hcg level staying the same and am I miscarring?
I had my first ultrasound and they couldn't find a heartbeat, baby measured 7wks. Since there was no heartbeat the Doctor ordered hcg, My first hcg was in the 35,000's the second was 32,000's it was going down but we wanted a third to be sure, so the doctor ordered it but it was still 32,000 and it was 3 days after the second. What is happening has anyone ever had this? I know the numbers should be dropping if I'm miscarring, Is it possible there were twins? I'm so confused.!!  The doctor has ordered an ultrasound tomorrow... I guess I will have to wait until then..
I just went through the same thing last week. My levels stayed the same at 28,000 and the doctor didn't seem concerned. He said they start to level out at some point. However, this week I went for an u/s and lost the babies heartbeat. Now my levels started dropping. I wish he was a little more concerned last week instead of letting it go. I pray for a better outcome for you and hope so, then I won't feel that my doc was just telling me a story.
The one and only time I ran the numbers game was with my fourth m/c. While they were rising, rather than doubling, they were only going up by a few thousand. Anytime a reading remains the same or drops it generally means a m/c is pending.

I am so sorry you are in this position.

Andi
Generally the leveling off doesn't occur until after the 12th week or so when the placenta takes over completely. Even still, while they may drop after that point, at any point before the 10th or 11th week if they start to drop that can signal a problem.

Andi
my numbers did a similar thing and I did m/c.  But everyone is different.  Mine were 42,000 at 7w3d at 7w6d they were 44,000.  So doc wasn't concerned "b/c they level off at a point". But then they started to decline and I m/c at 10w. I hope you don't have the same situation.
My cousin had the same thing happen. She had one miscarriage in Fall 1998 and then Sept. 1999 and May 2001 she had two healthy pregnancies. She got pregnant again for her last child Aug/Sept. 2005. October 15 she started spotting and went to the ER. She though she was like 10 weeks but Dr. in ER found no heartbeat. She was told to go home and wait for miscarriage. Nothing happened.  She went to follow up visit with OB/GYN and had ultrasound. Dr. found baby and told her she was only 7 weeks and baby was fine.  Well she just gave birth to a beautiful baby girl who has down syndrome and AVSD heart defect.  She didn't take MAFP test because she is young (28 years old) and didn't think anything, but did think it odd that her dates and the ultrasound date was 3 weeks off.