Maternal & Child Community
hcg levels went down, then up. Worried about ectopic pregnancy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I am currently 6 wks, 2 days pregnant.  I have a large fibroid in my uterus.  When I was 14, 16, 18, 25, and 28 dpo my doctor had my hcg levels tested.  Here are the results:

14 dpo  177
16 dpo  198
18 dpo  154
surprisingly they went back up one week later:
25 dpo  834
28 dpo  1246

When my doctor did the ultrasound in his office he could not see anything in my uterus.  It is very possible that my large fibroid obstructed his view.  The fibroid is filling my entire uterus.  He is sending me for another hcg test tomorrow and a higher quality ultrasound if the numbers continue to rise.  He is concerned about an ectopic pregnancy.

My doctor doesn't think it's a viable pregnancy because the numbers are low.  Through my research I have discovered that the numbers are low, but still within normal range.  He also thinks that the numbers aren't doubling as they should.  Again, in my research I have discovered that the numbers don't need to double every two days, but should at least rise by 66%, which is what they are doing.  My doctor wants to give me methotrexate to induce miscarriage.  I just don't feel that we have enough information to give up yet.  On the other hand, I am terrified that I do have an ectopic pregnancy and my tube will rupture.  

I just don't know what to do.  I am so worried about my health and well-being, worried about the pregnancy, and ready to have some definitive answers so I can move on with my life.  

I would love to hear from others who have had a similar experience, whether the outcome was positive or negative.  Thank you so muc
I recently went through a somewhat similar experience. My HCG levels were low but rising and weren't close to doubling as they should. I was worried and frantic as I went back and forth from the lab to the Doctor's office. It's so hard waiting and wondering what is going on inside your body. I feel for you but know that you will get through it. Keep strong, ask the doctor questions and make sure you are in tune with any pains on either side of your stomach.  

My HCG levels finally began to fall and I had a m/c. I am actually going back to the OB/GYN today to make sure that my HCG level is at or close to zero.

I wish you all the best.

