MATERNAL & CHILD
COMMUNITY
gestational sac but no embryo
by shay27, May 04, 2005
Hello
I just had a U/S and I am almost positive that I was 3 weeks and 1 day pregnant since conception, which is 5 weeks and 1 day by LMP. The u/s that showed an empty gestational sac consistent with a 4 week pregnancy, but the nurse said it should be the size of a 5 week pregnancy by LMP (not 4weeks). There was no yolk sac or embryo present. I am very nervous that something went wrong in the pregnency. Does this sound like a normal discrepancy?
Shay
Member Comments (60)
by Debra_Maine, May 04, 2005
Was there a reason they sent you for an u/s so early? It just seems too early to me to see much other than the sac at this stage. Are you scheduled to go back? You'd be amazed how much difference a week or two will make.
by shay27, May 04, 2005
Well, I had a bit of cramping the day before the u/s was done. I didnt have any bleeding. the cramping may have been due to a ruptured cyst that they also found on the U/S or possibly due to constipation. It did not feel like uterine cramping to me, but they brought me in for u/s just in case. My instict tells me that the baby is ok but I am confused to whether or not the yolk sac or embryo should have been visualized.
shay
by shay27, May 04, 2005
Oh,
I also had BHCG done today and 2 days ago, I am just so anxious now that I can hardly wait for the results tomorrow.
shay
by clevelandlady, May 04, 2005
waaaayyyyy to early to see anything on an ultrasound.I had one done at 7weeks 4 days [Lmp],but the u/s dated me at 5 weeks 3 days with no fetal pole present.I was diagnosed as a blighted ovum and told to go home and wait to miscarry.well,my "blighted ovum" just turned 3 months old and is sitting in her bouncy chair as i type this.The baby is smaller than a grain of rice at 5 weeks,and a u/s might have a hard time finding it.Just relax,and try not to stress [easier said than done,i know].Take care,and keep us posted.
by gscforever, May 04, 2005
I had also the same thing happen to me at 10 weeks they told me it was a blighten ovum come to find out I went back one week later and there was a baby but he or she had no hrtbt but there is a chance for you , you might be not enough for along to see anyhting, I will send some prayers your way, keep us posted. god bless
by Anna's Mom, May 04, 2005
When I was 5 weeks pregnant, they did an u/s because I started spotting and the u/s tech could't really figure out why they wanted to an u/s because other than the sac there was no way they would be able to see anything else.  They scheduled me again at 7 weeks.  Your best bet really is the hcg levels.  Good Luck
by shay27, May 04, 2005
Well my doc just called and said that by BHCG from 2 days ago was 7000. I had another BHCG today to see if it doubles. She also wants me to get an ultrasound tomorrow or friday. I will take your advice and try to just relax, I should know much more in the next 24-48 hours and will keep you all posted. Thanks for the reassurance!
Shay
by Debra_Maine, May 04, 2005
The hcg tests will tell you a lot. I think it's too early to go by the u/s. See what your levels are, if they have doubled that will help. I had a m/c 7/04. Got pg 9/04 and had my hcg levels checked twice every week till I was about 11 wks. It helped give me such peace of mind. Best of luck to you.
Debra
by shay27, May 05, 2005
good news! I just got back from ultrasound and there is a yolk sac present that wasnt there 4 days ago. They told me that I am 5w4d, the last U/S was just too early!! My bHCG is still very high but I wont worry, its good to see that the baby is growing adequately. Thanks for the help again.
Shay