Maternal & Child Community
fertilization/gestation

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

fertilization/gestation

I have a question and I guess it's more a probability question than anything. I have been with my boyfriend for 71/2 years and we have a son together. Unfortunately, shortly before I found out I was pregnant I had a stupid drunken moment after a Christmas party and had unprotected sex with someone. I've never told my boyfriend but It weighs pretty heavy on my mind. I had my son by C-Section on November 1st and my original due date was Nov 15th. I am currently facing a court ordered paternity test and am now wondering if I should be concerned that my boyfriend is not the father. By all the calculations I have done he is the father but I'm afraid there is a factor I might be missing, please help. I had sex with the other man on Dec.20th. He says he pulled out but we were both pretty messed up. It's all a blurr. In early January I had a regular period and then I got it again at the end of Jan., early Feb. but this was short. I found out I was pregnant the 18th of March and like I said, my son was born Nov. 1st. He was 8lbs 10 oz so I can't imagine how much bigger he would have been in 2 more weeks.. I calculated by my last period I might have gotten pregnant in early Februauy, but I'm so afraid my mistake in December may have resulted in my pregnancy and the doctors were way off. The only thing that was ever said about my ultra-sound was that my baby was big, but never inconsistent with the age at the time. In 7 years my boyfriend and I have never used birth control, could I have gotten pregnant in Dec. and just been way overdue, or am I overreacting.
I dont think the pregnancy was from the fling in December.  you would have been 2 months over due... and that would have caused extreme complications with the baby,
If you had sex with this guy in Dec and didn't give birth until Nov. then I don't think it could be his baby.  That's 11 months and baby's aren't that overdue.  It's more likely you concieved in Feb/March.
the second period sounds to me like it may have been implantation bleeding which means you did not concieve (conceive) in December, you would have been pregnant way too long.

i dont think its possible that the fling is the father.
Hi. Sorry about the stress you have on top of having a newborn.

The way my gyno calculates due date (yes, they do have a little chart) is by counting back three months and then adding seven days.

By December 20th you would count back three months -- Nov. 20, Oct. 20, September 20 and then add 7 days -- making an EDD for unprotected sex on December 20 -- SEPT. 27, 2006.  Seeing as you are over a month past (5 weeks) it seems TO ME that it would be unlikely this careless moment would result in this pregnancy.

Likewise if you delivered on Nov. 1 (doing this in reverse -- deducting a week and adding 3 months) -- your likely date of conception would be February 26th (even later if your original due date of the 15th was correct and you delivered early).

I hope this turns out to be the case for you.  No judgments -- but do be careful -- you have other people's (your children)lives in your hands.

I wish you luck.
thanks so much for your imput. I have been going over the numbers and dates so much that nothing was making sense to me anymore. We jsut bought a house and built a room for the baby and I want the indescretion to stay in the past.
I did have a case of Preeclampsyia in Oct and was put on bed rest by the 12th of Oct. Other than that no complications.
Sorry you're having to go through that, I hope this bit of info helps. My first daughter was conceived on Dec 21, 1994 and was born on Sept 23, 1995. I'm sure it was that day (give or take 3-5 days for sperm viability), but the point is if you had gotten pregnant in Dec you would've been due in Sept not Nov. So, take a deep breath and be easy.
I don't think you got pg in December...no way.