Aa
A
A
Close
explain vasectomy to child
My husband is having a vasectomy.  He will be recovering at home for a few days.  What do we tell our child?  How much do we say?  We want to be honest, but we aren't interested in his vasectomy becoming common knowledge on the playground.  
Cancel
6 Answers
Page 1 of 1
tmv
Depending on the childs age, you can keep it simple and not go into too much detail.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
172023 tn?1334675884
How old is the child?

I would just say "Daddy has an owie and has to rest" if the child is very young.  If older, I guess just tell a simple version of the truth, with a reminder that this is private, not to be talked about with random strangers.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
93532 tn?1349374050
My dh had his done last year just after our oldest turned 5. He didn't need a graphic detail of what happened, just simply that daddy had surgery and was going to be sore for a while. When he does ask about another brother or sister, we simply tell him we have the perfect amount with our three boys and that we don't need anymore.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
Why do you feel the need to tell the child EXACTLY what's going on?  Since you said "playground" I'll think it's safe to assume he's young.  I wouldn't go into much details.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
221025 tn?1332558946
I gotta say I agree with peek and Andi - nice and simple - I think Andi's suggestion was just about perfect - besides if you will do "that" to Daddy - what might you do to him????  Children will worry about the weirdest things - don't give him any additional reasons
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
127124 tn?1326739035
I certainly wouldn't go into detail.  I think Andi's right.   Tell him/her daddy had surgery and will be sore for a few days.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Do you know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Answer
Post Answer
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Maternal & Child Community Resources