Maternal & Child Community
heating baby bottles

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

heating baby bottles

Ok ladies you all seem very intelligent so here is my question...what EXACTLY is the big deal about heating baby bottles in the microwave? Thanks for your answers!!!
my nutritionist at wic just went over this with me.  She said that you should never heat bottles in the microwave because it causes hot spots that we cant feel when we test the temp of the bottle.  It could burn the babys mouth.
Hot spots can be overcome by just shaking the contents of the bottle to mix them,  before testing on your wrist.

The bigger problem with microwaves is it destroys breast milk.  If you are feeding commercial formula,  and you shake the bottle vigorously before testing,  there is no problem with microwaves.
I heat mine in the microwave... I shake it after it comes out of the microwave as the previous poster said.  

There would be no way my son would wait for me to heat up his bottle on the stove prior to me feeding him.  
If you are using formula, try using room temp water or warmer water out of the tap. It's a bit easier then warming in the microwave, and you don't have to worry about the hot spots.

Also, if you use the playtex bottles with the plastic liners, the liners may not handle the microwaving well and could come apart at the seams. I don't know if any of you have ever had one of those bags break when you are pushing on it, but it's a mess. :)
I agree with the second post. If you are breastfeeding and heating up the bottle in the microwave, no need to breastfeed. By doing so, you are killing ALL of the antibodies your baby needs. If you are using formula, you do not have this problem, except you are getting your baby use to warm bottle and therefore you will have to warm it up everywhere you go.
formula? or breastmilk?
With formula, I don't see any problem as long as you shake the milk, and then test the temp. first.
Breastmilk, it is supposed to destroy the antibodies in the milk. I just put the bottle in a dish of very hot tap water for a few minutes to get the fat to mix back in.
I don't have the specifics but there have been recent articles relating to a cancer-causing agent leaking to the milk over long periods of time after consistently heating a bottle.  There is some information missing in my statement but there was a post regarding this earlier this month.  Avent, Dr. Brown's, and a couple of other bottles were used in that study.  It's because of the plastic used to make the bottles.  The Playtex Nursers were one of the ones considered to be safer.  Of course there is a big debate that these studies are flawed and I tend to think they are but that is my own opinion.

When heating DD's formula I put it in a cup (only because I use the Playtex with Drop-Ins and those puppies are a mess when they burst) and bring it just to room temperature...maybe 15 secs or so.  But luckily, my DD takes it cold, room temp, or warm.  
right, there's an issue with plastic bottles leaching CFCs when heated. just heat whatever you're serving in a glass container, swirl or shake, then pour into a plastic feeding bottle.