halls while pregnant
just wondering if anyone knows if halls(menthol drops) are safe during pregnancy. i googled it and it says to consult your physician. i ate one today and realized that it actually relieves my heartburn. i was shocked, so waited a while after i was done to see if the heartburn came back. well once the halls was done, it came back a little while after. so i took another one, and the heartburn was gone again. that seems to be my new remedy, but i want to make sure its safe(the menthol). i can use any info from you guys, but i will make sure i contact my dr to make sure. ifs its indeed ok during pregnancy, i would suggest all my fellow heartburn sufferers to try it. it worked wonders for me today.
I would call your local pharmacist. Much more accessible and a fountain of knowledge regarding meds and pregnancy.
i work in the pharmacy, im the tech and we dont carry much info many otc's, especially halls. i didnt ask my dr yet because i just tried them today. she'll probably say no anyway. she said i cant take no meds for my severe heartburn. only tums. where i read on this forum, lots of woman have been prescribed prescription drugs to relieve there heartburn. i'll still ask her, but id prefer feed back from people who may have taken it while preggo first.
in large amounts, eucalyptus can cause contractions, but an occasional one is ok. DH (pharmacist)thinks it was the act of swallowing small amounts frequently helped your heartburn. ludens, the cherry kind, is just sugar and water should be ok. give that a try
what trimester are you in? my dr allowed me to take pepcid while pregnant (i actually got the prescription version because it was cheaper with my insurance), and i was allowed to take it after the first trimester.
Really? I have always gotten great advice from the pharmacists, my cousin especially ; )

I was given tagamet and zantac during my pregnancies. Perhaps talk to the pharmacist about using the OTC version of one of those meds.
thanks. the halls i take, which are a grape flavored kind doesnt contain eucalyptus. i saw menthol, and then all those different flavor & coloring ingredients. kinda tasted like candy opposed to the other halls. he may be right about the swallowing act, because i read that chewing gum helps to relieve it also. the extra saliva neutralizes things more, and therefore helps to relieve it. ive tried other hard candy, and it did me no justice. but i just found out a site that lists all the otc's that safe during pregnancy. luckily halls is one of them. tell dh thanks for the info.

heres the site to have on hand:
http://www.webmd.com/baby/guide/taking-medicine-during-pregnancy
im 25w5d. i know a lot of people who takes pepcid, as well as prilosec, and zantac. my dr is just not giving in. today i asked her specifically about prilosec otc 20mg, and she said NO. we have tons of samples at the pharmacy, and i take them for my mil. my dr. has never been pregnant, so she doesnt know how this feels. i told her she has to have a child so she could start having some more compasion for her patients.
oh the pharmacists are great, and tend to know more than dr.'s when it comes to meds. i actually never asked my pharmacist about the halls. we have a PDR for otc's, but all it does is tells us the doses and directions and of course, if pregnant, contact your physician first. im getting tempted to trying an otc heartburn pill. maybe the lowest strength of zantac. my dr gave me imitrex for my migraines(which i never took at the pharmacist discretion), but wont give me heartburn pills. go figure.
You have Drugs in Pregnancy and Lactation there as well, right? There have been questions raised in the past regarding the use of Zantac in pregnancy when carrying males and future testosterone issues, so my doc put me on Tagamet for my other two boys. When I was pg with Jonathan, Wrigley has an antacid gum called Surpass. I LOVED that stuff. It paired the stimulation of the salivary glands with soothing mint and an antacid. Not enough interest in the product so they pulled it. I cried!!!
Almonds help relieve heartburn.
Gaviscon is okay in preganacy to, both my doc and pharmacist confirmed this for me.
it's weird how drs are when it comes to meds. i know tons of people who were allowed to take allergy meds while pregnant. mine very firmly said no- all i was allowed was benedryl (but not in first trimester). but i was allowed pepcid. go figure. thank god though. heart burn is one of the worst symptoms because it lasts the WHOLE time while others come and go. mine would also actually make me sick sometimes.
I think you will be okay and that one once in a while won't do anything, but maybe don't take a lot of them consistently.  Maybe try something less srong or more natural such as spearamint/wintergreen gum, because of the mint helping with relief.  There's always TUMS though...I ate those like candy with my first and only girl!  My 3 boys just gave me migraine h/a:)  Good luck and take care...