Maternal & Child Community
gassy baby

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

gassy baby

My 2 month old baby is frequently very gassy.  Her farts wake her up and she often cries because of cramping.  She is fed mother's milk, sometimes with Similac mixed in for extra calories (the baby is small for her age).  She has also started spitting up.  

What can I do to relieve her discomfort?

Thanks for your time-Shelley
I would suggest nursing more frequently and eliminating the formula and see if that helps. You could easily make up the calories with more breast milk.

I will say it is a good sign if she is passing the gas as that is qhat frequently causes the pain is the inability to move the gas out.
Avatar n tn
Yes, I agree, if you avoid the formula--definitely don't need to provide calories from that source if you're already nursing and can nurse more frequently--AND maybe get rid of garlic, onions, peppers, from your diet and quite possibly MILK/DAIRY you might see a difference. I had to NOT drink any dairy for a year while nursing DD--if I did, she was up at night crying. Even the teeniest amount, including cheese.  She still (at 11 y.o.) can't tolerate milk without massive gas bouts.

Why do you think she needs extra calories btw? Slow weight gain can be caused by bad digestion too (ie allergies...intolerance). Some babies are just smaller. If she's nursing at least once every 2 hours for 20 minutes at least you're probably providing enough calories.  

My friend , who had slow weight gain, was told to go to bed with baby for a full weekend and do nothing but eat, drink and nurse to get her supply up and kick baby feeding into high gear (she had previously been told to give formula which she gave up for the weekend and after that was fine with BF alone).