Maternal & Child Community
health care after abortion

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

health care after abortion

I am going to do an abortion (with pill) in 3 days. I would like to know what I should do to take care of myself after that. Beside sleeping, drinking a lot of fluid, what are the vitamins and herbs (teas ) I could take to heal better. Also, I was planning a trip to Florida, a week later. Can I use tampons a week later to be abel to go in ocean and pool? What about jacuzzi ( I would think no). What else should I do. Can I take a plane? Thank you. My termination will occur almost 4 weeks pregnant.
I don't know how an abortion works, I had to have a D&C due to a miscarraige (miscarriage)... I bled a lot and was in some pain... They told me that I could not use any tampons, etc. only pads - they also said no intercourse... I don't know how a pill works... I am sorry that you feel you have to terminate this baby... It is so sad...
Have you thought about adoption? There are so many wonderful families out there that would love to have a baby because they cannot do so on their own.  It is obviously your choice. I personally don't believe in abortions. I feel you would regret it. Good luck in whatever choice you make.
Shoshana, this is the Maternal & Child forum so your question might have been better under the Womens Health.  

Has your dr. told you anything about how to take care of yourself after the abortion?  I don't think that tampons or a jacuzzi would be very good and could lead to infection.  

No vitamins or herbs will really make a difference.  

I agree that the Women's Forum may be a better location for this post, you may find your question coming under intense scrutiny by the regular posters here.

I think you need to address all of these questions with your doctor. But i will echo May in that tampons are a no-no as the risk of infection is quite high. After my own prior losses, I abstained from tampons for one full cycle following the end of the bleeding from the losses. And I also agree that there are no vitamins or herbal remedies that will speed up recovery.

Be aware that regardless of whether it is induced or happens naturally, the bleeding that comes with losing a pregnancy can last weeks. Perhaps a delay in the trip would be in order until you know how well you are healing.

Most importantly you need to get all of this in writing from your prescribing doctor. You need to know what to expect, how to take the meds, when you need to call (ie excessive bleeding or other symptoms) and when it would be okay to resume normal activities, including swimming, intercourse, tampon use, etc. Do not start taking them until you are completely clear on all of the above. This is your future fertility on the line as well as your health right now.
Tampons would be a no and so would jacuzzis and any other place where you could risk infection.

Also, abstain from sex for a month or two (depends on how long your doc says) and make sure you put a form of BC in place where you don't have to go through this again.

The one other thing you need to think about is your emotional health besides your physical health...you are going to feel emotionally worse than physically because no matter which way you look at it, it is a loss, even if this is something you want to do, your heart will register a loss. A trip may temporarily distract you from this but do make sure you follow up with your doctor or put something in place where you can talk to someone if you need to after this.

I am so sorry you are in the position where this is the solution. I don't want to judge it--you do what you know how with what you have at the time. I just know that there are women on here who would welcome your child with open arms and if there is any way you can reconsider, take the next few days to think about it and pray about it. Sometimes God provides a solution you never thought possible and every unwanted pregnancy is a wanted baby by someone somewhere.

All the best to you. I agree with the other posters that the Women's Forum might be a better place since there are many women on here struggling to even keep a pregnancy or become pregnant and it is so hard for us to read about abortion.

Take care.
can you please find another place to ask this question, i am struggling to keep this pregnancy and there is hundreds of women here who want to get pregnant, and you are coming to ask about abortion, you really don't have any emotions to feel with us, please GET OUT AND FIND ANOTHER PLACE!
Yeah this might turn into another heated discussion, i dont understand why ppl post those kind of questions on here. WHat an insult.
Like And said you may be bleeding for a while.  I had a m/c and bleed for over three weeks and it was very heavy.  I however don't know what type of bleeding in involved when one has an abortion.  
I find it sad that a woman can have an abortion and then take off to Florida like its no big deal.  So sad.  
C'mon ladies, walk a mile in someone else's shoes and your perspective may change. She asked for help and advice, how often are people screaming on here that there isn't enough support. The view is quite nice from the higher ground.
How many different ways are there to abort a child?  Geesshhh!!  I honestly never heard that they will give a pill to abort a healthy pregnancy.  Maybe she has already miscarried and she is using the pill to start the process... I've heard of that.  
tampons are a no no along with swimming and sex. please really think twice about it. i'm saying this cuz i have been in your shoes two years ago. i had an aborttion b/c i lost everything due to a huurricane and i didn't know what to do. thanks to the lord and asking him forgiveness things worked out for me and my family and i was bless with another home. but now i think back and really regret what i did. especially since i just had a m/c and feel i was punished because i aborted a baby. please rethink this. i know the choice is yours but think about the future and when you do want a baby. and about your trip, you might have to cancel that cause you are going to be in pain and the dr is going to put you on bedrest. please think it out and make sure that is what you want to do. if you don't mind me asking, why do you want an abortion? good luck and god bless in whatever you do
Many women say abortion for a missed miscarriage that needs to be induced. It really doesn't matter why she is doing it.  It's simply her choice to make.  We have no idea what her circumstances are.  
Nermine- I can't believe you would tell someone to go away.   Many of us don't understand why you tried to get pregnant so soon after a c-section knowing the risks but we have all supported you and offered guidance.  
We all have different opinions on things but it doesn't make anyone less of a person.
I think there is a certain time that you can take pills to induce an abortion / miscarriage.  I know that there is a morning after pill but she is past that.  If it is really early, I think there is a pill.  I don't know.
Please think hard about this decision. You will have to live with it the rest of your life. Just read some of the posts here about all the women who would give anything to get pregnant. A child is a gift. If it is not the right time for you, there are other families who want your child. I was adopted as a baby and have nothing but the highest respect for my birthmom who was only 19 and in college. She will always be my hero even if I never get to meet her.