Maternal & Child Community
highlights while pregnant

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

highlights while pregnant

good morning everyone! happy friday to all. ok, i know this questions has probably been asked a zillion times, but i couldn't find it on here today, so i'm coming to my favorite ladies for advice! i am in my 18th week...yay! and i'm getting married Sept. 2...yay again! so, i was wondering if getting highlights are ok at this point? i hear mixed reviews everywhere, so i guess i'm really wondering of your opinions. also, what i can't seem find are the reasons why they say not to color your hair. is it the physical effects of the dye on your scalp, or more the fumes they worry about? any help on the topic would be much appreciated! have a great weekend everyone <3
Wow, My dr. says you can color your hair after 12 weeks. When I did not know I was preggo in my first tri, I got my hair colored once or twice. I'm sure my baby is fine and you should get your highlights!!
my dr also told me that i could do what ever i want to my hair once i was out of the 1st trimester. i colored my hair a lot when i was pregnant with my son and he turned out fine.
when i get my highlights i get foil and the color never touches my scalp.  You are fine.  It says in teh waht to expect when your expecting book that the only danger is that your hormones could make your hair not turn the right color but that only means color.  With highlights...bleach is bleach.  
Funny story....I went in on a friday and got my hair highlighted and cut...my sis does my hair.  she said ok now you are ready to have your baby..i was already two days over due.  My water broke that night....lol.  Anywho..my baby has brown hair with blonde highlights....we all laugh and say see it did affect the baby it highlighted her hair too.  lol.  I have never seen a baby with natural highlights like mine has.  Get your hair done you deserve it.  Good luck to you.
i think it's mostly the fumes, although i'm sure some of the chemicals can be absorbed.  i have always made it a rule of thumb not to color my hair while preg.  i've always figured it's just nine months of my time and that i have devoted to my little one growing.  
congrats on the wedding.  if you do decide to color your hair, and this is going to sound gross, but don't wash it for about 2 or three days.  i always did that even when i wasn't preg.  it protects your scalp and your hair, again gross, using the natural oils from your body.  also, if possible, take a break during the dying to go outside and get a couple deep breaths of air.  i'm sure you will be fine, and again congrats.
Hi, I think thats a leftover from the 1950's-1960's when haircolor was made with heavy metals in the dye.Since there not anymore,there pretty safe to use.I colored my hair through all my pregnancy's,and my kids where all born fine.Congrats on your baby and upcoming wedding !!
I got highlights throughout my pregnancy and my dr. said it was ok.  I'd go ahead and do it if you are comfortable with it.
They say that highlights are safer than coloring b/c it never touches your scalp.  Plus, you're out of your first trimester so you're good to go ahead and look radiant :)
thanks everyone! i feel much better about doing it now that i know other people have done it without worry. i'm going to get my hair done tonite. plus, its a friend doing it at her house, so the fumes wont be so bad, and we could always open a window. thanks for all the advice, you ladies are the best!
I got highlights after my first trimester. My hairdresser said she's colored/highlighted many pregnant women's hair and all the babies are fine. Congrats on the wedding and the baby!
I also had my hair colored and my nails done while I was pregnant. I was told that the fumes could cause problems but I was given the advise to wear a mask, like the ones that doctors wear. I believe that theses can be purchased at wal-mart. This might be something that you might want to try.
The mask will only prevent dust from getting to your body not the fumes unless you wear those heavy duty industrial ones.  Just make sure the room is ventilated if you are still concern.
Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!!  That's so exciting!!  Sept 2 is actually my wedding anniversary! :)  It'll be two years for us!!  Best wishes to you, your fiance, and your little bun in the oven. :)
highlights especially can be done anytime b/c they dont touch the scalp.  enjoy your hair and your wedding!!
I was going to get highlights for my July 22 wedding...I too have heard mixed reviews...but why chance it...you know...its not that important...why compromise the potiential health of a baby just to look good...you will be beautiful no matter what.  The highlights can come later...I have a problem with shedding..I shed like crazy...but what can you do...good luck.  How far along are you...I was 21-22 wk on my wedding day and I felt the little guy kick for the first time while I was up there at the alter.