Maternal & Child Community
fetal heartbeat at 6 weeks

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

fetal heartbeat at 6 weeks

I just had a transvag US.  I thought I was 7 weeks, only measured 6 weeks (Ovulated late??).  We saw a heartbeat, but the machine did not pick it up/count it.  Is it too early, or is it too weak??  I'm to have another US in 10 days....going nutz!
I would not worry about anything right now.  You may just be early.  I read that it is possible to see the h/b at 6 weeks but I cannot remember the norm.   If you do not get anything at your next u/s then I would ask just what it means.  I had an u/s in Sept of 03 at 12 weeks and they were unable to detect a h/b and I had a D&C the next day.  There have been stories though of people NOT finding the h/b and going on to have a happy healthy pg.  Do not give up just yet.  Hang in there.  Good Luck to you and let us know how it goes.  Congrats on the pregnancy.
you "saw" the heart beat....so am i to assume that you just didn't get to "hear" the heart beat???

if that is the case then rest assured it was probably the machine the tech or doctor was using.  an u/s machine works by sending out sound waves into the body and when the waves bounce off an object (like a baby) they send an image back.  the doppler the doctor uses in the office to hear the heartbeat works the same way.  
with that being said....every peice of equipment works on a different level.  the dopplers used in the office are at the lowest level a 1....the u/s machine works at about a 5.
a 5 is too powerfull to "hear" the heartbeat. the waves go right through instead of bouncing off of the rhythm of the heart.  that's why you can see it but not hear it.  because the dopplers are so weak is also why you can't hear with those until about 10 weeks pg, the heart has to be bigger.
i hope all that made sense and you understand my babling, i know i didn't get to 'hear' the heartbeat at my first u/s either and i asked why and that is what both the tech and my doctor said.
good luck. congrats on getting to see the heartbeat.
~nanci
sorry let me rephrase one thing....a 5 is too powerful to hear the heartbeat this early...the hear is VERY small.

sorry just wanted to be clear
~nanci
I hope that all goes well.  I would go to this web-site to get some encouragement from ladies who have been told that they were going to lose their baby, yet ended up having healthy babies.  The u/s machine is probably not picking things up just like Nancy mentioned.  Also, the mhz of the machine makes a difference as well. Take care and keep us posted.  

