Maternal & Child Community
hair washing

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

hair washing

Good morning ladies, Is it true that you can not wash your hair for weeks after giving birth or is this just an old wives tale?
Thats completly FALSE!! I am a postpartum/gyn nurse and they always take showers and wash there hair before they ever even go home!!
where did this even come from?  I have heard this so many times.
Most likely an old wives tale. I was in the shower six hours after my daughter was born. they did say to shower instead of taking a bath right away, due to water getting up there.
thank you.  when I heard this I was like how am I supposed to go weeks without washing my hair thats kind of nasty.  While we are on the subject when can I safely wash my babies hair after she is born?
They will bathe your baby after she is born at the hospital. they say its ok to give your baby a sponge bath, but to wait to put her in her baby bath tub till after the umbelical cord stump dries up and falls off. this is usually about a week or two after birth. Until  that time, wetting her hair with a wet wash cloth should be sufficient, newborns dont tend to be extremely messy, unless they get spit up on their hair.
After I delivered and things settled, I was in the shower with the help of my nurse, no more than 2 hours after delivery. I hate those old stupid wives tales, I wish they would go away once and for all ; )

Andi
Yep I was in the shower as well!! I can't imagine not washing my hair especially after birth. I know I was one sweaty woman! LOL...Anyway yes it's prefectly fine! And as far as the baby, you will sponge bathe her until her cord falls off, alot of times there isn't to much hair to wash there anyway lol. Just use the body wash and hair wash all in one, it's good stuff! Good luck to you I know you're getting close, how much longer do you have to go?
well here in australia we wash our babys in the basin at the hospital a few hours after there born with a very very mild baby soap never had any trouble over here its good to bath them as sometimes they have big chunks of blood through there hair ect sorry if tmi but its true.
i was in the shower an hour after my baby was born still in labour and delivery washed my hair the next morning good luck.
They had my youngest in the bath within an hour or so after he was born, but once we got home, we were told to wait until the cord stump fell off.

Andi