good money. You should be getting the care that you deserve! If he still won't listen to you then you might think about finding a different Dr. that will listen to your wants and concerns. For now you can rent a doppler so you can listen to your little ones heart.
Hi, that's really weird cause my doc tried at 9 weeks and we heard it. u def would have heard it at 14 weeks. That stinks cause that's the best part of a prenatal app. Hope u hear it soon!
If you want to rent one, just type in fetal dopplers in your search engine and there will be a bunch of sites to choose from.
Good luck!
i wonder if you could change drs if you feel uncomfortable with him. if he doesnt listen to you about the doppler, then what will he do when you are in labor?? i think a great dr is one that listens and even though maybe or maybe not you might hear the heartbeat, he does it anyway.
guess i'm spoiled cause my dr does a quick ultrasound at every visit. so we actually get to see her and her hb. (after being on here so long i realize it's a bit excessive, but i gotta admit i love the comfort of knowing and seeing she's ok) i would be furious if i were you! the others make a very good point. if something didn't feel right, would he listen to your concerns? will he listen to your childbirth preferences?
I would be VERY angry too!  When I was pg with my son, we heard the heartbeat via doppler at 11 weeks.  It could be that he has an older doppler, but still by 14 weeks it should definitely pick it up.  I am now pg with twins and had an u/s at 6 1/2 weeks since I had a m/c in March 06 and we got to hear both heartbeats at 6 1/2 weeks.  I don't think your dr. understands how reassuring it is for us to know our babies are alive and well.  If you don't want to change docs then I'd rent a doppler.

Good luck!
I agree with all of these comments. If this OB is putting you off now, I am concerned for you during delivery. This is such a wonderful time in your life.
You might need to find you another doctor.  Because it sounds like he's making excuses.  I am 25w3d and I saw my baby's heartbeat at 7w1d then heard him at 11w1d.  Everytime I go to the doctor I hear he's heartbeat.  I also have a doppler to listen to him every night.  Sometimes wrong with your doctor because that's the first thing mine's wants to do.  I hope everything goes well.  On your next visit you need to demand him to listen to the heartbeat.  Take care.
I didn't get to hear the heartbeat up until I was 16 weeks but that was when I first saw my Ob.
I agree with the rest of the girls. I had my first ultrasound at 6 weeks and saw the heartbeat no problem, then at 11 weeks (next appointment) we were able to hear it easily.  I would TELL your doctor you want to hear it, or find a new doctor. Because I'd be angry too, I don't think he/she's doing everything they should be.   Good luck :o)
MY doc tried at 9 weeks also and we were able to hear it...I am positive that by 14 weeeks you would have no problem hearing the heartbeat, loud and clear...That is strange, normally they would want to try to hear it when possible, to make sure it is healthy...very odd!
Michelle,  the biggest thing I think I would worry about at this time,  is why doesn't he have equipment that is capable of hearing a 14 week old baby's heartbeat?  Hello,  go buy the equipment!

I do understand the mentality of not listening for it really early - when it might be dicey to not hear it - this board is FULL of women who are in total panic because the heartbeat wasn't there,  they are in such pain and misery only to find out everything was fine,  it was just too early.  So I kind of understand his not wanting to listen so early that it might be difficult to find.

But he needs better equipment than that!  I thnk I'd look into switching docs too.
i agree too. my doctor starts every visit with a listen since i was 10 weeks. and we heard it via ultrasound at 7 weeks and some days. there is no reason you cannot hear it now.

if i were you i would tell the dotor that you NEED the peace of mind that comes with hearing your babies heartrate. if he is unwilling to accomodate, then change doctors. BEFORE you have a complication or go into labor and he blows that off too.

he works for you. not the other way around. the doppler they should have, SHOULD be able to hear the baby by 12 weeks, or he is ill equipped.

good luck and take care :)
Honestly, your doctor sounds like either he doesnt really care, or hes lazy.  I dont know your history and if you have experienced problems w/healthy pregnancies in the past, but its important that you communicate your concerns and reasons for wanting the testing that you want.  In this case, simply listening for a heartbeat is simple.  You are still kinda early, just out of your first trimester.  If I were you, i'd look for another doctor.  See if you can get any recommendations from people you know in the area.  

I just know me and i know i would have an attitude every time i saw him, simply because he did not want to do a simple task. I tend to be a bit of a hot head, but the bottom line is you are looking out for you and your baby.  If it seems like the doctor is not as concerned as he should be, or even as concerned as you would like him to APPEAR, you have the right to change.  Besides, they get thousands of dollars for these pregnancies, he should do whatever you ask (within reason of course)  to ease your fears.

GOOD LUCK at your 18 week visit.