Maternal & Child Community
etopic pregnancy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

etopic pregnancy

i have stage 4 endo.  after one failed attempt via iui , i did ivf. i was thrilled to discover i was pregnanct. my first test revealed super high betas over3500.  after some pain, my RE diagnosed it was etopic, due to sono, high betas which rose strangely.  just had d & c and right tube removed.  Awaiting results to determine if pregnancy was just etopic or molar as well. anyone have experience with this.?
There are many, many women here who have had ectopics.  Its upsetting, and I'm so sorry you've had to go through this.  

I hope it wasn't a molar pregnancy.  Please let us know what happens, and I hope you recover quickly.
I am so sorry for your loss.  Please follow your doctor's advice on timing a new try, if it was a molar pregnancy.  I'm glad the IVF worked for you even though this was the outcome -- it means you can have good hope for the next time.  Good luck.
thanks for the support. i will keep you updated, back to the RE on monday. hopefully he will have answers from biopsys then.  i guess the only good that came of this is that i can get pregnant! it's just so hard to say that i was and now im not...
I have a question-  if you see this peek or annie...  you both mentioned a molar pregnancy and hoping that wasn't the case-  after 2 years on this site and seeing this term used quite often, I thought I would google it,  since I really didn't know what a "molar pregnancy" was...  and...  now I am confused---  when I lost my second baby, at 7 weeks, I had VERY high hcg levels, a sac, but no baby, the sac grew between ultrasounds, but betas dropped slightly, and I ended up having a d&c.... I had the POC tested and they have some sort of scientific name for it...  tetropily xxxy or something like that...  anyway, the doc told me it was because more then one sperm fertilized one egg---- and the baby had 2 full sets of chromosomes...  why did no one mention a "partial molar pregnancy" to me- is there a difference in what happened to me, and someone actually diagnosed with a molar pregnancy?  Because I was not cautioned to wait, more then the standard 1 month, before trying again, and 3 months later I was pregnant with Colten...   just trying to understand the terminology and all....  

wishing---  I think you will have great success on your next try, best of luck to you in your recovery-  it is not an easy time.....  hang in there.
Did the doc say trisomy xxy?  In any case, it does sound like a partial molar pregnancy, and it surprises me that there would be no caution on ttc... apparently there is the possibility of some of the cellular material migrating in your body and doing damage by continuing to grow.  But maybe he had confidence that the way they treated you for your miscarriage handled that concern.  (Did you have methotrexate and a lot of hCG tests to follow up?)  Anyway, I'd ask my doctor for sure, or even an oncologist, to see if there is any information out there about whether there are risks this much later.  The primary risk period for this cell-migration-and-continuing-to-grow thing (in all the materials I've seen on molar pregnancy) is only 1 year.
thanks annie-  I was just curious, as I never knew what a molar or partial molar pregnancy was or what the risk was-  

I looked up my post from back then-  92 XXXX Tetraploidy is what the doc told me back then about the POC----   I loved my OB and trusted him completely-  he did do an ultrasound 6 weeks following the D&C, but no other hcg tests---  it was over 2 years ago now-  I am not worried about it or anything,  and I do not plan on having anymore kids anyway-

I was just wondering, and thought maybe others might wonder about what a molar pregnancy was and what the risks were concerning one....   thanks again!
hum,  googling that now I see that it must have been a "partial molar pregnancy"---  I see the term "mole" and "molar" in a lot of really confusing articles about it...  anyway...  just made me wonder why I was not cautioned about ttc or anything-  perhaps because I had a healthy pregnancy before this one?  

These questions would be more for anyone else out there going though a miscarriage or molar pregnancy, and might be wondering what the causes of concern might be-  for those of you who have more knowledge on the subject---
The only thing I would wonder about is whether there is a continuing risk of cells having migrated and divided inappropriately somewhere else in the body, or if that risk is all cleared out by now.  (Or if you would have seen obvious symptoms by now if that happened, so time has run out on this risk.)
hum,  I don't know---  I did get pregnant with Colten 3 months after the d&c, and he seems normal- some days!  Wouldn't something like that have affected a new baby if it were still in my body?  I was reading that 90% of women who have had a molar pregnancy need no further treatment following a d&c or natural expulsion of the "mole" or fetus....  

I don't think I'd make an appointment specifically for this,  but maybe I'll mention it to my doctor next time I see her...  my previous OB retired from the profession to develop some techy thing that allows OB docs to monitor patients on their handhelds...  anyway...  maybe I'll mention it to her-  seems like if people can get pregnant a year following a molar pregnancy safely,  I am fine-  plus,  if my hcg levels hadn't gone back to zero, I wouldn't have been able to conceive Colten either...  

I didn't mean to hijack this post-  I was just getting curious and thought I'd ask around about it-  seems weird---  I had two prior miscarriages, both started and ended exactly the same way, but Molar Pregnancy was never mentioned to me-  either time-  and I had different docs for both- in different states....  we did go to a genetic councilor following the second miscarriage, who tested both DH and I for abnormalities, and he did not seem concerned about us ttc again right away either....  so perhaps that isn't what mine was considered,  or perhaps they were convinced they "got" everything...