Maternal & Child Community
high fever and rapid heart rate

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

high fever and rapid heart rate

Well...Cameron is sick AGAIN...I dont know why...Could be from daycare, could be teething or could be both. Yesterday afternoon he felt warm and so I took his temp and sure enough he was at 102. About an hour later it was down to 99. Then last night he was complaining of his mouth hurting(puts his hand in front of his mouth and just whines and has tears running as he sounds like he is in pain...sooo sad) So I gave him some anbesol and motrin. Well he went to bed at 7:30ish and around 10 he began tossing and turning and whinning and couldnt get much sleep. After having difficulty breathing I sat in the recliner and we slept there all night.. well from 12 until 7. well sort of. he would doze off for 5 as well as myself and wake up crying all over...it was sad.. so..this morning i took his temp and he was at 104. So he cant go to daycare above 102. He was miserable...I HAD to go to work:S because i didnt have a sheet of sick people's numbers.

So anyways, this evening, as I was cuddling with him I noticed his heart rate seems to be more rapid than usual. His fever has been going from 101-104 all day.. And within 30 minutes(my mom had called...-I told her about cameron being sick.. she asked me his temp) he was at 101 and 30 minutes later at 104...

he had the runs all day long...

ive tried looking online whether im just imagining the rapid heart rate or if its common etc.. all i found was that it's common with a high fever. does anyone have any input or experience with this? thank alot in advance ladies

p.s. i'm getting rather worried that something is wrong with my baby(mind you the dr keeps reassuring me there isnt) because when he has a fever it's always 102-106...thats scary...
The rapid heart rate is definitely related to the fever and not anything terribley significant (or so i've been told). My DD has had a nasty virus for the past 4 days with fever fluctuating btwn 102 and 104. If your DS's fever goes above 104 I would definitely take him to the doctor but as for the rapid heart beat- that's completely normal with fever. I hope he feels better soon.
thanks i am taking him to the drs this morning just have to wait an hour to call the office. he is at 106 n we were up all night...im pooped..sunday night, i went to work yesterday...and up all night again...i called in today, talked to my boss and she thought it would be best i take him to the drs. so im just waiting for the office to open...
Hold on a sec....did you say he's at 106 DEGREES??  

That's very serious.  Yes, yes, yes he needs to go to the doctor right away.  The high heart rate is related to the fever, but a temp of 106 can lead to febrile seizures at any time.  

That temp needs to come down.  Have you tried a tepid sponge bath?  Are you alternating baby Tylenol and Motrin to get it down?  

ugh, 106 is getting serious....most peds I have talked to want to see a child once the temp reaches 104. So hopefully, they get you in!
Thanks Peek for making that point...if the doc can't get him in, I would take him to the ER.
Yikes, our pedi wants them seen if 102, especially if there are clear signs of discomfort and listlessness.

Get him in and stop writing on MH. Seriously. This could be something as simple as an ear infection, which will usually present with a sudden high fever, but with a fever that high it needs to be thoroughly evaluated as it could be something much more serious like pneumonia.
ive been doing the bath and tylenol.. the fever stays within 104-106...when cameron gets a fever lately its always ranging in there...:S i know its very high. He is drinking but refusing solid food. he has hada bit of apple sauce. We see the pedi today at 1. He told me a fever is nothing but i KNOW a fever is very dangerous and thats why i keep him under watch. he was up throwing up all night so im thinking its the flu...i dont think theres anything they can do for a flu or is there? he refuses pedyalite but is drinking gatorade and some juice.
You can alternate Tylenol and Motrin, but be SURE to stay within the dosing recommendations for each, in regards to time and amount.  
I would take him to the ER and not wait for the doctor. My niece had a high fever and it sent her into a febrile seizure and put her in the hospital for over about 2 weeks, the first few days being in a coma and they had no clue if it caused any brain damage or not. I can not believe some doctors.

Gosh I hope he feels better soon!! :o(
Mike's neice had a febrile seizure as well and had to spend a week in the hospital. She was seen by pediatric neurologists and stuff, and it was a long drawn out process! Get him seen!!! Kids can go from being "okay" to being VERY VERY ILL rather quickly so there is no reason to wait! I hope this turns out okay.
well so far his fever has gone down 102 now..probably from getting out of the house. the dr said that he had a flu. he has also had the same thing happen 2 and a half weeks ago. i find it odd at how my son is getting high fevers like that...
also the dr said something about keeping him hydrated(which i have been doing) and introducing yogourt slowly, rice pablum and rice to him...which will help stop the diharea. he said there wasnt much else we could do...it ***** for these little people because they cannot tell us whats wrong. so i will keep you all posted thanks alot..

