Maternal & Child Community
hcg levels and fetal heartbeat

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

hcg levels and fetal heartbeat

I am approximately 6 weeks pregnant in my 2nd pregnancy.  My first resulted in a miscarriage where the fetus had stopped growing at 6 weeks.  My hcg levels on 10-7 were at 21,000 but they were unable to detect a heartbeat and told me that the prenancy is no good.  I believe I concieved around September 2nd/3rd.   Should I request another blood test to make sure my hcg levels are dropping and/or do another ultrasound to double check before I proceed with the D&C.  I have no bleeding and feel fine (no nausea and only a little soreness in my breast).  The Doctor said she was 99% sure I was going to miscarry.  At what level is it normal to hear the heartbeat?
It isn't so much a specific hcg level, but rather age of baby that determines when a heartbeat can be seen. 6 weeks is pretty early, it is a fine line at that age. Even a few days off on your dates (thinking you are 6 weeks 1 day when you are only actually 5 weeks 5 days for example) can make a huge difference. I would definitely ask for another ultrasound in a week or so. If you haven't seen a heartbeat at 8 weeks and your dates are correct, then a m/c may be likely.

Andrea

Definitely another u/s! There have been so many misdiagnosis' and you wouldn't want to terminate a viable pregnancy. No harm in waiting it out other than the stress.
I would schedule one more u/s and one more blood test before scheduling your d & C! My doctor told me they like to schedule at least 6weeks 4 days or even 7 weeks when trying to find the heart beat! 6 weeks is early!Give it one more week! Just because he didn't see the heart beat yet he said he was 99% sure or was there other factors! Wow that seems soon.....
Just wait till an other u/s and HCG test. I was scheduled for a D&C and on the way to the hospital I felt funny really unsure of the operation. So I demanded an other u/s. That's where they found my son's twin who's sak was deflating. My son was born perfect, but I almost lost him as well due to a quick decissions. If your not in pain or discomfort (other than worry) your body will usually take care of it for you.
I am so sorry you are going through this. I would have my hcg levels checked again. And another u/s. There is no reason to rush into a d&c, especially if you could go on to have a healthy baby. There are a lot of misdiagnosed stories. Check out this website: http://home.earthlink.net/~misdiagnosed/
Hope it helps.
Debra :o)
That is way too early!  Go to this web-site and read the cases of women who were misdiagnosed. It also has good hcg info and a lady named bonzo bean who will help you out.

http://home.earthlink.net/~misdiagnosed/

Let us know how it goes.  A D&C can affect future fertility compared to a natural miscarriage.  Let us know how it goes.
Could you post your story on this sight:

It is a collection of stories where women were told that they were miscarring and to have a D&C.  The women waited things out and ended up having their babies.  Women visit this sight to get encouragement.  It is amamazing how many women are being told to get D&C's so early in their pregnancies.  I am wondering how many babies are being lost to misdiagnosis.  We are already seeing so many cases.  Thanks a heap.  We need to collect as many success stories that we can.