Maternal & Child Community
hcg levels not doubling

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

hcg levels not doubling

I am 5 weeks, My HCG levels were tested 3 to 4 days apart in the past or so. They started at 100 Sat, Wed 218, Fri 285 and then this week, Tues at 660. They are not doubling in the 72 window. My DR thinks possibly etopic or blighted, but wants to check with ultrasound next Thurs for heartbeat. Has anyone had a successful pregnancy with hcg levels not doubling? I had 2 m/c in the past year. Thanks
Truthfully I never even checked my hcg levels EVER with my three pregnancies. (SOmething else to stress about)
Your levels are increasing  so thats good, You are still very early in your pregnancy.
Wait for the u/s  even at 5 weeks it may not even show up yet Most like the  women to be 8 weeks plus to see it good.
The first time they took my levels they did not double (after that they did). Now I'm 36 weeks and everything seems to be fine. It is so stressful and awful to think something can be wrong with your baby. My advise is try to relax and pray, pray, pray. I will keep you in my prayers.
Sarah
My BHCG far from doubled and my doc had me sooo nervous. I have been for U/S and everything is prefect, I am 7 weeks. Try not to stress. They like to see it double but it doesnt always work that way. It is reassuring that your levels are making a steady increase. As long as you are not bleeding or have severe cramping you are likely fine. The OB's like to be super careful which can sometimes make us more nervous than we should be. I think you will be fine and will pray for a healthy baby for you.
shay
My levels did not double either.  My OB was actually pretty casual about it.  She said as long as they were increasing steadily, everything was probably fine.  AND IT WAS!  I can understand your stress, but try to relax.  I hope you have a beautiful and healthy baby!
My numbers did not double.  They even dropped once.  The Dr. assumed it was a miscarriage.  But then they went up the next week.  Here are my numbers.  Do I have any hope?

228
125
156
200
205

My numbers only went up 20% in two days when I was 5 weeks along.  My doc told me to go for a u/s at 7 weeks (because that is the first time you can see the h/b), but not to expect to see the heartbeat.  I went in and most certainly did see the heart beat.  She told me there was no sense in getting another round of blood work because it is quite possible that they would never double and I would just worry.  She said that the h/b over rides any and all blood work.  I had a healthy baby boy.  Good Luck!
Just so you know, this horrible worry that you have right now sticks around for quite a while until you can feel the baby kick and you have a constant reminder that the baby is just fine.  Once you see the h/b you will worry your self sick by the end of the night about a new possible problem.  It does go away though.  
My beta went down today, from 256 to 213.  I am losing hope. Oldermommy
My Hcg numbers are going up, but they have my doctors office telling me to expect to miscarry!  I'm so nervous.  My labs these last two weeks have been:

6/2 - 24
6/5 - 43
6/9 - 104
6/12 - 123

They are going up slowly, but now my doctor is telling me to expect to start cramping and bleeding soon.  I don't want to think negatively right now!  I won't give up hope!!!  I still feel pregnant and haven't had any symptoms of miscarraige (miscarriage)!   I had a molar pregnancy last year, and was told to wait 1 year before TTC again.  This is my 2nd pregnancy and I just can't bare to lose another one!!  :'(
I was also told to prepare for miscarriage and it never happened.  Stay positive and get a u/s.
Thank you!  I am going to stay positive and focus on the good things!  All this stress can't be good for me or my baby.  I'm almost 7 weeks pregnant right now, and I'm hoping and praying that things go well.  I know that some women just have lower levels of Hcg and still go on to deliver healthy babies, so maybe I'm one of them :)
Mozey, please let me know what happened.  I am having the same kind of numbers and negative reports from the Dr.  I am going to pray your pregnancy goes to full term with a beautiful, healthy baby! KJbutcher is such a ray of light with a perfect ending!  I am hoping both you and I have the same results!  I know how horriable and stressful this is, I am sorry for you.  Keep the positive thoughts!~
I am sorry to say that my beta hcg dropped by 100.  I am now spotting.  This apparent miscarriage is just a very long process.  We will check the numbers again this week to insure they go all the way down to 0.  I DO have children, so this will be easier to handle.  Mozey, I prayed for you to carry full term after all you have been through!
My levels were:

6/2 - 103
6/4 - 432
6/6 - 928
6/11 - 3964
6/16 - 6388
6/18 - 8227

They are increasing, but not doubling.  I am so hoping I just had a slump in the hormone levels.  I took another beta today 6/23 and I get the results tomorrow.  Pray for me please and wish me so much luck!!!  I've had 2 miscariages and this is my 3rd pregnancy.  At 5.5 weeks, there was no heartbeat and so they are doing another U/S this Wednesday.  I will be 6.5 weeks.  If they don't see one, he may schedule a D&C.  I so hope I don't have to.  At least I am on Prometrium and it is holding the pregnancy so I will not miscarriage on my own.  I would so much rather be put under because even at 7 weeks last time when I miscarried, it was so painful.

