Maternal & Child Community
giving water to 2 week old...???

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

giving water to 2 week old...???

Hi ladies...Cameron is now 2 weeks and 1 day old. At some times he shows signs of hunger but when given a bottle-about an hour earlier that is supposed to he spits up his milk. I've tried giving him an ounce every 2 days of water but alot of people are against this...He loves his water and when given he just seems so happy. I would NEVER give him water just to replace him being hungry though...What are your views on this ladies??? Thank you
My mom works in the nicu and when I called her because Ayden was being really fussy because of gas the doctor told me to give him an ounce of water and tummy time.  I don't see why it would be any different for you.  He was maybe 3 weeks at the time.  He's no fool though.  He hated it.  
I have never given water to my son.  If he shows signs of hunger I feed him.  He is up to about 6oz, but there are times when he only eats 3 oz.  Dr. said they get all they need from the formula - I'm not sure if you are breastfeeding.
everything i have read and heard says no water. try a pacifier instead if he appears to need to suckle. also, i have learned that there is no time when they're "supposed" to eat. my girlfriend gives her baby water sometimes, and her dr is very concerned that she's not gaining properly. i questioned her about the water, and she said "it's only an ounce or 2." i didn't want to be overbearing, so i didn't push the issue, but i suspect there's a connection.  
It could just be he wants to 'suck'....pacifer would work.

I never gave DD water but I went through the same thing....she always wanted to 'eat', ' suck' and I'd feed her and she'd spit up when she did feed excessively.  

Now I was nursing at the time and she just wanted to suckle....she never really took milk from me to much...she just wanted to suckle....I guess it's different from the bottle though.

I wouldn't give water either, it's empty calories.  And all babies spit, usually at the most inconvenient time....like when you have them all dressed up for their first pic.....

i think he may be too young for water. like the others suggested, a pacifer might do the trick. i didn't give edward water until he started solids. at meal time, i would offer water with the food. when he was younger though, he would do the same thing and act hungry but then spit up his entire bottle. just feed him if he seems hungry and if it comes back up, oh well, at least you tried right?
he refuses to take a pacifier...when i say spit up i mean he does not swallow the milk...he just lets it run....when i give him water its an ounce a day type of thing and about half an ounce at a time....also he started being up all day and sleeping during the night.. im not whinning about it but at this age shouldnt he sleep more...its 11 here now and he has been wide awake since 7:30...slept all of 15 mins
I used to give my boys water when they were little...it did not hurt them at all they were gaining properly--you know yourself sometimes you are just thirsty and water is good for you.  If it is just an ounce here and there I would say go for it.  If you are really questioning your self talk with your ped and they will give you the best advice.
My DD was up all day too.  She was up in the day and slept at night....I never thought anything of it, except....I'm really lucky...LOL
i know it was hard to get my son to sleep a lot during the day when he was that young. then again, he didn't sleep all that much at night either. i never got more than 3 hours out of him, maybe 4 if i was lucky. he just wasn't a big sleeper. still isn't as a matter of fact. i know that all you want in the morning is a little brak. for them to just take some kind of nap so you can collect yourself. with him it was like every time i put him down, i would start doing something, then he'd be up. i used to have to get in the shower at 5:30 or 6 before my husband left for work b/c i never knew if i'd get a shower or not.

about the water - if you have been doing it and he seems fine and you want to continue to do it, then go ahead. you're the mom right? its your call. its not like it will hurt him. as long as he is taking the formula ok and gaining.
Babies have very little blood volume, so even an ounce of water can throw that off and mess with their electrolyte imbalance. Messing with that can lead to very scary consequences. No more water, try a different pacifier or guide their hands to their mouth so they can suck on those little fingers.
The reason why some dr's dont want babies that small to have water is because, their stomachs are so small that the water will make them full, and wont want to eat. When what they really need is nutrients from the milk. Also, my dr says there is enough water in their milk to sustain them.  I however, did have to give my little one water because of her acid reflux.  She hated it.  But she's growing just fine.
CYW-My ped recommended me to go with not drinking any water for a while and see how I feel.  I see his point.I gave DD water (very little at first).  She wasn't too fond of it to begin with it so I didn't push it but I did continue to offer it to her from time to time.  Now she's one and absolutely loves drinking water.
I meant, my ped "suggested" I got without water, not "recommended"
Everything I read says not to give them water.  I don't, but my mom tells me to give my baby water.  She says that back when I was a baby, 30 years ago she was told by my pediatrician to give me water with corn syrup. I always joke with my mom that the doctor was being paid off by the Coca Cola company in order to start me off an a life of soda.    
i dont think ur suppose to give him anything but formula
Skip the water for another 9 to 12 months. It is just too risky that some feedings may accidentially get replaced with water and they need either breastmilk or formula to strive. Each extra liquid will just take away from that. The spit-up is pretty normal. My son always drank more milk than he could take in and spit up a lot. He just enjoyed the sucking. It is okay if an infant doesn`t like a pacifier. If you are not breastfeeding, they naturally still prefer a human pacifier over some plastic. I was told you can let them suck on your knuckle instead of a pacifier, provided your hands are really clean. Also, it sounds to me that your son might be really tired during the day and let some of the milk just run out. I don`t get the math here. Newborns would easily sleep about 16 hrs per day. If he does that in one blow during the night without any feedings in between, he should be sooo hungry during the day but his stomach would be too small to take in all the milk he missed out on. Maybe you have to have more smaller feedings throughout the day and night. I think it is all related to him sleeping through the night already. Was he born a bit premature? Sometimes infants can be too weak to continue sucking - and maybe the flow of water is easier than the flow of formula and that`s why he seems happier? I am just guessing. Hope you find out.
When I used to nanny, I had a 6 week old baby boy who could NEVER get full. Mom nursed and I gave him breastmilk in a bottle ever 2-3 hours. Mom said that the ped recommended to her when the baby was only 2 weeks old, that if he continued to act starved after a full nursing session to offer an ounce of pedialyte. She did this and the little one was so much happier! Max is 4 weeks and nursed for an hour the other night and was hungry within 10 minutes, so I tried the pedialyte (just an ounce) and it really did the trick! I haven't done it since, but probably will resort to it if he gets that hungry again!