would not having any food in your system(since he has been refusing food) cause a fever to strike up higher? i know that when one dehydrates it does cause a fever etc but he is in no way dehydrating or so i dont think.. he is drinking alot of fluids no milk though
Just have to remember that when they spike a fever, the reason for extra fluid is because the fever can make them become more dehydrated.
If he is spiking a fever of 106 he will become dehydrated.  I would seriously consider getting a new Dr if he feels a temp of 106 is ok.  
he claims that there is nothing we can really do. I brought DS at the emerg for a high fever for 105 and they ran blood work and did a catheter and everything was fine. sent us home on our way..no explanation...just unexplained fever..."it happens" i was told...

i always thought a fever all on its own is a sign that your immune system is trying to fight something...

From FamilyDoctor.org (written by the AA of Family Practitioners):

When should I call the doctor?

Less than 3 months old:
Call your doctor right away if your baby's temperature goes over 100.4°F rectally, even if he or she doesn't seem sick. Babies this young can get very sick very quickly.

Three to 6 months old:
Call your doctor if your baby has a temperature of 101°F or higher (even if your baby doesn't seem sick).

Six months and older:
If your child has a fever of 102°F, watch how he or she acts. Call your doctor if the fever rises or lasts for more than 3 days. In children 3 months to 2 years of age, if the temperature is 103°F, call your doctor even if your child seems to feel fine.

Call your doctor RIGHT AWAY if your baby or child has ANY of these warning signs
Constant vomiting or diarrhea
Dry mouth
Earache or pulling at ears
Fever comes and goes over several days
High-pitched crying
Irritable
Not hungry
Pale
Seizures
Severe headache
Skin rash
Sore or swollen joints
Sore throat
Stiff neck
Stomach pain
Swelling of the soft spot on the head
Unresponsive or limp
Wheezing or problems breathing
Whimpering
i have a bad feeling about this one... if the fever and vomitting persist, i would take him to the ER. do you know the signs of dehydration?
thanks alot peek. i will get a second opinion. as for now the fever is down to 100.5 his heart rate is back to normal...he even ate a little...he got a few boosts of energy this evening which was sorta nice but yet i want him to rest...hopefully we get some sleep tonight.
I cannot believe that the "flu" is being dismissed so easily, heck Peek was in the ICU with the flu and she is an adult. Perhaps the doctor is throwing the general term "flu" out there? because no self-respecting pediatrician will send home a baby with a 106 degree temperature and the flu, a baby would need to be admitted to the hospital.

I agree with others, something is wrong here. Young children do not get fevers that high without a reason. Please be diligent in monitoring him.

I would keep him close, keep him hydrated and work off of the BRAT diet for the loose stools.

Actually, part of me would want a second opinion. Unless you are reading that thermometer wrong and his temp is really not 106, there is a major reason for concern here.
when DS goes through fevers this high which I can honestly say that in the past 2 months he has had 3 occurences of having a fever reaching 106 degrees. Back in the summer when he supposedly caught a "virus" from the mosquitos and I had brought him the the ER. After they had sent us home, I asked what am I to do with my baby with a fever this high...At that time he was at 105 and I was told the same things I keep getting told...Just bathe him often, dont keep him too hot, make sure he is well hydrated...and if you feel the need please do follow up with his pediatrician...and everytime Cam's been at the ER...once for a high fever and twice for his breathing, the drs always said your dr is a wonderful dr and one of the best we have here. Kind of makes me wonder. I dont want to be stressing out too much-I KNOW it's the cold and flu season etc...but the vomitting and diharea isnt what worries me the fever was. It seems as though his fever has broke...for now.

Cameron sleeps in bed with me so I have an easy monitoring of his temp, breathing, restlness, etc. I prefer it that way due to his issues with breathing. Mind you one day he will need to sleep in his own bed.

What I found a little insaulting was what the pediatrician told me once...I believe it was when he had rotavirus. I told him I was worried abotu the fever, however cameron was already dehydrated. I managed to keep him out of the hospital and hydrate him which was wonderful. but the dr asked me in these exact words"what would your great grandmother have done with her children if they had a fever...???" he goes on to say how hospital terrify children especially for something so silly as a fever...there i was thinking...wtf...he says to me..."you know, you are better off at home trying everything your will to bring down the fever because at the hospital with a high fever like that they will immediately put him in a cold bath and i have seen it many times that it has sent children into seizures"

he is fairly close to retirement, everyone swears at how he is a wonderful dr...well he is great but i still cannot get over his reaction to the fever. I dont know to what extent things like that go but I mean if i were a dr and a child was always having high fevers, which is considered more often than rarely, i would be administering testing for that child...here i am saying this...can they find anything out like that..i mean i have heard horror stories, about children having heart conditions etc etc and if it werent for the fever, and the testing the child wouldnt be here today...

