Maternal & Child Community
hcg levels

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

hcg levels

i had 4 eggs trans into me on 09/17/05. this was a 5 day trans from the date of retrievel. on 09/27/05 i got the call that i was pregnant with a hcg level of 179. then on 09/30/05 my second hcg level was 400. the day of my 2nd hcg reading i woke and had very light spotting, since then i have had no spotting but i have had some lower stomach cramps and my breast are not as tender.
this was my 4th ivf and last on i can not afford anymore. i had mscarried last year.

please let me know if you think i am ok and my levels are good.

as reading other comments on the rang od the hcg levels i dont understand the read 17-1500. what does that mean.
I had spotting and cramps later on and am now 30 weeks.  I did have a miscarriage after numbers like yours - but no symptoms taht early - good luck
sound like you had one egg, maybe 2 implant. the spotting could have been left over implant bleed or stress. your numbers did double so that is good. rest and relax, nothing strenuous and call the doc. if the bleeding gets heavier and you are cramping go to the er. i am keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

love...kimmie
No you don't have to be at 1,000 in a few days, if initial measurement was 100, it only needs to double to 200 in 2-3 days. And then keep doubling, to 400, 800 etc.... But it takes at least 48 hours to double. That is just the range 100-1,000. As long as it is within that and doubling. The ranges are so big, and overlap, cuz every woman is different. God bless!
thank you very much for getting back to me. i am a mess i can't sleep all i am doing is laying around the house waiting for my next hcg reading.

i am not bleeding only had that apotting that morning and it seems that my cramping are gone. my breast are tender now and then more now then then. i also don't feel like i am pregnant other then tender breast does that mean anything.

i do not want to sound stupid but i am still trying to understand the hcg rang. i dont understand the spread, if the reading reads 100-1,000 does that mean if you are at 100 one day in two or three days you should be close to 1,000.00.

thank you very much for all your help
I agree with Kimmie's post above. Here's a chart and info regarding normal HCG levels in pregnancy. I got this info from the medical lab where I work, so it should be reliable. You seem well within normal range. Like Kimmie said, if you have any more bleeding, check with doc. God bless!

Expected Values During Pregnancy:
0.2-1 Week: 5-50 mIU/ml

1-2 Weeks: 50-500 mIU/ml

2-3 Weeks: 100-5,000 mIU/ml

3-4 Weeks: 500-10,000 mIU/ml

4-5 Weeks: 1,000-50,000 mIU/ml

5-6 Weeks: 10,000-100,000 mIU/ml

6-8 Weeks: 15,000-200,000 mIU/ml

2-3 Months: 10,000-100,000 mIU/ml

Test Usage Notes
A quantitative HCG measures the total HCG present in mIU/ml. In pregnancy, the levels of HCG increase exponentially for about 8-10 weeks after the last menstrual cycle. Later, the concentration begins to fall as the placenta begins to produce steroid hormones. Due to variations among individuals, there is not an effective normal range for early pregnancies. The rate of change over a given interval is essentially constant for normal pregnancies. For initial measurement ***ABBATE:Your initial measurement WAS within this range, very good AND it doubled****of 100-1,000 mIU/ml, the HCG values should double every 2-3 days.
It needs to at LEAST double, if more than doubles that's good too.
thank you again, i am going to the city tomarrow for another hcg level and i will let you know, so if you think i am about 4 weeks (1 month) then my hcg level should be 3-426 miu from the list i am looking at and i am only at 400. i still don't under stand the charts on the net.

3 weeks - 5 -50
4 weeks - 3 -426
5 weeks - 19-7,340
6 weeks - 1,080-56,500
7-8 weeks - 7,650-229,000
9-12 weeks - 25,700-288,000
13-16 weeks - 13,300-165,400
25-40 weeks - 3,640-117,000

since i am around 1 month i should be at 426 correct so i am low.
thank again for taking this time and explaning this to me as this is very new to me.

god bless you also.
I don't know too much about IVF, but I would think going by the trans, would make the most sense. God bless!
Either way you are probably about a month along. Your last HCG is from 9/30. I would get another one, it should continue rising. God bless!!!
thank you again you seem to be the only one that is telling me anything.
now i have another question, what do i go by do i go by the date of the retieval or the date of the trans.

my retrieval was 09/12/05
my trans was     09/17/05
prenancy test    09/27/05 - positive w/179 hcg levels
second hcg level 09/30/05 - 400  

can you let me know what date i should be going by to determin what hcg level i should be at.

thank so much
sandi
I don't know about the charts on the net. But according to the chart I posted above,  you are fine. The one I posted comes from where I work. I work at a medical lab, doctors send us blood for HCG levels every day, and these our set levels, that we go by when we give the doctors the results.  I think you are fine. Besides isn't that 400 result a few days old? You are probably higher now. Get it checked again and let me know!!! God bless!
P.S. I'm sorry but if you go by trans date, you are only about 3 weeks along. Sorry. I'm also not CERTAIN that is the date you should go by. But the HCG level from 9/30 seems well within range...if going by trans date, you would've only been about 2 weeks then. Keep me posted, God bless!
i just came back from ny had my 3rd hcg level taken, results will be in later this afternoon.

i will keep you posted, i did finally speak to a dr. there and they said they go two weeks per to the trans date which was 09/17/05, so i would me appr 4 weeks today.

i will let you know my results,

sandi
i just wanted to let you know my last hcg level is now 1961

09/27 - 179
09/30 - 439
10/04 - 1,961

i feel much better now maybe i can sleed, but still gonna take it one day at a time.

ultrsound it thrusday.

