Maternal & Child Community
has anyone ever had an abdominal pregnancy or know someone who has?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

has anyone ever had an abdominal pregnancy or know someone who has and if so  how were they diagnosed? AND did they pass or fail pregnancy tests before finding out?
do you mean ectopic? or a pregnancy somewhere other than in the uterus? i have had an ectopic...mine was in my right fallopian tube and yes i got lots of positive pregnancy tests with it.
i really don't know much about this but i think there was recently a story in the news here (Canada) about a woman that had a c-section and the doctor discovered that the baby was not actually in the uterus but in the abdominal cavity. in her case, this condition wasn't diagnosed until that day. The baby was healthy, but i think the chances of carrying to term are fairly rare. don't quote me on this though... going by memory. carey
I read the samething online--somewhere.  If I find the article, I'll post it.  Apparently the placenta received blood flow because it attached to her bowels.  It was extremely rare.
Carey I too have read that in a few books but I think it's pretty uncommon, but it does happen and it comes with a lot of risks for mother and baby. Kendra
My first preg was abnormal, actually all 4 have been.  I only have 1 child, 2 misscarriages, and I'm preg now. I stopped getting my period in June of 98.  Nice way to end High School!  I went all of June, July, August, Sept, and Nov with no period!  I did 2 home tests every mth, at the beginning, and the end, all of which came up negative.  Finally in Sep. I was talked into going to the doctor.  He sent me for bloodwork and an ultrasound.  I got the blood work back first, negative on pregnancy in both blood and urine.  Less then a week later I went in for my ultrasound, expecting to find a cyst, or tumour and faced with the possibility of loosing my ability to have children, i almost wished i was pregnant at 19!
I remember looking at the screen and seeing this black dot about the size of the tip of a pen.  Fearing the worst I was supprised to find out I was pregnant!  About 10-12 Weeks!  Plenty far enough along to have come up with a positive on home preg tests let alone hospital ones!  I found out i was pregnant in Nov. of 1998, and gave birth to a son in July of 99.  I had a hard pregnancy, and he was a bit early, but he's healthy, strong, and beautiful!  but I am biast... I'm not the only one this happened too.  A friend of mine went through the same thing, finding out she was preg.
Yes, i am living proof that you can have an actual abdominal pregnancy, not to be confused w/ectopic.  I actually have pictures of our 10 week old fetus on the outside of my uterus.  This is how it can happen. I lost both of my fallopian tubes due to horrible ectopic pregnancies, they were detected to late and in both cases my tubes were beyond repair. However, when the falopian tube is removed,there is a small piece left which is medically referred to as a Nub.  In my case the "nub" was not closed off, so my husbands sperm traveled through my uterus and out of the nub, at the same time i was ovulating (since i have no tubes, when i ovulate my egg drops into my abdomin (abdomen)) and there you have it, an actual embryo attached itself to the outside of my uterus.  The sad ending took place on 8/7/03 when the fetus was removed.  This is our third loss, and even though our hearts are broken we will start our 2nd IVF cycle in November.
My Sister had her tubes tied after 3 children.  Fibroids, etc. resulted in a hysterectomy in June.  She was okay for 2 or 3 weeks, but later was in a lot of pain and discomfort, and ended up in the emergency room.  All tests were negative, except ultrasound showed a cyst on an ovary and some fluid in her lower abdominal cavity.  A few weeks later she was back at the doctors after severe pain.  An ultrasound showed a 10 1/2 week pregnancy with a heart beat.  Because the risks were high for Mom and fetus, she elected to have the pregnancy removed.  Thank goodness she did...she was on the table for almost 5 hours.  The pregnancy had already begun to rupture and most of her organs were terribly swollen and inflamed.  The pregnancy was attached to her ovary and possibly to her bladder.  She required 7 units of blood but they think they removed all the placenta.  During the surgery she suffered damage to her bladder, one of her ureters (the tube leading to the kidney) and ended up having bladder repair surgery.  She is on the mend, but it was a traumatic experience to say the least!
i have an abdominal pregnancy right now and i need help asap.im 16mnths with a live baby,the baby was do in may2008.the doctors wont help me because i had a tubaligation in jan2007and had sex aug5,2007.ny test were negative blood&urine like my 15yr old son was in1992.when im in pain ive went to several hospitals,they said they couldnt find my left kidney,liver was out of place and a collapsed left lung and i was asked the leave,they said they couldnt find any reason for me to be in pain,and i was asked to leave.they saw it moving and found the heartbeat that was not mine and they denied every thing.the baby drains me daily because its hard to try and feed it as much as it wants to eat.the pain is really bad when moves alot when its hungry and my spine is very weak from all of this weight on my back and hips its getting harder to walk,seat or wash my bottom half.i really need help ive lost everything i owned and my job please help
helpc,  this is absolutely not possible.

Somehow,  you've misunderstood something.  

You are not carrying a live,  ectopic 16 month old fetus that doctors have discovered and are ignoring.

You need to go back to the hospital and find out what your records state is causing this pain.
can you contact me off the list? damarisfish.googlepages *******
me too.Im 13 months undiagnosed.I am seeing many different drs as of several weeka ago.They r lining up  any and every imaginable test possible...This is nightmarish but I figured out some ways to get drs to pay attention.Its hard going thru this alone
Please tell me what happened to u!
email me: ***@****
I have been having pain, nausea, dizziness and gained weight. Pregnancy tests cime back negative. Had a CT scan. I got copy if it. Doctor believes radiologist who cannot tell difference between bone and intestine so won't do anything because he figures I psycho. I see bbaby skeleton in CT scan. I cannot work. Getting frustrated and so tired.