Oldermommy, I am sorry about what is going on with you.  
Hey, your numbers do not look too bad.  You more than doubled up until the last 2.  Almost on 6/16.  I think you are going to be all right. If you do not see anything on the u/s at 6.5 weeks, I would wait at least another week and try another u/s before giving up.  I always heard at least wait until 7 weeks, and maybe even 8 if you ovulate late or miscalculated your dates.  If you have a tilted uterus (more people have that and do not even know) than you can even miss seeing the baby at 7 weeks. (You can ask the u/s tech to put a pillow under your lower back to help see everything better.)  I ended only spotting a little in the morning, so I still have not completed the process.  I will get my new beta numbers tomorrow, and hopefully that will give me some more answers.  My poor husband is convinced this is still a viable pregnancy!  Ah...positive thinking I say!  I saw the cutest baby blanket fabric at the store the other day....it had script writing on it and I was thinking I would like to make a blanket out of it....I looked closer at the script and than noticed it read "miracle baby". Wow.  I am praying your pregnancy ends up with a perfect, beautiful, healthy baby for you.  I will make you that blanket!!
Did you get the ultra sound?  How did it go?  I am hoping all is well for you.  My numbers again dropped to 58.  I just want it to get to 0 so I can get back to normal.  I hope I get a cycle too, than I know all is normal again. Now time to lose those few pounds I gained through all of this!
My levels have started out low and aren't doubleing.  My Dr. said it doesn't look good and that I'll probably start miscarring soon.  I'm so upset.  I had an ectopic back in Jan,and we have been trying with no luck ever since.  I can't believe this is happening.  How is your pregnancy going?  My levels look alot like yours: 7/29-32,7/31-72,     8/1-103,8/130
try not to worry too much because your levels are still increasing.
mine only went up 20% in two days and I had a healthy baby boy.  good luck
Clearly this is an older thread, but I still want to comment on it.

I am dealing with the same thing, really.  I went in at 6 weeks exactly for my first appointment, and I had been having some EXTREMELY light spotting for about a day before that, so I was worried.  I had a miscarriage about 6 months ago at 12 weeks, so I was instantly panicked.  

They did an u/s, and said everything looked ok, no heartbeat yet, but it may be too early.  One odd thing was that the pregnancy was developing far on the right side of my uterus, so he would monitor that, but that it could mean nothing at all.

My first numbers from my blood draw looked good - 4118.  "Great" is what the nurse had said.  My second draw, almost 3 days later, was only 6120.  This was still in the acceptable range for how far along I was, but CLEARLY not enough of a rise.  

The nurse told me just to keep monitoring things, so I'm sitting around this weekend, waiting.  And of course running to the bathroom wtih every little twitch or gas bubble. So far there have been no changes in the spotting.  It's been very light, and only visible when wiping.  Only one time did I see any red, and it was after a b/m, and just a tiny bit, and it was really more pink and watery than regular blood.  The Dr told me repeatedly that spotting was very common in early pregnancy, and I've heard women say they basically had a light period for the entire 1st trimester and everything was fine.  (Blood, not just brown spotting.)  

But the levels not rising enough really scares me.  Reading on here some of your stories gives me a little hope, I guess, but I don't really want to have hope!  It'll just hurt all that much more if things go where they are looking to go.  

I go in Monday, supposedly, for another u/s and blood draw, so hopefully I'll know more then.  

I to am going through something similar. I am about 6.5wks. I lost my first pregnancy. My levels were very low the first time. Now...I had them checked and on sat 1/17 they were at 25480, and they rechecked it 1/19 and it was at 34600. They are not doubling. I have to go and get an U/S on thursday. I pray that everything is ok. I hope everything will be ok for you as well.
Please help?!?!
On Friday July 24th I found out I was pregnant- my HCG was 227 and on Tuesday, July 28th my HCG was 546. My HCG is rising but not doubling. What does this mean?
It is possible that you began with two and now only have one, and it is possible that the pregnancy is not progressing correctly.  But there are probably women out there who had slow-rising hCG and still had a normal pregnancy.  Let your doctor be your guide -- your next set of numbers will tell you a lot.
well on december 8 2009 i foundout i was pregnant and my levels were at 980 then on the 9th they were 1500 something then on on the 10th they were at 1834 and now today on the 15th they are only like 1900's i am so confused is ther any hope i dont think there is but i dont know what to do cause in 5 days they only went up like 100
MY LEVELS ARE GOING UP FIRST BEING AT 1100 THEN 20,000 THEN 22,000  THEN 2 WEEKS LATER 34,000 AND STILL NO FETAL POLE AND THAT WAS AT SEVEN WEEKS 2 DAYS SO VERY NERVOUS HAVE ANYBODY WENT THROUGH THIS AND ENDED UP SEEIN A FETAL POLE.
       these have been my levels
1015 4/14/10
1860 4/16/2010
3565 4/19/2010
5676 4/21/10

they have not doubled but the dr thinks they are increasing well, but accourding to my last peorid i should be about 7wks and i have had 4 ultra sounds and they can not even find a baby sac does anyone have any helpful info on this??
I am currently in the "i dont want to give up" boat. i know it's been a few years since this post. But I'm on my third pregnancy, 2 miscarriages in 2012, I'm 26. On Day 1 (5w4d) my numbers were 270 and then 48 hours later 274.

What were the results of your pregnancies?

My midwife told me to prepare for another miscarriage but this pregnancy doesn't feel the same as the last two. My husband and I truly want this baby.

Any help