Maternal & Child Community
does a hCG level of 15 mean I am pregnant?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I was starting to have some craps an some very light spotting the day after my expected ovulation day.I have had a very high risk pregnancy and a tubal about 5 months ago. so I went to the er since no one would see me in fear that it might a problem and I did not have a Dr.   The pregnancy test came back as negative and the blood test was positive with an hCG of 15, witch is very low. so I got a pelvic ultrasound and it showed nither a pregnancy or a tubal. so I went to the lab 48 hours later as instructed and got a blood hCG level again. The level was still at a 15. the er dr. said he doesn't think it is a tubal or a pregnancy but rather a bacterial imbalance that is causeing the low hCG level. I do not think this is right and I am wondering if it could be that I am pregnant but the egg is still droping so the levels have not elevaled yet. I am very upsrt and do not know what to think. Has this happened to anyone before?  
Hcg doesn't appear until implantation. Once it implants the levels continue to double every 48-72 hrs. Anything over 5 is considered pg, but if not doubling or increasing, I'm afraid it would likely not be viable. I am sorry. Since it is before ovulation for you the dr may be right about an imbalance.
if I where to be pregnant it would only be about six days after ovulation give or take a day or two
the level should have increased. also from what i understand many doctors don't consider you pregnant until you hit a level of 25 or 50. it could be an infection or polycystic ovary syndrome. at least those are a couple of the things that i have heard of causing hcg to be elevated above the negative level of 5.

are you going back to have another test done? i hope it turns out the way you would like. :)

good luck
i found out i am pregnant then i had cramps and backpain and then bleeding. i went to er and after a long and stressful day they decided to send me home. i am very early in my pregnancy which is why nothing was shown in the ultrasound and my hcg was 81 then the next day 89 and a few days later it is now 117 but still this is low right?
i just want to know if i am still pregnant as this is stressing me out soooo much i do not have any bleeding or cramps anymore. can anybody help or give me a little more info

thanks
Well my situation is very crazy, on november 4th i took the abortion pill cause the doctor told me the baby wasnt normal, i was 7 weeks preg and till now jan 16 my HCG levels still showing 15 wich means i still preg, i went to the et cause i got heavy bleeding and cramps but the er doc said that it may be a sign of infection but i have no fever or any other symtoms (symptoms), i know its been such a long time since i had the pill abortion and my HCG levels shouldnt be 15 but my question is what is wrong with me? Am desperate!!! Plzzzzzzzz help me, i have two small childrens to live for!!