Maternal & Child Community
heart palpitations

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

heart palpitations

Hi I'm 24w and have been experiencing frequent heart palpitations.  I had them before I got pregnant but not anywhere near as often as now.  I had a stress test in May 06 and everything came back ok. I've read it could be a lack of potassium in my diet.  Has anyone experienced this while pregnant? Thanks
I had heart palpitations like crazy around 26 weeks or so. It was just pregnancy related. It never hurts to check with your Dr. if you are concerned, though. They had me wear a Holter monitor on my chest for 24 hours just to make sure everything was fine, and that made me feel a lot better.  
ive had heart palpitations early on in my pregnancy.  they have gone away by now tho (38 weeks).  I cant recall exactly when i had them, but i think it was prior to 24 weeks.  

if you have had a stress test in the past, then im assuming you have had some cardiac problems and/or concerns.  if that is the case, and you are experiencing palpitations, i would definitely mention it to your dr.
I had heart palpitations before pregnancy as well but one morning after a bout of morning sickness around 9 weeks I got them bad and they would not stop, to the point of me loosing my breath.  The doctor told me to go to the ER and when I did they kept me (for 9 days).  This was very uncommon and my heart was healthy it was just that my heart fell out of rythem and they could not get it back - I was up to 160 - 180 bpm normal is just 60.  They pregnancy overflow of blood and fluid made it difficult for them to treat but they finally got it and I have been medicated but fine ever since.  I am now 29 weeks.  I dont want to scare you this is no common at all but if it does not stop I would go to the ER or at least call your doctor.  What I had was called atrial fibrillation they fixed it by giving me a cardioverision - shocked my heart.  Didn't hurt and I got to go home two days after that.  Crazy huh?  I have always been healthy and my heart is still healthy just some crazy beat that they say the baby caused.

Good Luck.  Try to relax.
i have a very high pulse rate naturally, and was checked by a cardiologist years back. all of my tests came back ok- it's just the way i am. when i got pregnant, i mentioned this to my doctor. he referred me to a cardiologist to get checked again since pregnancy does put so much strain on the heart. i suggest you do the same.