Maternal & Child Community
does ovulation occur while on birth control?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I just read that while on birth control pills, ovulation does not occur. Is this true?
hi. ovulation is NOT supposed to occur while you are on the pill, but it can happen...i have heard of people getting pregnant while on the pill..of course they SAY they took it the way they were supposed to and never missed any, but i dont know...i dont 100% trust the pill. i would definately treat your body like you ARE pregnant. and take a test when it gets closer to when your period will come. a lot of times though, a test before a missed period can be a false neg. so i would also retest once you miss a period (assuming of course that you might). good luck and i hope you get the answer that you want from those tests
The pill is as reliable as the person taking it, the reason they name 1% chance or 2% chance or 4% chance is largely because of human error.  Take your pill exactly as instructed at the same time of day each day and you will help keep from being one of those percents.  If you get the flu or whatever and are throwing up, abstain that month unless you have other protection.  All the best!
it isn't supposed to happen, but my mom got pg with me and my brother while on the pill.  if you think that you may be pg, you should take a test.  good luck
It's not supposed to, but you still have a 4% chance or so.
I was careful with the pill, took it at the same time every day, never missed, not on any antibiotics...still got pregnant with my son, one month to the day after I got married.  Of course he's a blessing, but still a surprise.  My mom got pregnant with my brother on the pill too.  Just be careful and know that nothing is 100%.  My Dr. warned me that some people have more luck than others, so I just really watch my timing too along with the pill.