Maternal & Child Community
how can you tell if your child has pneumonia

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

well cameron has been sick for 3 weeks almost...yes 3 weeks straight...just AS i think it seems to be getting better things quickly change. his cough was gone, his sniffles were almost gone...i am borderline pneumonia and omg does it ever hurt.. it hurts when i breathe in and it hurts right in my back and in the middle of my breasts where your rib cage is...i can barely swallow because my throat is soo sore. I am not coughing as much nor spitting up as much green phlem as i was however cameron was up all night long on a coughing attack non-stop. he is happy but soo congested and you can hear it when he breathes. his heartrate seems to be a little quicker than usual and his breathing seems to be difficult at times. he is on puffers for asthma since we found out last monday he was asthmatic and it was helping but now doesn't seem as though it is doing very much progress.

ive always been worried that something will happen to my baby and ive always felt like something would and i would end up losing him. why/ i dont know...normal mom worries? but i fear he could get sick and i wouldn';t really know and i know that pneumonia is not something to play around with...just i dont know what to look for in a child...my baby is 14 months and everytime he has been sick other than when he had rotavirus, he is always so happy...
only a doctor can tell you if he has pneumonia by listening to his chest. If you are worried, i would take him to get his chest listened to.

i had pneumonia once. it was awful. i would get dizzy from just talking or taking a deep breathe.
A chest x-ray will tell if he has pnemonia (pneumonia). Although the mold could be agravating his asthma also.
My oldest son had pneumonia, and his lungs sounded clear as a bell though he'd been sick and coughing for a month.  A chest xray showed pneumonia in one upper lobe of his lung.  
I  think alot of his problems could be from the mold.  I know even the slightest bit of mold triggers an asthma attack for me.    
Could his cold have turned into a sinus infection?  That happened to jacob and he was sick for over a month and the stupid dr would not give him antibiotics until it turned into an ear infection.  I switched drs and once he got on the right antibiotics it cleared up.  
he has 2 more days of antibiotics. when i mentioned the mold issue to the pediatrician again especially during the asthma issues, and when cameron was always so sick, he said of course mold isnt good however cameron was never this sick until daycare...which is true but probably all factors..I am not a dr but i'm assuming all factors coming into play...cold, mold and asthma wouldn't be a good thing....of course i have applied for a few places and now it is just to wait it out...it could very well take up to a year or more...i had filled out numerous housing applications..well one main application and they have different housings but they always claim they loose my application...i wish i could win a lil bit of money and get us out of here...
a chest x-ray and a white blood cell count is what our doctor used to Dx my daughter twice last winter
Just curious...how old is Cameron and how/why was the label of 'asthma' put on him?  Why the puffer and not a nebulizer?  Oh gee, I went back and re-read...Cameron is only 14 months?  I sure hope he is using a nebulizer and not an inhaler, even one with a spacer.  To truly diagnose asthma he'll have to be followed for several more years and should see a specialist.
CYW,  do you ever feel like this is too much?  That somehow,  this isn't the path that fate has destined for you?

Just reading your posts exhausts me.  I can't imagine,  really,  how exhausted you are.

There must be a different way.  There must be.

You have said before that your family is very supportive,  and wants to help.  Can you call out for them to help you right now?  Your poor baby has been sick for such a long time,  and so are you,  enough is enough plodding along in that stupid cold mold ridden place.  Enough is enough.

Can you call your family right now and ask for help?  A loan,  maybe,  to get you in a better place?