Maternal & Child Community
fussy baby could it be the formula

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

fussy baby could it be the formula

Ok, now that my quest for breasting feeding has failed, I am now in the new quest to find the right formula.  I am using similac advance.  He eats 3oz at a time and will two weeks old tuesday.  He goes to sleep and is fussy off and on until the next feeding.  It is almost like he eats all the time.  I am a little stressed that he is getting to much formula.  He passes a lot of gas and he is really stinky.  Could the formula be to much for him?  Is there another that I can try.  He can't sleep more then 45min at a time.  It also takes him about an hour or so to eat and then an hour or two later is ready to eat again.  What should I do?
it almost seems like he is eating all the time.  I think he is getting to much.  Should I try soy.  maybe the iron is to much for him.  He was 7lbs 1 oz last monday.  If that help.  He does not go two hours without eating.  Am I over feeding?
Is he spitting up a lot? That's a sign that you're over feeding. Don't worry too much about overfeeding, I'd worry about under feeding. My story's similar to yours. I tried breastfeeding in the hospital with my current baby, but I had to unlatch him after only 1 breast b/c he was one for over an hour and gave me a giant blood blister. I decided to formula feed unless my milk came in.

With my 1st DC who's now 3 1/2 yo, it never came in. I pumped, took fenugreek and nursed every hour around the clock. I never got engorged or felt letdown either. I had to supplement with bottles and she did 2 oz every 1 1/2 hrs-2hrs, that's with her nursing 1st.

With my 2nd DC who's now 22 months, he was in the NICU for a week. I finally got engorged and started leaking a little the night he came home. However he refused to latch and I didn't push the issue. He "snacked" on his bottles, a lil here, a lil there.

Now with my 3rd DC who's 7 weeks, he drank 2 1/4- 2 1/2 oz in the hospital after I gave up on breastfeeding. The nurses were shocked. He was also a 10lb baby. although breastfeeding didn't go as planned in the hospital, I tried when we got home. I had to have him learn how to latch onto me, then my supply issue's a big problem. Long story short, I'm currently just pumping right now and I get at best 1oz total on average, sometimes 2oz. He noe eats 3-4 oz every 2 hours. But in the beginning weeks, he'd eat 3-4 oz every 2 1/2-3hrs. So no, I don't think you're overfeeding. Sounds right on target. Plus, all babies in my experience are gassy. Try burping your baby more often. Does he/she use a pacifier? They should be burped after using one. If not, it comes  out the other end.

I was following your story, but I haven't been on for a few days. Why didn't breast feeding work for you? Did you try pumping and giving your baby what breast milk you could out of a bubba?
There are a couple hypo-allergenic formulas Alimentum and Nutrigem (sp?) you could find them at the drug store or Target.
I would mabye try those before I would try soy.

I read your prevous posts regarding the breastfeeding. Mabey suggest to your doc to check your thyroid. It is very common for thyroid to be out of wack during and after pregnancy, whcih can affect milk production.
It seems as though my milk did not come in full force.  I am still pumping some and now, belive it or not got an ounce this morning.  The odd thing is that was after a night of not pumping at all.  I got some type of fullness in them which I have never got before.  After not doing it for a night, I was able to pump more then I ever have.  A couple of hours ago I got almost an 1oz.  I am taking the herbs and everything.  I just can't stress no more on this issue.  I take what I get with pumping and mix it with the formula.  It's nice to know that I was not the only one.  You seem to have went though the same thing.
How odd you say that because I am hypothyorid and I had to increace my meds.  I will go for blood work tomorrow.  OB said he didn't think that was it but he is not an endo dr either.  Even if it is off, it would take weeks for a change in med to work.  I don't know what I would do until then, keep pumping so my milk, or what I have don't dry up.
Babies come in all different personalities.   You may have a fussy one, and it may not have a thing to do with formula.  Some need more contact and cuddling than others.  Some just want to be up and cry.  Some are very placid and even tempered.  Yours is only 2 weeks old!  

It takes a long time for "normal" patterns to develop.  Sometimes they never do.  My sisters first daughter cried every stinking minute of every single day and night for 3 months.  I've never seen a baby cry like that.  Now, 31 years later, she still cries all the time, but now its over men.  She's been a "fussy" person her whole life.  :)
Stay strong!  He may just need a little time to adjust to the formula.  I wouldn't try soy yet.  How often is he eating?  If it's every 3-4 hours then you're right on track with amount, but if it's every 2 hours then you might want to cut the quantity down a little.  Also, if after a few days it still doesn't seem to be any better you could try one of the gentle formulas, like Nestle GoodStart (which I used for my oldest) or Gentle Ease or if all else fails Nutramagen (it's gross, stinks, and is expensive so try this last before trying soy).  

Good luck!

Nicki
It's funny he cries and then stops, goes to sleep, cries a little,  it almost seems that he doesn't know what he wants.  He likes to be held and I hold hima about all day long.  My daugher was somewhat the same as he was.  She was very fussy for a long time.  I
That's interesting that you said that thyroid can affect milk production.  I had hypothyroidism during and after my pregnancy with my oldest and then when he was 6 months old was dx with thyroid cancer.  Had to increase meds multiple times during pregnancy and my milk came in during labor at 28 weeks (which was stopped) and then never really came in afterwards (maybe pumping an ounce tops).  I tried for about 3 weeks, but it never worked.  My OB just said that with all my body had gone through in the course of not even two years (two bedridden pregnancies, two premature babies, and cancer) it was no wonder that things weren't working properly.  He advised me to quit trying to breastfeed.  I did.  When my youngest was 6 months old (coinsidence) I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer recurrence.  