http://home.earthlink.net/~misdiagnosed/
I had an u/s at 6 wks and the heartbeat was weak...they scared me to death that I would lose the baby.  But at the next ultrasound, the heartbeat was up to 155 and they said everything looked great!  I am now at 10 wks.  I wouldn't worry at all yet, I think it is still too early!  Good luck!
I went to my first doctor's appointment last Thursday.  By my lmp I was 10 weeks and the baby measured 6 weeks and 6 days, 1 week younger than expected.  That was found by a vaginal ultrasound.  But no heartbeat was found.  I'm due for another vu/s this Thursday.  I also had hcg levels cked Monday.  Not sure what to think of the results concidering I have to have them checked again tomorrow.  I'm just worried it was to early for the heartbeat and maybe Thursday will be too, but the doctor will say to have a D and C.
I had an US done at exactly 6 weeks, and I wish she had never told me the rate, because it was only 89!  She said that was normal to be that low so early, but everywhere I read says 100 or above is normal.  So we saw it, but the rate is very worrisome to me.  Maybe that's why a lot of techs won't give out the rate!!
I too had an ultrasound done at 6 weeks and my baby's heart rate was 90, I go back to the doctor on Monday to see how everything is going, my HCG levels keep rising though...
Hello!!! I know I am kind of late reading this but I just found this  site. I am 7 weeks and 1 day pregnant and at 6 weeks 3 days my babies rate was 91 and then it was read again within a week and was only 96. I have been a little worried to because everyone keeps saying that their babies heartbeat was 120,150 etc at 6weeks/ 7weeks. How dii your situation turn out if you do not mind me asking?
I thought i was a week or so over 2 months pregnant and I went for my first altrasound and was told by my dr the next day that I was only 6 weeks, he also told me that they could not see the heart beat and they couldnt find the yoke sack.  My dr told me that because my Thyroid is so underactive that could play a big part... Then he told me that it looks like it is a misscarage.  I have been waiting 5 days now to get another altrasound to see if there was a mistake made at the first one because it was a student doing it.. There was a dr with her watching the screen but thats it... I have 3 more days to go till my next altrasound and this is driving me crazy.... This is my first pregnancy and I have been waiting along time for this.. Could there have been a mistake at 6 weeks... Are those things hard to see at 6 weeks...
        Hope some one can ease my mind so I dont go nuts....
Oh also I still have all my pregnancy symptoms and I have had no bleeding or spoting or cramping.
I too had an u/s at "7 weeks" according to the nurse practioner who had it scheduled. The tech saw the baby but said there was no heartbeat. After she zoomed in what seemed like ages later.. we saw what she described as a flicker but it couldn't be measured on the machine. They seem to think it was just too early, that the heart just began to beat putting me back at just turning 6 weeks.
I have another scan this friday, a week later. Does anyone know if cycle length can effect due dates? My cycles are on average 35 days which is about a week later than the normal 28 days. I would think that this could be the reason why I'm a week off.
This is my 4th pregnancy. I've had 3 miscarriages. I'm 42 years old and have irregular periods....etc. Last week I had an US and it said 6 weeks and it was pretty clear and we thought we saw a heart beat but it was hard. I just had another US today with a different OBGYN at the same practice and when he did the measurement it said 6 weeks and 1 day and there was a heartbeat but he said it seemed a little weak. I have gone to get my HCG levels checked today and will do so in two more days to see if they are rising. Last week I was so excited and now I'm very worried. This has been the best pregnancy yet so far in terms of no bleeding, no cramps....etc. I have another US scheduled for next week.
My last mp was Aug 16th but right after had a UTI & was put on a strong antibiotic for it. Never got a period in Sept took a ptest Oct 7th came up positive. Oct 19th went to Dr & he said he just saw a sac & wanted me to go for blood work twice that week to ck my levels but said he was worried thought I was having mc. But the levels raised as they should. Went back to Dr on Nov. 2nd & Dr once again said he thought I was having a mc - blighted ovum because he could only see a sac and wanted me to schedule a D&E for next week but sent me for a u/c 2days later at the hospital as he said in case there is a slight chance he is wrong. The Dr.office wouldn't give hospital any info of why they were sending me for u/s so when I got there they asked what was going on & explained everything to them. The u/c tech said that my cycle may have been messed up from the UTI & antibiotic so she wasn't counting on going by my last period for any dates. Right away when she was doing the ultra sound she said it wasn't a blighted ovum. When she was done she showed me the sac, yolk & baby & pointed out the heart beat but said it was too early to hear it yet maybe in a week or two & she said I was only 5wks 6days and would be due July1st. Today 11-11 I was sent for another u/s at the hospital again & this time the Dr. office gave them a due date that went by my last period not the due date the tech gave last week b/c when the tech asked what my due date was I told her what the tech said last week & then very snotty she said oh what were not going by what your Dr office is going by & I told her my dr offcie never gave me a due date. During the whole u/s she told me nothing & would not let me see anything. After test was done I had to wait & she then brought me a cordless phone that my dr was on & he said the tech didnt hear a heart beat & was pressing that I schedule a D&E asap.
So my question is should I go with my Dr who thinks I should be around 11 or 12 weeks & have a D&E done. Or should I go with what the first u/s tech said that I would be now around 6 or 7wks which might be why they didnt hear a heart beat yet??
So confused!!!
I had a transvaginal ultrasound at 5 wks, gestational sac measured 6.9mm but no heartbeat or yolk sac. 1 week later (6 wks gestational age) the heart rate was 103! Intially the machine had a hard time hearing it but eventually it was detected. It's normal not to hear the heartbeat and sometime you cant even see the heart in early pregnancy. Be happy that it was seen at 6 wks and stay positive until your 10wk sonogram. Good luck!
I had a trans vag u/s today, I'm exactly 6 weeks 4 days along like my doctor had figured.  She did this early u/s to reassure me, I had a miscarriage in Oct and now pregnant again was worried (obviously!).The tech said everything looked great.  I got a call from the dr this afternoon saying the heart rate was on the "low side of normal" being 105 and she wants another u/s in a week to check on it given my history.  Does anyone have any experience with this? Everything I've read says "normal" at this stage is 90-113...
I had a doppler at neally 12 weeks due to bleeding and the doc said the baby heart rate was 193 beats however when i went for u/s they could not find one, how can this happen i dont get how one doc can get you all excited thinking there is a heartbeat and then another take it all away by saying i had a m/c