Maternal & Child Community
early potty training
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

early potty training

Recently in a post several women mentioned having trained their little one before the age of 2. I have potty trained over 50 kids, but none so young. I didn't think it was realistic. But here I am asking for your experiences...

DD is 15 months. I recently bought her a potty just to keep her busy in the bathroom while I'm in there and get her used to it. Last week I saw her make her poopie face, so i put her on the potty. She pooped and i chalked it up to good timing on my part. Same thing happened the next day. The following day i noticed her diaper was dry so i sat her on the potty. She immediately peed on i figured my timing is so great! The next day she peed on the potty 3 times, staying dry in between. I'm not spending the day in there- taking her every 2 or 3 hours or so (whenever i'd change her). Now she's staying dry overnight and holding it in until she gets on the potty. It's now obvious it's not a cooincidence- she is actually controling her bladder. I know she isn't emotionally ready, so we'll just continue what we are doing (and keep saving a lot of diapers!)

So... my question is... to all of you who attempted to train early, did your child lose interest? Should I handle the process with a 15 month old the same way i would with a 3 year old? I like that she is doing it so matter of factly. She's too young to understand bribes and rewards and i'm hoping it stays that way. I'd love to hear if and at what point you had success.
Related Discussions
12 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
My DD was 16 months old when she let me know she was ready.

She hated wet diapers and would bring me a diaper and plop her self down for me to change her.

I started her on the the potty chair and she took to it immediately. She LOVED wearing big girl panties and within a month she was trained. Never wet the bed after that either.

She made it so easy for me.

Blank
93532_tn?1349374050
Nope, my boys did not show interest until they were over 2 and did not completely train until they were 3.5. I guess my boys were potty-challenged...
Blank
171768_tn?1324233699
i'm not even sure she'd recognize that big girl panties go on her butt instead of her head!
Blank
LOL...Try them on her!

My DD knew it was something different and did not want the diapers. She would kick and scream when I attempted to put a diaper on.
Blank
consider yourself lucky.  DD is 25 months and refuses to go on the potty.  She was showing lots of interest in going on the potty when she was around 16 months but I didn't train her b/c I thought she'd regress when I had DS (I had him 2 months later).  Guess what?  She lost interest and now refuses to sit on it.  I don't have anyone to blame but myself.
Blank
13167_tn?1327197724
Tired,   I saw the most incredible National Geographic a couple years ago.  Mothers (I think it was in India) didn't use diapers.  They just predicted their infant's need to "go" and held them over a big huge tureen to pee or poop.

This is what you've done.  You're observant and know when your daughter needs to go,  and you put her on the toilet at those times.

True potty training comes when children recognize within their own bodies that they need to go,  and they either get to the bathroom themselves or announce to an adult they need to go.  She's not doing that.  You're placing her there,  when she's about to go.

Which is GREAT.  If she still wants to be doing that for the next year or so until she herself can predict by how her body feels that she needs to use the bathroom, you're doing great.  Until around then,  you'll have to do this for her.  Which isn't a bad thing.

Best wishes.
Blank
162948_tn?1205256292
I am AMAZED she stays dry all night. My dd is same age and we had to buy diaper doublers and huggies overnights and half the time she still pees through and wakes up in wet pjs. One of my friends little girls started potty training about 16 months similar to your dd except she was taking her diaper off to use the potty, but not consistently. She was fully potty trained for day time around 2, but ironically still wears diapers at night. My ds was potty trained at 3 years for day and night, once he figured it out that was that!
Blank
171768_tn?1324233699
it's funny you mentioned that rockrose. Because i was sure i was doing that too. yesterday DH had her and being a daddy isn't quite as quick as mommy. he brought her down when she woke up and felt that she was dry and but her down for a minute to do something. He said she got a frantic look on her face, grabbed a small metal pumpkin bucket (the size of a potty), sat down on it and said "potty." He picked her up and her diaper was soaked. I laughed my @ss off when he told me this, and got visions of peepee in every bucket and vase around the house when we do finally try.

i normally wouldn't try training until she were mature enough and had the language skills to communicate to me that she has to go. And I won't. i guess i'm worried about what Me2mommy2b described- right now she is going very matter of factly and willingly. I ask and she tottles in there. i don't want to push, but i don't want to lose that window either.

it's funny how it's so hard to apply advice you've given to dozens of parents to yourself. what's throwing me is her age, since i always worked with older kids.
Blank
159063_tn?1247276417
rock rose was right on the money with her post, this is so very true, however, it appears as though your little one is trying to let you know she does have to go, some  children are much more advanced then others and this could be the case. just keep doing what your doing, if she loses interest in a few weeks, then so be it, she is very young.. chalk it up to all the diapers you saved by her using the potty, if she continues to use the potty,. training earlier then her peers then good for her!!!!
Blank
167_tn?1374177417
My oldest daughter was 18 months. But I did it wrong. It worked, but I wouldn't recommend it. I would just sit her on the potty until I caught her going, then reward. After a few weeks of this, she learned how to recognize it and that there would be a reward. I think I basically forced her to be ready. I waited until around two with my three other girls. Something tells me Brody will be three before he's ready! We shall see...
Blank
218870_tn?1240259255
the pee pee in the bucket thing is very true.  I watched a little girl and right around two I was doing the same thing.  I put little panties on her to see if she would hold it.  the next thing I new she was on a round bucket that holds blocks and it was full of pee and the panties were soaked. I would watch any and all buckets!!!!
Blank
I personally think she is ready.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Maternal & Child Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949