hcg levels and fetal heartbeat
I am approximately 6 weeks pregnant in my 2nd pregnancy.  My first resulted in a miscarriage where the fetus had stopped growing at 6 weeks.  My hcg levels on 10-7 were at 21,000 but they were unable to detect a heartbeat and told me that the prenancy is no good.  I believe I concieved around September 2nd/3rd.   Should I request another blood test to make sure my hcg levels are dropping and/or do another ultrasound to double check before I proceed with the D&C.  I have no bleeding and feel fine (no nausea and only a little soreness in my breast).  The Doctor said she was 99% sure I was going to miscarry.  At what level is it normal to hear the heartbeat?
It isn't so much a specific hcg level, but rather age of baby that determines when a heartbeat can be seen. 6 weeks is pretty early, it is a fine line at that age. Even a few days off on your dates (thinking you are 6 weeks 1 day when you are only actually 5 weeks 5 days for example) can make a huge difference. I would definitely ask for another ultrasound in a week or so. If you haven't seen a heartbeat at 8 weeks and your dates are correct, then a m/c may be likely.

Andrea

Definitely another u/s! There have been so many misdiagnosis' and you wouldn't want to terminate a viable pregnancy. No harm in waiting it out other than the stress.
I would schedule one more u/s and one more blood test before scheduling your d & C! My doctor told me they like to schedule at least 6weeks 4 days or even 7 weeks when trying to find the heart beat! 6 weeks is early!Give it one more week! Just because he didn't see the heart beat yet he said he was 99% sure or was there other factors! Wow that seems soon.....
Just wait till an other u/s and HCG test. I was scheduled for a D&C and on the way to the hospital I felt funny really unsure of the operation. So I demanded an other u/s. That's where they found my son's twin who's sak was deflating. My son was born perfect, but I almost lost him as well due to a quick decissions. If your not in pain or discomfort (other than worry) your body will usually take care of it for you.
I am so sorry you are going through this. I would have my hcg levels checked again. And another u/s. There is no reason to rush into a d&c, especially if you could go on to have a healthy baby. There are a lot of misdiagnosed stories. Check out this website: http://home.earthlink.net/~misdiagnosed/
Hope it helps.
Debra :o)
That is way too early!  Go to this web-site and read the cases of women who were misdiagnosed. It also has good hcg info and a lady named bonzo bean who will help you out.

http://home.earthlink.net/~misdiagnosed/

Let us know how it goes.  A D&C can affect future fertility compared to a natural miscarriage.  Let us know how it goes.
Could you post your story on this sight:

It is a collection of stories where women were told that they were miscarring and to have a D&C.  The women waited things out and ended up having their babies.  Women visit this sight to get encouragement.  It is amamazing how many women are being told to get D&C's so early in their pregnancies.  I am wondering how many babies are being lost to misdiagnosis.  We are already seeing so many cases.  Thanks a heap.  We need to collect as many success stories that we can.