will keep you up to date.

thanks again
sandi
Looks good!!! Yes, please keep posting with updates. God bless!
Hi.  You seem to be pretty knowlegeable about these levels.  Mine goes a little deeper though.  I had an u/s and a t/v that revealed a sac but no yolk.  The sac measured 5 weeks, 2 days and my levels were 11000.  I went yesterday and they were 14600.  Do you think that is good?  I'm just freaking out a little.  They told me I might have a blighted ovum, but I have been reaidng other posts and they say it is too early to see anything.
You ARE within the range of 5-6 weeks according to the chart. I don't know much about the u/s though. I just got those levels from the lab I work at. You are early though. Your HCG levels seem fine, so hang in there! God bless!
just wanted to keep you up to date, went for my 1st ultrasound saw the sac witha yolk sac consistent with 4..8 weeks. ( which would mean you were right on target). no heart beat yet but they said the is normal don't hear the heart beat until around 6 weeks.

going back next week for another ultrasound as they said there was a possibility that there was another sac but it was to early.

please say a pray for me and god bless you
sandi
Hi all! This is the only site on the net that I think that could be most helpful. If this means anything, which I'm not convinced, my last LMP was 8/14/05, averaging about a 30 day cycle based on past LMP's. Pregnancy test positive on 9/23/05. (Forgot about period - wasn't expecting to be pregnant)Scheduled first initial dr.s appt. for 10/12/05 but had to be seen last week due to some bleeding and cramping, had u/s done was told no heartbeat and that measurements were accurate according to LMP ( which is about 7 weeks).They were very quick to want to do a D&C. I went the next day and had blood work done (you can call it Denial, but that wasn't enough for me to accept that the pregnancy just stopped) I just got the results back and it showed 4260-which they say that I'm only about 2-3 weeks pregnant. We should find out today's bloodwork tomorrow if not the day after. This is my 4th pregnancy. The first 3 were normal. This is all new to me and I just want to know if there is anybody that can relate to my situation with positive results. Look forward to any responses.
i wouldn't listen to them about the HCG, mine was only 220 at almost 5wks, & my dr was very happy w/that. keep your hopes up, negativity never helps one way or the other, don't let them get you down either. sometimes i think they are too quick to offer their advice, espcecially when it's negative.
At 6.5 weeks my HCG levels were 229,000 and then 303,000 An ultrasound was normal for 6.5 weeks.  My Dr. is not concerned about these numbers but from what I read about what others consider high I can't help but wonder...Has anybody ever researched meanings behind numbers like these?
I've been reading all of y'alls posting and maybe y'all can help me. We have been trying for about 6 month to get pregnant, I was scheduled to have surgery to clear a blockage in my tubes. Well on October 25th my doctor had me take a blood test to make sure I was not pregnant well on the 26th he calls and said he need me to take another test because my levels were boarder line. The day of my surgery I received a call canceling the surgery because my levels were at 29 and need me to have my blood drawn again. So on 10/31 my levels came back at 127. He asked me to have my blood drawn again in 7 days 11/7 it is now at 707. Bow they want me to have my blood drawn in a week again. I've spoke to the Nurse and all she said is they just want to make sure it keeps going up. Below is a breakdown from my LMP. I've read so many HCG Level web sites and I'm just confused. If any one has any ideas let me know.

10/03 = LMP
10/17 = Ovulated
10/26 = 29
10/31 = 127
11/07 = 707
11/14 = ?
I was looking at your HCG Chart and I had a few questions. I had my LMP on 10/15 SInce Saturday (11/5) I have been so tired and hungry, I got a blood test done today and it came back negative, my question is I was fertile on 10/28 Is it possible that I am pregnant and the test just couldn't pick it up yet? I am due for my period in Saturday the 13th, I have been reading up on this and it says the HCG doesn't start until after implantation and you can implant up to 10-12 days after ovulation, being that I am on Day 10  would there be any HCG? Is it possible to implant this close to your due date of your period? Any input would be so helpful I lost a baby in August do to an ectopic pregnancy and want nothing more to be pregnant again.
at four weeks pregnant i my hcg level was 107. is this okay? i am very scared the doctor was not happy with this.does anyone have any advice? i would deeply appreciate any advice or if anyone can help. doctor was not helpful.
I read your pp and you sound like me....high hcg numbers.  
At exactly 6 weeks my blood was drawn and came back at 40,997.  Slightly over 48 hours later (51 hrs.) my second draw was 52,000+.  My doc has me down for an u/s late next week.  At my six week appt. we did see only one fetus and we were almost certain there was a heartbeat.  

I'm totally confused why some numbers are so dang high and other seems lower or just average....?

Thanks!
Andie
im in the same boat as you all. we think we are 9 weeks but embryo measuring 5 to 6 weeks. started spotting on wed nov 9.dr told me i was gonna miscarry. went in on mon dr sent me for hcg test. found out later that hcg level is 3456 i go back on wed.pray for me as i pray for all of you
hi, i had a ivf  retreival on  9/15/07 transfer on 9/18/07 my first hgg was on 9/29/07 and was on 63 the second  was 10/1/07 and was on 146 i have to get one more hcg tomorrow, but she told me i am pregnant. thas normal???? thank u all. God bless
i had a miscarried on 12/31/07. my hcg was at 707 they say my sac was getting smaller and i was threaten for a miscarriage.took a pregnant test at the hospital on 1/24/08 and said i was slightly pregnant also did hcg its 33 don't know if it came from the miscarried because i passed it on my own no D.C. I did hcg on 1/29/08 waiting on results.wondering if i could be pregnant?