Maternal & Child Community
drinking coca cola at 28 weeks

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

drinking coca cola at 28 weeks

So i've heard different things about drinking coca cola as well as other beverages with caffeine in it.    I will be 28 weeks on tomorrow (Monday), is it ok to drink a cup of coke a day?
I drank coke my entire pregnancy.  I never drank soda (coke) before I got preggo. I just didnt like it.  While pregnant I was craving it.  I gave up smoking so felt that I can drink a can of coke a day.  My son is fine he is 3 weeks now.  With my first son I did everything by the book and he is a hyper little guy and wild as well.  I think you should be fine.  They say caffeine doesnt harm the baby, but again there are new things and studies on the news every day.
the issue with caffenine during pregnancy is that it raises your heartrate. therefore raising the babys heartrate...what my doctor said. your feel it. ur 28 weeks. when you drink a cola or anything else similar. your baby wil start flying around.  i drink my caffeine. but i do try and watch what i drink. they recomend 1 cup of coffee a day. i dont like coffee. but i do like my coke. they make "baby" cokes. really small cokes rather than a big bottle. i buy thoses (even tho they are slightly more expensive than the big kind). so i have my caffeine but its small. and i know that should be alright
I have always tried to avoid ALL caffeninated drinks during my pregnancies if I can, but admit to still eating a lot of chocolate (which has caffenine).  My Ob says that I can have 1 cup of coffee a day (I don't drink coffee).  So, going by that standard, here are some figures from the Mayo clinic:

1 cup of plain, brewed 8oz of coffee= 95 milligrams of caffeine
1 Coca Cola Classic, 12oz can= 35 milligrams of caffeine
1 Diet Coca Cola, 12 oz can= 47 milligrams of caffeine (so you're better off with regular!)

Incidentally, regular Pepsi has a  higer caffeine level (38 milligrams) than Coke, but lower Diet Pepsi level (35 milligrams).  Also, when pregnant, I instead go for the "clear" sodas-- 7-up or Sprite (0 caffeine), Fanta (0), or Root Beer (0) <---but be careful, "Barq's" root beer company has ADDED caffeine to their cans (it doesn't naturally occur in root beer).  Stick to the other brands- A&W, Dads, Hires, etc.

Obviously, you also have to keep in mind that soft drinks have a LOT of sugar and empty calories... avg of around 150 calories and 10 teaspoons of sugar per can. (And the phosphoric acid in sodas has been proven to leach calcium from your bones and disolve the enamel of your teeth.)

Anyway, I don't think that 1 can of Coke a day will harm the baby, but maybe try to instead have a sparkling water spritzer.  I love the fruit juice flavored water drinks that have a little zig because they are carbonated.  It helps me get the 2.4 liters (about 10 cups) of water a day I'm suppose to drink when pregnant.
It's the only thin I drank during my both pregnancy!!1 I have two healthy 3 yrs and 3 mns. old boys. Good luck
I drank tons of coke with both of my kids (I have a 7 yo girl and 4 yo girl - both healthy).  However, I did try to drink the caffeine free coke if at all possible. When I was in a restaurant they generally only had coke with caffeine in it and I did drink it.  I only like the non-diet soda so it is almost impossible to find it caffeine free out in a restaurant.

I am pg now and am only drinking caffeine free coke since they have linked caffeine to miscarriage (I think especially at the beginning of pregnancy.)