Maternal & Child Community
gestational diabetes - help..? insulin issues
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

gestational diabetes - help..? insulin issues

35 weeks preg  -  have gestational diabetes and have been prescribes insulin.  I don't feel so well since I've started this.  Doc insists I need this even though my levels increase when I take it.  counts before insulin were low fives in the morning and increase to low sixes after I ate.  Now since i've started this insulin my counts are low sevens (morning counts) I feel increasingly TIRED and baby doesn't seem to be moving as much Does anyone have similar experiences? thanks
Related Discussions
7 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
Hi. I am 17 wks and have had gd since i was about 13 or 14 wks. And my doc just put me on insulin Tuesday.
My levels varied, between 100 to 150, mostly being higher in the morning.
Now it's doing about the same, except a lil lower. Your dr is probably seeing u every wk now? So just tell him on your next visit. I don't feel any different, my dr said he may have to increase my units i take if it were still high.
HAve you been keeping to your diet?
Blank
108334_tn?1253647995
How did you find out you have gd that early? Just from urine?
Blank
108334_tn?1253647995
I know they don't dx it from urine, I just didn't know if there was something in her urine that made them go on the do the GD test earlier. Thanks!
Blank
They just do the testing earlier on some women.  It's the same test as you get later on in pregnancy.  If they think you are at risk for GD they just test sooner.

They don't diagnose GD from urine, though they do check the urine for sugar.

Blank
I have gd as well im 30 weeks pregnant and picked it up at 28 weeks I had gd with my first pregnancy as well got tested at 20 weeks with 2nd which was fine but not at 28 weeks I was a bit bummed as I wanted to try a vbac but have no choice know its a c section at 38 weeks. I have to keep my levels under 5 before foods and 8 after foods or ill have to be put on insulin sometimes I would go over the 8 after meals I would drink alot of water and in a few hours my levels were back to normal. at least you dont have much longer to go just think it will all be worth it in the end. Good luck.
Blank
when i asked when they'd test for it, i got the standard answer... said they test earlier for issues such as weight, family history of diabetes,etc. plus you can always ask that they test earlier.
Blank
When I had this with son, they put me on a VERY strict diet with lots of visits and I had to check my blood sugar every 4 hours. But no insulin. Is it new to use insulin or do you just have a really severe case?
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Maternal & Child Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
How to Silence Your Inner Critic an...