Maternal & Child Community
help with potty traiing HELP HELP

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

help with potty traiing HELP HELP

I started potty training my 21/2 year old 3 days ago.  The first day he wet his underwear 3 times and went in the potty several times including a poop.  Since then he has resisted and will hold his pee most of the day.  Yesterday he went in the morning and then did not pee again until 4 pm ( with a BM).  He then did not go again until the next morning when he woke up.  I have tried rewards, candy parties balloons going to mcdonalds.  You name it.  He has not wet his underwear since that first day which is good I suppose, and he LOOOOVes his underwear, but he just won't go pee.  I also want to mention that previous to the potty training he has had a dry diaper every morning for atleast a month or 2, and then he would wet it about 20 mintues after he woke up.  I know he had good control but this seems unhealthy.  I really don't want to go back to diapers but I am worried about bladder infection or kidney issues if he is not urinating frequently enough ( I am ginving him lots of fluids to help him go).  ANy advice or infor would be so appreciated.  Thanks!
You could try "potty jail"... I kinda did it with DD... With traditional potty jail, you put a baby gate at the bathroom door and tell him that he can't come out without going potty... I kinda did the same thing - but I stayed with DD in the bathroom and told her we couldn't leave until she went potty... It took her about 5 minutes and then she got bored and went potty...
He may simply not be ready.  Boys do take longer.  You could put it all away for another month and try later.

When I potty trained my boys, it was very matter of fact.  I got a whole lot of small toys (like matchbox cars, etc) and wrapped each one.  I put them in a huge fishbowl on top of the fridge. (Clear was very important so they could see all the mystery toys inside the fishbowl).
I explained very casually that going potty in the little toilet would earn them a prize.  No more was said about it.  

In nothing flat, (in particular with my second son) they were going potty, dragging me in to look, and then to the fishbowl to fish their prize.

If there were accidents, no scolding at all.  Just a sad face, and I'd say "Maybe next time you'll get to choose a prize".  Nothing else was said.  If they were in diapers for a few days, all it meant was that they didn't get a prize when they "went".

But it was in no time flat that we had to rethink the whole thing, b/c they were "going" so often it depleted the prize bowl.  

The oldest was closer to 3 though.  My youngest was just over 2.  The oldest simply wasn't ready.  

Anyway, that's what we did.

No biggie--you got to fish a prize if you went in the potty, and none if you didn't.  Keep it light and casual, no pressure.