Maternal & Child Community
early menopause or pregnant?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

early menopause or pregnant?

Hey - anyone out there that can maybe help me - I am 40, and about 7 weeks late - took a pg test-neg-had a lot of cramping a few weeks ago thought that I was going to start-never did. A lot of back pain and leg aches too.  I am usually a "right on the minute" starter and have been for years-and years-I am having mixed emotions - scared to death about what everyone else will think if I am pg (too old)- especially my hubby and his family-and then the "I'll NEVER" thing (my mom was 42 when she had my little sister - I'll NEVER DO THAT! famous last words - NEVER!) I was going to be done by 30! Yeah-right-NOT! I've had more after 30 than before. But I certainly would never NOT take another baby! Love em! But, I'm just not sure what to do at this point - I have a really hard time staying pg - usually m/c between 12-20 weeks (12 times)and on the other hand, not sure if it is just pre-menopause symptoms- anyone have any suggestions? Maybe take another test...? SCARY!
if the pg test came up neg. have you thought about taking one of those OTC menopause test kits....? just a thought i saw them advertised on tv the other day.  
otherwise i  would re-test for pg and if it comes up neg still, put a call into the doctor just to make sure it isn't something else going on.
~nanci
Never heard of a menopause test so did a search and found this:

http://www.testsymptomsathome.com/fs_gen01.asp?portalid=GOO

Estroven Menopause Monitor Product Page

The Estroven Menopause Monitor is the first and only FDA Cleared At-Home Test for perimenopause and menopause. It is 99.9% accurate, easy to use, and takes only 15 minutes from urine sample collection to results. The Estroven Menopause Monitor is for women between the ages of 35 and 55 who want to know if recently missed menstrual periods, hot flashes, night sweats, insomnia, decreased sexual desire, vaginal dryness, or irritability are signaling that they are experiencing perimenopause or menopause.

For women in their mid to late 30s, the Estroven Menopause Monitor can also be used periodically to gauge whether they have entered perimenopause and are approaching the end of fertility.

This FDA Cleared urine test for perimenopause and menopause works by measuring a specific hormone (Follicle Stimulating Hormone or FSH) that increases in level as women enter perimenopause and menopause. The Estroven Menopause Monitor will detect and give a positive result if a woman
thanks for the suggestion - I had never heard of such a test - just call me dumb! You would think that I should be a little more knowledgeable in such things - but I think when it comes to yourself - ya just can't think as clear! :o)I think that I'll try one more pg test - then try the other - THANKS for the info -
Hi,I'm 49. Been going though meno for the past 4yr. Didn't live with my active duty US military Army husband for over 2yr. of that time - due to his job. We have been together since the end of Aug.04. And had great sex every day since then - I'm over 2months late on my period - that's never happened before! Any ideas other than encouraging me to go see a doc? :-) Thanks.