Maternal & Child Community
extremely large uterus

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

extremely large uterus

I am a student nurse.  I need to find out this information.  I have a patient that was infertile for many years.  She has finally had a baby after several attempts.  She is 41 years old having her first child. When the doctors did her Csection, her uterus was extremely large, 5 times larger than normal. She had massive blood loss. They say it is a very rare condition.  Her uterus is 10 cm thicker than normal.  Please, if anyone can help me with any information on this, it would be greatly appreciated.  I need to get the information for my instructor, she says she has not seen something like this either. It is not very common. Thank you very much anyone pleasssssssssssse lol Becki
i have nothing better to do this morning so i looked up this enlarged uterus thing and i found a site FULL of women that have had or are having hysterectomies because of an enlarged uterus. it seems the concensous (sorry bad sp) was that it is most likely a problem called andomyosis. which was stated that it is a lot like endometriosis but it is contained within the walls of the uterus instead of around the tubes and overies.
they said it could also be caused by fibroids.

hope you find the answers you are looking for

~nanci
I  too would like more information.  I was given the same diagnosis. I went in for a post partum ck-up after the birth of my 3rd son and was scheduled for an ultra sound for further evaluation and was told I have a large uterus.  

The doctor performed a small D&C on a third visit I was told that the normal size uterus should be 7 cm and mine is 17 cm, in thickness it should be 2 cm and mine is 10 cm thick.

Tomorrow I have a fourth appointment to get the results of the D&C that was performed on my last visit.

I will keep you posted!

Gris~
I was told from having a ultra sound that I have a large uterus. Is that the reason, I wonder I can't get pregrent. But I gave birth to a baby boy 11years ago.  
I've also been diagnosed with an enlarged uterus. My doctor sugested a histerectomy, but I'm young, only 37. The pain makes me want to do it, but how if I wanted to have more children in the near future? What does the hormone progesterone have to do with this?
Well this sums it up for me.  I am 43...never been able to get pregnant.  I was told again yesterday (during a pap smear test) that I have a VERY large uterus.  I have endometriosis, had two laporoscopys and after my last one they did tell me I have a large  uterus and also diagnosed me with adenomyosis.  Do I have all the luck or what?  I am actually pain free now after approximately 25 years of severe, painful painful painful...did I say painful...pain.  Still no luck in child bearing though.  Just glad I am painfree for now.
I had an enlarged uterus, 18".  On top of that, an 11cm cyst, tons of fibroids, a mass on my left ovary and endometriosis.  I'm 42 and have never been able to have children.  Needless to say, I just had a hysterectomy 4 weeks ago.  I have heard that the enlarged uterus can be caused by many things one of which is being overweight.  Also what was mentioned above about fibroids.
You might be referring to a very specific condition that can present with bleeding, abruption, or other conditions.

It's called a Couvalaire uterus.  The uterine muscle fills up with blood and this prevents it from contracting normally after delivery, and the patient may hemorrhage severely.  Often a hyst is needed.  

Peek