Maternal & Child Community
early pregnancy problems

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

early pregnancy problems

Please help! My last cycle was 1 nov/06. After that I didn't have anything. Dec 15th i had a neg test. Jan 1st07 I thought that I was having a cycle again, however, it was light and more brown than red. After a week, I noticed that I had sore breasts still and a strange feeling in my stomach. I took a test 4 days ago and it was positive. I took another test to be sure 3 days ago and that was also + . I still have strange sensations in my stomach and sometimes when I beathe deeply I have a mild stabbing pain(almost like a stitch) in the left of my stomach. Last night I bled ever so slightly. I am convinced that I have miscarried. I have a u/s tomorrow. has anyone ever experienced these problems and would a home test still be positive?

I really hope you can help, I was on a massive high and now i am so deflated and upset.
I am having a miscarriage now, and my hcg levels are still high enough to show that I am still pregnant.  Cruel, I know.  The only way you will know for sure is from your doctor checking you out.  They knew I was when I started bleeding (and I mean BLEEDING) and my cervix was opened, where it wasn't before.

However, I have been told over and over that a little bleeding during pregnancy can be perfectly normal, so don't panic yet (yeah right...I know).

Good luck.  I hope you aren't going through a m/c!
Marie is right.  A little bleeding is not always a sign of a miscarriage.  I bled bright red blood for a few hours when I was six weeks pregnant and the US showed a healthy baby.  I am now almost 12 weeks.  Just hang in there.  Try to stay off your feet and stay as calm as you can.  Good luck.
I was bleeding when I found out I was pregnant and they gave me an u/s.  I was only 4.5 weeks at that point and the u/s showed fluid (too early for baby to be there) and they thought it was ectopic.  Turns out it was a cyst that ruptured and I went on to have a good pregnany I am now 23 weeks.  I bleed a lot during the first 12 weeks.
Thank you so much for your help. I am sorry to hear your news, you must really be going through hell.

My GP examined me externally today and referred me for a scan tomorrow. I will update.
Take care xxx
I haven't had any spotting, but depending on how far along you are I think the pain could be normal! I had horrible pains in my left ribcage before and shortly after I got my BFP and one day they just went away. My mom said she had the same pains with me and my brother! Good luck!
That makes perfect sense, Kay.  It's hard to totally enjoy your first trimester for that fear always in the back of your mind.  You are afraid you will be even more devastated if the worst were to happen.  

What I tried (and what I will try in the future) is to just take it one day at a time.  Live in the moment and enjoy your pregnancy day by day.  Don't think ahead to the future...I tried not to envision a baby or a miscarriage (although I must say that I did very poor at not worrying about m/c).  I think it helped a little when the m/c happened.  If I had already planned or envisioned my child's life, then it would have been worse.
It makes perfect sense you are afraid to get your hopes up.  But that is ok, because now you will be even that much more overjoyed tomorrow :)  I will keep you in my prayers.
thank you all..Lots of these threads have given me hope, although in a strange way i want to stay negative and that way if tomorrow doesn't go well, i won't be in such a state..if that makes sense!

xx
Ive updated further on with this info...

Hi, I wrote yesterday about the problems I am having with bleeding and possible miscarriage. I had a scan today and she said that she thinks I may only be 4.5 weeks . My uterus is empty but there is a thickening of the womb and a cystic area (?)which may be consistant with a pregnancy. However it is too soon to tell by a scan. She has taken blood for hcg levels and will call me at 5pm. I have to return in 48hrs for a second to see if this is an ongoing pregnancy or not. I'm still confused. She did an u/s scan and an internal scaN. Would there not be something to see if I had miscarried? I am still confused! I will know on monday if my hcg's have doubled but it seems like an eternity! xxxx Thansk to all for help so far