Maternal & Child Community
ear infection/ fluid on the ear

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

ear infection/ fluid on the ear

Three weeks ago, my 8month old son was diagnosed with an ear infection. His symptoms included pulling on his ears, low fever, crying/screaming when I laid him down, etc.  He was given 10 days of amoxicillin, but his symptoms (other than the fever) never really seemed to go completely away.  He has been super fussy, where before he literally NEVER fussed and was the happiest/easiest baby EVER.  My daycare provider says he is like a completely different child, and I agree.

Friday night, he screamed all night and had a fever again, so I took him to the doc Sat morning.  She says there is "still some fluid behind his ear", but it is not infected and he doesn't need antibiotics.  She also said "I think he just has a cold".  I was not happy with this diagnosis, and told her so.  Friday and Saturday night he screamed and cried in pain, he literally couldn't open his eyes he was in so much pain.  Now, my daycare provider is insisting I take him back to the doc, but I feel like i'm gonna get the same response.

What do you all think?  Anyone had a similar situation?  I guess it could be teething pain, but there are no signs of any teeth, and i have never seen a child cry in so much pain from teething.  Has anyone ever found that amoxicillin doesn't work for their child?  I'm not sure what to do here, and if I do take him back to the doc, I want some ideas of how to handle it.
Thanks!!
Well, you can take him back as it might have become infected. I know some kids whose ears developed a raging infection over night. It is very possible that there's just fluid from a cold and it's not infected. If it's not infected, it would be irresponsible of the ped to prescribe meds. In fact, it is even becoming more common to wait to prescribe antibiotics even when it is mildly infected, as studies show that it resolves itself just as fast without antibiotics. Most peds no longer prescribe antibiotics just because parents insist (which used to be the practice) because it makes it harder for kids to fight off infections later on.

when he is screaming, you can give tylenol or motrin. since it doesn't seem to be improving, i would take him back just for another check. i know our peds are happy to do that and if they see evidence of infection upon return, they will prescribe.  however, if he has no fever, it's most likely not an infection.
Thanks, we went back yesterday, and his OTHER ear is infected!  = (
I understand about the antibiotics, but since he DID have a fever, something had to be wrong, right?  Since a fever is a sign of infection.  That was the reason we went into the doctor, becuase he was burning up and his cheeks were flaming.

I know these things can come on fast, i just hate making "wasted" trips to the doc, exposing them to God-know-what while we're in there.  Now my 3 y/o has a fever, along with a croupy cough. Can't say it's from visiting the doctor's office, but can't say it isn't, either...  So the oc saw him Monday, too, and said, "well, it's probably just a viral thing, but bring him back tomorrow if it continues."  ArgghhhH!!!  OF COURSE he'll still have it tomorrow!  

Ear infections are awful!  I would go in & be told that there was fluid, only to have little Cam throwing up & spiking a high fever later in the day.  Amox never worked for us,m but Cam & Carson both had bad ears & would get them back to back, at times Cam would be on meds & the other ear would get infected 1/2 way thru the course.  It got to the point where we had to get rocephin shots to clear them.  At 3, Cam hasn't had one now in I bet almost a year,  Hopefully yours outgrows them too.  Be persistent with the ears, I was never wrong, it always turned into something.