Maternal & Child Community
foot pain in my toddler

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

foot pain in my toddler

4122201?1237823614
My daughter is 3 years old. once a couple of months, she wakes up screaming in pain. she says her foot hurts ! . last night night she woke up 3 times screaming again. I massage her foot but at the 3rd time of waking up screaming I gave her tylenol. After that she slept and no more episodes. What could this be? please help..I did some research on sickle cell since my husband is half black. But she was tested at birth and he doesn't have it. I feel so bad for her..
Tags: toddlers
the same thing happens to my son he is 5 years old but he suffers from pain on hes leg since he was 2 years old the doctor said that he has water in the knee.
My daughter started doing this around the age of 3 as well, (she is almost 4). We never knew what it was, but she would wake up crying at night saying her 'foot hurt'. We always assumed she had her leg hanging off the bed and it fell asleep or something. It was never major, as she usually calmed after we comforted her, and it comes and goes. Usually it makes her 'feel better' when we give her an ice pack or a 'boo boo bunny'. I couldn't tell you anything beyond that..perhaps they are literal 'growing pains?' I haven't a clue, but I have had this experience with my dd as well-(we are all white). I have never thought to bring it up with the dr. as it never bothers her any other time of the day, just the middle of the night. We always thought it odd, but didn't really know what it could be..I guess you could bring it up at her next pediatric visit. I can't tell you if it is normal, but, we have had this happen with our dd too, same age. How often does this happen, out of curiousity??
Sounds like its charley horses in the foot. I get them. They are god awful painful. Poor thing. Make sure they are getting enough bananas and stuff.
I would have to agree with DL, it sounds like it may be a charlie horse, I too get them when I am sleeping, they are not fun.
sounds like a charlie horse, BUT, i did once work with a little girl who would complain about pains constantly. It wasn't always, but she would even limp when playing, so we suspected something was truly wrong. Turns out the poor thing had juvenile arthritis.
Watch her carefully when she complains. Can she be distracted from the pain or does it linger even when she's busy? it's most likely nothing, but it can't hurt to start documenting her symptoms and when they occur so you can look for patterns.
I went through the same thing with my 2 year old at the time. To make a VERY long story short, he would wake up in the middle of the night screaming in pain, he started to cry in the middle of something, then it would go away like nothing happened. It was either head hurting, knees or feet. It was hard to get a specific with a 2 year old. I kept bringing him to the dr's. I brought him to the ER at one point and he had a spinal tap and was admitted. But they couldn't find what was wrong. Then he had gotten speckles on his butt and bruise like marks that wouldn't go away. From that his Dr. diagnosed him with HSP (his immune system was attacking his intestins and kidneys, and triggers artheritis and headaches)  which he did have. Confirmed with blood work. It was supposed to go away on its own within like 8 weeks, and at the time it was 4 months. He had his urine tested. His back hurt in his car seat. But to make the story shorter, I figured out he was allergic to MILK of all things. And he would have a reaction 4 hours later. I had bought new carseats out of despiration. I wouldn't have ever thought in a million years milk would give a reaction like this. Since then I read all labels and he has been a new child. He no longer screams in pain, unless there is some sort of cross contamination, from a friends house, or something. But I wished someone would have told me this to save the heartache and sleepless nights and so much worry. I do hope things have gotten better for you. I just had to share from one mom to another. There was so much more in detail with head pain, behind the knee pain. sweating, temprature droping (i thought my thermometer was broken) so much more that I could get into detail. ALL OF THAT GONE GOING DAIRY FREE! I could not believe it! I have three kids. It's been almost a year. and I've also noticed no more ear infections, sinus infections. And when they do get sick, its unbelievibly just runny noses for a couple of days and that's it. And my husband used to take omeprazol (?) 2x a day for acid indigestion, and he no longer gets it. My oldest used to get migrains and no longer has them either. Not in a million years would I have guessed things would have changed for the better with no milk. I hope this helps somebody. (I'm finding it easier to copy and paste this, so sorry if you read this in more than one discusion. I'm motivated to help at least one child that's going through what we went through)
My 3 year - old is suffering from the exact same problem.  Did you ever figure out what it was?  I am wondering if it is something like Restless Leg Syndrome.
my 3 yrs old gets the feet and hand pain everyday, and cries, i have to massage both of them when it happens, it goes away after, but comes back a few times a day everyday, told doctor and she thinks it due to my daughter sensory proceeding disorder, i think it more then that and is not growing pains either, thats in legs and knees mainly! trying to ask anybody else with this problem of there toddler.
My son who is nearly 4 now is suffering from night pain in his foot , he just wakes up in the middle of the night crying in agony saying his foot is sore mostly his right foot, I really dnt know what this could be he is anemic not sure if its anything to do with tht, when he was in hosp last sept getting his appendix out before he went to thearter they said his bloods where really low said he was anemic so after his operation had to give him a blood transfusion which was really scary :( and now he is on iron medication as he isn't a good eater with food I do try my best with him though x