Maternal & Child Community
fetal heartbeat detection

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

fetal heartbeat detection

When can you detect the fetal heartbeat by ultrasound?  My friend is 5 weeks 3 days pregnant and had an ultraound today 2/21/05.  They couldn't see the heartbeat but the doc said it was too early and to come back in 2 weeks.  He also gave me a due date of Oct. 14th.
I am currently 31 weeks and mine was detected at 6 weeks exactly, it was only 100 bpm then I went for an u/s at 7W1D and it was detected at 177 bpm.
From what I know they like you to be at least 6 weeks pregnant
I think i went at  7 weeks and they found the heartbeat, tell your friend to relax and wait for the next two weeks and Im sure she will be overjoyed to see her little one
Good Luck
Thanks to all of you who have responded to my concern.  I really appreciate it.  I will tell her the great information I received from you all and hopefully she can relax....(but I doubt it.  Thanks again!!!
here here nanakay!! I remember going in for one at 6 weeks and having nothing there (except a sac) and having to wait 2 weeks to go back in. It was a heartwrenching two weeks let me tell yah.... i don't see why they do them that early either..

as far as heartbeat detection- i read somewhere that something like 95% of hearbeats could be detected by 7 weeks so if they thinks she's 5 & something right now then chances are good that she'll get to see the heartbeat in 2 weeks.
if the doctor didn't seem worried...the baby must have measured smaller than 5 weeks.
i agree to relax and see what the next U/S shows.
personally i'm not sure why they even do u/s at that early anyway it just causes stress.
~nanci
Your friend is way early.  Even though at 5 weeks the heart is developed, it is incredibly tiny and often not detected on a early ultrasound.  It all depends on the position of the uterus, the mhz of the u/s machine, and the skill of the tech.  At five weeks, your little one is the size of a grain of rice - literally!  The site below has some info in the Reading section that shows the size of the fetus at various weeks.  I wish your friend well.  Tell her to hang in there.  Time will tell what is going on.  

http://www.misdiagnosedmiscarriage.com/forums/