I had never heard that thyroid function can affect milk production.  It makes complete sense now that I've heard it though.  Thank you for the information!

Nicki
It is very intresting.  I am going to get my blood work tomorrow and see what is says.  I would like to go to my endo. but will settle for just a TSH level reading.  There is also the free T4, T3 ect...  They all could be off.  maybe that is what is wrong.
My baby likes the Nestle Good Start formula, either the one with the bifidus culture or the one without.  He hated the one they used at the hospital.  He goes easily from breast to bottle (I don't produce enough by about 1/3rd) and seems to have less gas on these.  They have some kind of more digestible protein.  
you just reminded me that with my baby from weeks 2-4, with 3 being the worst I thought he was colicky. He'd fuss, scream, cry, scream, cry, scream, fuss, fuss, then look at me like a lil' angel. I believe now that we just needed to get to know each other as he's been fine after week 4.

Don't stress too much about the BFing issue. I'm taking reglan, and using 10 different herbs to make my own mother's milk tea, and pumping every 2 hours, except when I'm working. It's still not enough. Tried the SNS, but it got to be too much of a hassle. After a night of not pumping/nursing, I"m able to get 2 1/2 oz, but for rest of the day only 15ml on average which is like 1/2 oz, that's every 2 hours. I figured every lil' bit of my "liquid gold" is better than none.]

It does sound like we're going thru the same thing. Just take it easy and enjoy that baby. time goes by too fast
Make sure they are checking yout TSH, thats the big indicator.
0.4-2.0 is considered normal
Where can you buy that?
http://www.thyroid-info.com/articles/breastfeeding.htm#problems
Both of my sons were like that.  My littlest one is just 13 weeks.  We started on regular milk based and they switched him to soy in the hospital.  I tried to nurse also, but he had issues with my milk.  Anyway, they usually switch to soy first, then try the others if needed, they are really expensive considering they are the same price or more for half the amount.  They do eat all the time, mine did just that even at his 8 week check up.  It made going back to work hard, but once he passed the big growth spurt he has been spacing out now, still not more than 4 hours, even at night.  My co-worker nurses her little one who is 4 days older than mine and he sleeps 8 or 9 hours uninterrupted at night, only wakes up every once in awhile for a feeding.  Her older son was the same way, sleeping through by the first month.  So frustrating to hear her talk about it.  Some little ones just like to eat, make sure you keep him happy.  Have you tried Mylicon drops?  They really help the gas.  I would also ask the Dr. about the possibility of acid reflux.  Mine has it really bad.  They will want to eat all the time to ease the burning pain.  He would wake up with a strange look on his face and cry, looked like he had a bad taste in his mouth.  If that's the case they can treat it and he should be happy right away.  If it's the formula, I would consult the Dr. first and start out slowly.  Good luck.  Even with the Nutramigen and the 2 medications for acid reflux, I still had a colicky baby on my hands, but he is starting to pull out of it now.
I feel so much better knowing that someone else is having the same problems I had.  Thanks for the info.
hmmmmm.....

Just checked out that website, and thanks for giving it us. I think I'll be calling my dr tomorrow. Do I call my family dr or OB for the thyroid test?
I would call your doc. But if your still going to your OB they should be able to check it also.  
It is routine in pregnancy to have the thyroid checked at least once. But I always ask what my numbers are, so I know. I also go by how I feel and if Im not feeling great I will ask them to check it.
Nice to know I am not the only one who has had milk production issues.  I felt so alone and now hearing that other have had the same problem makes me feel a lot better.  I thought something was wrong with me.  I love my baby and just wish that I could give him the breast all the time.  I guess there are reasons for everything.  
I have tried them ALL, the one that worked for DD was LactoFree by enfamil.  I tried the Nutrimiegien, or however you spell it....it was EVIL stuff.  It made her very sick, diareah, etc.  Try the lactofree, it seemed to be the one that gave her the least amount of gas and at 9 months old, it still works for her.
I had to stop nursing my son at 4 months cause I had problems with my let down, my thyroid went totally wacky.
Now I make sure me and my doctor are on top of it.
I didn't know it was routine for them to test it. I had 3 babies with 2 different OB practices and no one ever mentioned it to me. I think I'll be calling the dr later. I did however look up the symtoms (symptoms) of hypothyroid and I didn't have them all, only a couple
Yes it should be checked early in pregnancy.
They may have not mentioned it to you cause its part of the routine blood work and your results were probably fine.
But you can mention it to them and see if they did. Or if you would like them to just ask. Its just a simple blood test.
The thyroid is under alot during pregancy and for some women it can get out of wack.It can get out of wack after as well.
In fact if it gets way out of wack it can be very bad for the baby.

Good resource book
The Thyroid Solution
Ridha Arem, MD

Also Mary Shamon (can find her on the internet) is a good resource.
She was the one who wrote the article I posted.  
thanks for the input. I didn't get around to calling the dr today....too much going on.
I went to dr. today and got my blood taken for my TSH, T4, and T3.  Go back tomorrow and see what the results are.  Maybe I will have my answer on what as to why my supply is low.  
Good Luck. Keep us posted.
Im just curious. Since your hypothyroid. Did your doc check your thyroid a few days after pregnancy?

For anyone else out there with thyroid disease if your doc hasnt done so your thyroid is supposed to be checked within a few days after pregnancy. Your hormones change drastically once that baby comes out.