Maternal & Child Community
holding breath

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

holding breath

My son is 3 yrs old. Since he was younger he would have these spills where he starts to cry but he will hold his breath, turn blue and his eyes roll back in his head. After we blow in his face he will eventually come to. His last spill lasted longer than normal and I thought he wasn't going to start breathing. When I asked the Dr. he tells me to let him go its for attention and once he passes out his body will take over and he will start breathing again. I CAN'T SIT BACK AND WATCH MY BABY NOT BREATHING!!!!!! Can anyone help?
My daughter does this too.  She's done it since she was 2 months old at her first checkup for the shots.  The doctor said she's just a drama queen.  I got so upset after she said that.  Now my daughter is 2 years old and still does it.  She'll do it when she's standing straight up, cry.holding her breath and collapse to the floor hitting her head as she falls.  I didn't know there was such a thing called "Holding Breathe Spells" until my friend on here actually said something.  So I surfed the internet and there's two types.  The ones that turn blue and the ones that are pale.  The blue ones you don't have to worry about, it's the children that turn pale.  The pale children are either caused from seizures or anemia.  My daughter is the pale type!!  Also, it's genetic!!  Her father also had this as a child.  They grow out of it by the time they're  years old.  

We're honestly taking my daughter the to doctors to get checked because I can't keep watching her every second around the other kids.  She'll only do with when she doesn't get her way.  She'll either get really mad or sad.  She'll make a crying face, but no noise.  She eyes roll in the back of her head (eyes still open) and by this time, they're already unconscious.  So they fall to the floor.  Then 30-40 seconds later they'll start to breath again.  

It's the WORST feeling and SITE in the world to see your child look like they're dying!!  I still freak out after 2 1/2 years.  

Please, even if your son turns blue, I'd just get him checked out.  I can't believe doctors say they're just a Drama Queen...WTF!?!?!

Good luck to you...

Google-  "Holding Breathe Spells" and you'll find out tons more.  It's a real condition!!  
5 years old.  

Forgot to add the 5
I work with a kid who does that.  He'll throw a fit and if he doesn't get what he wants, he just holds his breath until he collapses.  The mom is naturally concerned and asked his pediatrician about it who said "do not let him get to this point".  So basically, the mother gives into every little thing that he wants.  The result: a VERY spoiled kid who doesn't know the word "no".  I'm sorry I'm not really helping but I would really investigate more into it and see what can be done.  Good luck.
My sister did that when she was younger. She did grow out of it but it was scary. We found if you blow softly in there face they will catch their breath before they pass out or turn blue. Hope it helps