The exact thing happend to me back in july.I was also 6 wks and levels were way to low.My first hcg test was 600,800,553then it went up to 1400 by then I was already 7wks at 8wks last hcg was 2800 still to low & there was never a visible sac.I waited & still had hope but by 8/19 still no sac & hcg levels slooowly were going up.My auntie went threw the same thing yrs. ago & tube ruptured had to have it removed.So I knew the danger's of an ectopic.I had one last u/s & still nothing on 8/19 was given the methotrexate shot & it was the hardest thing I ever did.But I have two other kids & did'nt want to put myself in danger.On 8/25 I began to cramp bad and started to bleed & clotted alot this lasted 4wks.I was very lucky, no pain in tubes,no fever & no damage to tubes.I will be ttc again in jan. when all the meds. are out of my sys. & my body has healed.I'm not saying this is your case.Just wanted to tell you my story.Keep us posted,& were all hear for advice**nanis
my doctor did hcg blood test which confirmed that i was pregnant , she then booked me in for a scan and they noticed a shadow on my left falliopian tube , the doctor said it may b a possible ectopic pregnancy so they kept me in hospital to do some more blood tests my hcg levels came back high then the last 2times so they examined me and explained to me again about an ectopic. 2 days later they did another hcg blood test and my levels had sightly droped by about 100 so the doctor said it may b a possible miscarraige (miscarriage) and sent me home in pain with no meds and bleeding seriously heavy.the next 2day spent in bed and culdnt move as it was to pain ful,my partner helped me to the doctor's surgery and she gave me some codiene and did another blood test as she wasnt happy that they sent me home blood tests came back higher then ever b for and she told me to go to hospital right away or call an ambulance. which in 24 hours i was in threatre having an emergancy op to remove my left fallopian tube which had ruptured i was so close to death and lost over half my body blood through wrong diagnoises . what i wanted and answer to is can hcg levels rise then fall then rises again tio confirm ectopic and should the doctor hav released me thinkin it was a miscarrage (miscarriage) plez if u can  help me ***@****. many thanks
HI. reading this makes me worry. 4 weeks ago i was having pain on my left side. my HCG was 300+ and had an ultrasound and the doctor said he didn't see anything in my uterus and no ectopic and maybe I just wasn't far enough along.. 2 days later my HCG was 100+ so he said I had a misacrriage. I continued to bleed for 4 weeks. was worried so I got another Hcg done after having that same cramping on the left and my level was 300+ again. I had another US and doctor says he sees nothing again. he isn't sure why my levels went up again but that I may still be pregnant, He says it may have not reached my uterus yet.. How is that possible??He never even mentioned the word ectopic.  He put me on progesterone to stop the bleeding.. and I am repeating  Hcg in a week. What the heck is going on? would he see an ectopic if it was there on the US?  Could I be pregnant a 2nd time?I did have sex 2 weeks ago when i thought the bleeding stopped for a day. I do not want to get my hopes up. I also hope that if I have a baby that nothing is wring with her/him. This is somewhat similar to your experience. I really wish doctors would just be honest and open with their patients.
last year I suffered an ectopic pregnancy and had the left tube removed. I recently found out that I am pregnant again and the numbers seemed to be going up perfectly. I had some cramping on the right side but the Dr's said that it was just ligament pain and it would go away. It did but I was spotting all day. I went in for HCG and my numbers went down so Dr. said m/c. I went back today 5 days later and my numbers are higher than before. We were not allowed to have sex for the last few weeks so I know that I am not pregnant again and last year I was bleeding really bad and lost over half my blood so I am really not sure if this pregnancy is ectopic or not but I am worried that it is.  I am worried that I may never be able to have kids
Have you had a scan done? I dont think you mentioned how far along you are. They can tell from a transvaginal ultrasound whether you have an ectopic or not. I just had a tube removed last week, when I was 8 weeks. They did check around 5 weeks but it was too early.
I know pains such as cramping are normal but havign had one ectopic you are at slightly higher a risk of another one so get them to monitor you much closer. I think if I am pregnant again my docs will do a HcG levels and 6 weeks scan as routine. Like you, I am at high risk so they have told me already i will be in the EPCU as soon as I know I am pregnant.
Let us know how you get on.. all the best
Minimin
I did a pregnancy test and found i was pregnant. great news. after a year of trying. two days later i started bleeding. my levels were checked 200+ two days later they were 150, a miscarriage was diagnosed. Two days after that my levels were back up to 300+. I had an ultrasound today where they couldn't find a sac. Another week of agonizing to find out what my levels will be. I have no idea what's going on. Has anyone been through this?
im having the same issue i was told that i had a miscarriage my hcg droped to 53 then to 40 back up to 180 ,212,303 within a few days apart i'm also scared dont know whats going on they told me about a week ago my cervix was completely opened and 2 days later i went back and the dr said my cervix was completely closed. their thinking i'm around 3and a half to 4 weeks but no signs in my uterus and no signs of an ectopic.i go back for another hcg sunday i'll be glad to find out for sure what is going on.
my hcg levels are doing the same it was at 143 on 5/27 then on 5/29 they were 71 and on 5/31 they were back up to 147 and now 6/2 waiting for results. and had an eptopic in febuary. but my question is has anyone had something simmular happen and did carry a baby to term?
I have had similar issues.. I tested and had hcg level at 246 and 2 days later I tested at 100.. I am having some slight bleeding and im guessing its a m/c.. I have a doc appt. Tommorow to see whats happening.. I hope that my hcg levels go up.. But I am not getting my hopes up.. My doc had discussed  that it could be an ovarian cyst and that it had ruptured and thats what was causing the bleeding..
Hello found out I was pregnant on 4/18/11 by doc performed pregnancy test. Went in after having severe cramping on the left side of my tummy. This was day 8 of what I thought was a period. I was wrong. Hcg levels taken that day was at 1700 was told this puts me at 6 week pregnant. Was instructed to come back for another hcg test 2 days later which had dropped to 700+. Was told then I was having a misscarriage and to come back in 4r days for hcg test to ensure levels drop to 0. During this time I had more bleeding some days worse then others and on 3rd day passed huge clotwhich was round and big. Very painful. Went for testing next day levels were at 300. Doc said will continue to monitor hcg levels but seems I will be ok. Came back 4 days later for hcg test and numbers at almost 600+. Was told still pregnant and to come in for ultra sound. Docs found cyst on left ovary common when pregnant with twins. Doc say I passed 1 fetus but 1 left. Count find sac in uterus. Recommended methotrexate which I refused my hubby and I still holding on to our faith and hope of having a much wanted child. Still went for hcg test for 2 weeks somtimes up sometimes down. But not much different either way. Ultra sunds showed nothing not even eptopic pregnancy which they thought it was. On 5/16/11 had severe pain in left side of tummy again. Went to er where ultra sound confirmed eptopic but made it to hospital before rupture. Was given methotrexate which I gladly accepted fearing the worse which was surgery and didn't want to rizk my life. The whole ordeal was very hard on my self as well as my husband. Went for hcg test and levels down to 300 not much but were expected to go up before going down between day 1 and 4. Still keeping in contact with doc to make sure all goes well. Was told I should avoid pregnancy for 3 months. My advce to you ladies is there is nothing wrong with having hope and faith. Pay attention to your body and take your doctors advice in to serious consideration they do know more about this then we do. But still do your own research never ake anyones word as gospel even the doctors. I wish you all the best and happy healthy future children to all those that want them. :-)
My hcg level was 40 almost 3 weeks ago I went to the doctor yesturday and it's still at 40 no sign of a baby at all im worried what is wrong & my last period was April 24 which will make me 7 weeks & sum days I'm so scared cus my sister went threw the same thing but 2 weeks later the doctors was wrong she got a 2nd look & got her baby heart beat so I'm scared and confuse about my situation
my hcg level is at 198 i found out i was regnant on tue got my hcg level tested on wed which was 198 but im having slight bleeding but its like dried up and is a funny brown colour i got my hcg level tested again today but just waiting on the result!! any suggestions