You know what your great-grandmother would have done? LIkely been burying her child. Children died back then at a much higher rate than they do now.

Keep pushing, girl. Something is wrong here. Don't let him shiver as that will raise his temp higher as well.

Please, please, please be diligent, any doubt, ANY and get him in ASAP. Do you know the signs of febrile seizures?

I am sorry I am harping, but this is worrying me immensely.
no i dont think I know the signs of febrile seizures...but possibly. would you mind sharing. I am thinking lethargic, shivering(which he had been doing and I covered him up...)
taken from ( http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000980.htm)

Alternative Names  
Seizure - fever induced

Definition  
A febrile seizure is a convulsion in a child triggered by a fever. Such convulsions occur without any underlying brain or spinal cord infection or other neurologic cause.

Causes    
About 3-5% of otherwise healthy children between the ages of 9 months and 5 years will have a seizure caused by a fever. Toddlers are most commonly affected. There is a tendency for febrile seizures to run in families. Most occur well within the first 24 hours of an illness, not necessarily when the fever is highest. The seizure is often the first sign of a fever.

The first febrile seizure is one of life's most frightening moments for parents. Most parents are afraid that their child will die or have brain damage. Thankfully, simple febrile seizures are harmless. There is no evidence that simple febrile seizures cause death, brain damage, epilepsy, mental retardation, a decrease in IQ, or learning difficulties.

Most febrile seizures are triggered by fevers from viral upper respiratory infections, ear infections, or roseola. Meningitis causes less than 0.1% of febrile seizures but should ALWAYS be considered, especially in children less than one year old or those who still look ill when the fever comes down.

A simple febrile seizure stops by itself within a few seconds to 10 minutes, usually followed by a brief period of drowsiness or confusion. Anticonvulsant medicines are generally not needed.

A complex febrile seizure is one that lasts longer than 15 minutes, occurs in an isolated part of the body, or recurs during the same illness.

About a third of children who have had a febrile seizure will have another one with a subsequent fever. Of those who do, about half will have a third seizure. Few children have more than three febrile seizures in their lifetime.

If there is a family history, if the first seizure happened before 12 months of age, or if the seizure happened with a fever below 102, a child is more likely to fall in the group that has more than one febrile seizure.

Symptoms
A febrile seizure may be as mild as the child's eyes rolling or limbs stiffening. Quite often a fever triggers a full-blown convulsion that involves the whole body.

Febrile seizures may begin with the sudden sustained contraction of muscles on both sides of a child's body -- usually the muscles of the face, trunk, arms, and legs. A haunting, involuntary cry or moan often emerges from the child, from the force of the muscle contraction. The contraction continues for seemingly endless seconds, or tens of seconds. The child will fall, if standing, and may pass urine.

He may vomit. He may bite his tongue. The child may not be breathing, and may begin to turn blue.

Finally, the sustained contraction is broken by repeated brief moments of relaxation -- the child's body begins to jerk rhythmically. The child is unresponsive to the parent's voice.

Febrile seizures are different than tremors or disorientation also seen with fevers. The movements are the same as in a grand mal seizure.
what is worrying me is that you say these fevers are recurrent. I would get him to a new doctor and find out what could be causing this to keep happening! Good Luck! Is he doing any better today?
it worries me as well that it has been repedetly. the first time he ever spiked a fever of 106 was when he had rotavirus. Then again  close to when he got his pneumonia and 2 and a half weeks ago while i was at my moms after xmas and just recently.

Cameron was awesome last night, he slept and so i tried him out at daycare since he had been over the runs for close to 48 hours and no throwing up for over 24 hours. He did amazing. Talking to the ladies at my work, they are supposed to give me a number of another pediatrician to call and explain the situation for a second opinion. I think I read somewhere that reccurent high fevers were signs of heart problems or something like that...am i mistaken?

thanks for asking cheyenne.

oh also, a few girls at my work(they were all so worried about cameron and asked me whether my thermometer was working properly or not....well see i always take 2 temps, by ear and anally. He hates it but it is much more accurate. See the ear thermometer reads 1 degree less than the anal temp.) It's almost as though they didnt believe me and like next time i will just take photo or record it, then maybe someone will believe me...ut regardless...many commented on how nasty the eye teeth are and cameron has 3 coming in at once...poor little guy.. he has done a complete 360 from yesterday. Very big change...but i keep him monitored closely.. and thats the good part about working at the same daycare...

