Maternal & Child Community
high hcg level

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

high hcg level

Hi.  I have a conception date of June 27th.  I had a quantitative hcg drawn on June 10th (3 weeks 6 days) which was 46.  I repeated the HCG 10 days later (5 weeks 2 days) with a result of 13,000.  I saw my Dr. today for an ultrasound (5weeks 6 days), she said that there was no fetal pole, but some blood flow.  When I asked her about the high hcg levels she implied that it was the result of either twins or an abnormal pregnancy.  I have a couple of questions, what does no fetal pole, but some blood flow mean?  When are those things usually detected in an ultrasound?  Could there be any other explanation for the high hcg level?  

Thank you
I'm sorry I can't answer all your questions, but I do know that 5-6 weeks is way too early to tell anything about the presence or absence of fetal pole. What they see and don't see depends on the u/s equipment they have. Was it internal or external u/s?
Thanks for your response, the U/S was vaginal.
Okay, heres the entire story: The first day of my last period was July 16th. On August 13 I did not start. On August 17th I took a preganancy test and it was positive. On Sept 5th I went for my first Dr's visist, were I was believed to be 7 weeks and 2 days pregant. Upon vaginal u/s the yolk sac and the gestational sac were present but no heart beat or fetal pole. I had the serum quantilative HCG done and my lab values were approx 1950 the first time, and 48 hours later, about 2100. I went back to the Dr on Sept 12th, at this time expecting to have a D&C, and upon vaginal u/s a fetal pole was found with a gestational sac mesuring (up and down) 5 weeks 6 days and (side to side) 7 weeks 1 day. So now the Dr is thinking that I may not be as far a long as we originally believed. I go back to the Dr on Sept 18 for another vaginal u/s, and at this time, according to the Dr, I shouild be able to see a heart beat. What are the odds of all of this happening? I am now scared that if I do see a heart beat something may be wrong developmentally. What is your take on this? At this point I am thoroughly confused.
Chat