Maternal & Child Community
endometrial ablation can you still have a baby or is it too risky?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

what are the risks and chances of getting pregnant after this procedure???
Avatar n tn
You absolutely shouldn't get pregnant after an ablation.  You shouldn't have an ablation until after you have completed childbearing.
Avatar n tn
First of all, I really feel for you - I know how hard it is to want another child and believe that's not possible.  Unfortunately, after an endometrial ablation there is really no way your uterus can safely support a pregnancy.  There would be tremendous risks for you and the baby.  Google a bit and you'll find some helpful articles on the subject.  There is only one case that I could find where a woman succesfully had a uterine pregnancy after an ablation - it was so rare that the doctors published her case.  The unanimous consensus is that pregnancy after an ablation is extremely risky and will most likely end in miscarriage or worse.  It really sounds like you may want to discussing with your fiance to see if adoption or a birth other (surrogate) may be an option for you.  I wish you the best.
I disagree with the previous response. I recently found out I was pregnant- much to my surprise. My ablation was 2 yrs ago and i do still have a menstrual cycle. I have been told my Dr. that yes it is risky but if you still menstruate you have more of an opportunity of having better odds with your pregnancy! To top my ablation, my husband had a vasectomy about ten yrs ago. Talk about a miracle baby! Read more about it , it helped ease my mind!! Good luck!!
~scared yet hopeful~
I seen ur post. And over the past 3-4 months I have been having bleeding on and off. It started off really light and spotty and a couple weeks ago it seemed like a normal period, I go in for an ultra sound tomorrow. Could it be possible for a pregnancy? Or something else?