I am an ER nurse. ANY child with a fever of 104+ needs to go to the ER immediately. Fevers can produce seizures. DO NOT wait. Your child can have irreversible effects from febrile seizures, or worse die when it gets that high. PLEASE do not wait. Be safe than sorry.
FYI-babies and kids bottom out quicker than adults. They will be fine one second and arrest on you in situations like extreme fevers. DO NOT WAIT.
thanks rngirl however this post is also 9 months old. This was his last high fever since then...thanks for the concern and info though.
FYI - If a child contracts an infection, the fever that accompanies it is a blessing, not a curse. It occurs because of the spontaneous release of pyrogens that cause the body temperature to rise. This is a natural defense mechanism that our bodies employ to fight disease. The presence of fever tells you that the repair mechanisms of the body have gone into high gear. The process works like this: When an infection develops, the child's body responds by manufacturing aditional white blood cells, called leucocytes.  They destroy bacteria and viruses and remove damaged tissue and irritating materials from the body. The activity of the white cells is also increased, and they move more rapidly to the site of infection. This part of the process, called leucotaxis, is stimulated by the release of pyrogens that raise the body temperature. Hence the fever. A rising body temperature simply indicates that the process of healing is speeding up. It is something to rejoice over, not to fear. But that isn't all that's happening. Iron, which many germs need in order to thrive, is being removed from the blood and stored in the liver. This reduces the rate at which the bacteria multiply. The action of interferon, a disease-fighting substance becomes more effective. The danger lies when interventions such as medications, including over the counter, and sponging are used to artificially reduce the temperature. Just because the fever is reduced doesn't mean the disease is gone.  Artifically induced fevers have been used in laboratory experiments with animals to demonstarte this process.  Elevated temperatures decreased the death rate among animals infected with the disease, but if their temperatures are lowered, more of them die. It would be intersting to know if attemps were taken to reduce the fevers of recent victims who have succumed to the H1N1 virus. Furthermore, a child's cold, influenza, or any other infection will not produce a fever that exceeds 106 degrees, and below that level the fever will not cause any lasting harm. The child's bodily defenses won't allow infections to produce fevers of 106 degrees, you need not to live in fear of mental or physical damage when his temperature begins to rise. Also, high fevers do not cause convulsions. They result when the temperature rises at an extremely rapid rate. I empathize with those who have this concern, for a child in the throes of a convulsion is a frightening spectacle and if you've seen one occur, you may find it hard to believe that this condition is rarely serious.  It is also relatively uncommon; it is estmated that only 4% of children with high fever experience fever-related convulsions. There is no evidence that those who do have them suffer any serious aftereffects as a result. More to the point, however, is the fact that treatment to prevent febrile convulsions is almost always given too late to do any good. That's because the convulsion is not related to the height of the temperature but to how rapidly the temerature rose to whatever level it reached. By the time you become aware of the child's temperature, the probability is that this rapid rise has already occurred. The common cold and influenza are the most common sources of elevated body temperatures in children of all ages. They can generate fevers that range all the way up to 105 degrees, but even at that level they are not a legitimate cause for alarm.  The only potential risk is dehydration. You can helpavert the threat of dehydration by making sure that the child receives plenty of fluids. A good rule of thumb is to try to get the patient to drink eight ounces of fluid every hour. Finally, if the fever fails to abate within in 3 days or is accompanied by other major symptoms such as vometing, respiratory distress, persistent cough lasting several days, acts seriously ill, and displays other major symptoms not normally associated with the common cold the doctor should be called. If the child is less than 2 months of age, and his temperature exceeds 100 degress, call the doctor.  
I feel sick headachand108 fever
I have to say some kiddos run high fevers.  My little Cameron is much like the above one- sick & high fevers.  Around 104 he will get listless & by 105 he was not reall responsive.  We were in the peds office the last time he spiked high like that, we were given wet towels & popsicles to help, once he was cooled down some they ran their tests & x-rays.  He had double pneumonia that time, but ear infections will set him off as will tummy bugs.  The first 6 months were hard as we couldn't rotate motrin until he was over 6 months of age.  Lots of baths....I thought that was how kids got sick too, but my neighbor came over a few times & was freaked out by it too...her kiddos never did this, they never had colic, pneumonia...she was a bit nervous around mine.  I kept in close touch with our ped, we are still frequent fliers there, but not as much as he grows out of it.  They have never been overly concerned with the fevers either, until he gets really high & unresponsive.