Maternal & Child Community
how effective is stripping of the membranes??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

At my next appt at 37 weeks the doctor wants to strip the membranes to get things moving along rather then do an actual medical induction due to high blood pressure. Is it pretty effective? Is it as painful as I have heard it can be?
I heard that stripping the membranes are either effective or not.  It depends.  What they are basically doing is going in your cervix and breaking the seal between the amniotic sack and the wall of your uterus.  I've heard that people say its painful.  Kind of like picking a scab??? ew.  haha.  It sounds rough to me and if it was my choice i wouldnt want it done.  BUT you have obvious medical reasons for needing it.

I keep checking this site to see how you are doing.  Hopefully Quinn can come soon so that you can feel better!!

Im thinking of you :)

as for me.. I had my 35 week check last friday and my cervix is still long, thick, and CLOSED.  No baby for me anytime soon.. Oy.  :)
it didn't do anything for me..  I still waited three weeks before I had my son.  good luck..
They did that with me with my ds and it didn't help at all. It was very painful (but nothing like labor) and they ended up inducing me after all. DS was two weeks late. I hope it works for you! We can't wait to get all the details about baby Quinn. Good luck!
My friend had it done and said it hurt like heck.  The doctor told her to stay close for the next few days.  I think that is all it was and she had her son.  I think it only really works if you are dilating already.  So you may have a good shot.  Good luck and I hope you see little Quinn sooner rather than later!!!
I wasn't stripped (I've heard it's painful though) but I was "stretched".  I don't know if it really did anything for me either.  He just ran his finger around and around my cervix (I was already 2cm dilated).  It made me bleed...and caused mild contractions, but didn't bring on labor.

Glad to see you post.  I've been thinking of you as well!  Good luck and keep us posted!

Amy
Didn't help me at all.  They "swept" my membranes 3 times and the little monkey still came late!
Well hopefully since I am already dilated 2-3cm and thinned out 60% it will work for me. Wish me luck I am so ready to have this little one.
they did that with my partner. was painful and did nothing to start labor.
Have no idea, but will be thinking about you! Hang in there!
They did that with me for both my boys.  First time it did nothing and went a week over.  He did not strip mine for the second one until the day before I was going in to be induced.  I was a week over again--though that time I was 3 cm and my labor went very quickly when they started the PIT.  Either way it did not bring on labor.  I think the further dialeated you are the quicker the indcution works if they are going to do that for you.  Hopefully you will have quinn by Christmas.
I had it done and I went into labor within 12-14 hours...I was dialated some already.

I think like everything else...it depends on you...but since you have a medical reason(BP) I would think it is worth trying so you may not have to do something more extreme.

FYI -- it didn't hurt me that much, more really uncomfortable (maybe b/c I was already dialating, etc.)

LOL!!
I was dialated to 3 and had been for 3 weeks and the Dr. moved his finger in a circular motion a few times during my exam and told me he expected to see me soon.  It really didn't hurt, no more than a regular exam.  When I went out the nurse asked me if he did his finger around and around and she said that he ruptured my membraines and I went in labor the next day and had her the next.  Hope it works for you!
I had it done twice with my first son and maybe I am just a wimp, but it just about made me cry the second time. It didn't cause contractions or my water to break either time. My friend had it done and she was told her water would most likely break with in 24 hours and it did. I think it all just depends on if your body is ready to deliver or not.
I did not find the procedure irself very painful but it sent me into labour for 52 hours!!!! Apparently I was not ready but the procedure started things anyway and that made labour an agony, it was like my body was doing "extra work" to catch up with things. But if you have started dilating and are ready it mught be ok. Good luck!!
I had my membranes stripped with my second baby. I also had it done for a reason. I fell and did the splits on my kitchen floor the week before and it caused the babies heart beat to be irregular. I was 38 wks she stripped my membrane that morning which by the way wsn't anymore painful than have a pap done while pg. That afternoon I started having strong contractions and went to the hospital at 8 pm was sent home and my water broke at 3 am had baby at 5:13 am. I was dialated to 2, but was about 80% thinned. With my first baby she broke my water, but I think stripping my membrane allowed my water to brake on its own. Hope this helps.
My doc did it.  Hurt like heck and my daughter was still two weeks late.
The doc did it when I was about 37-38 weeks, didn't do a thing other than hurt like hell
I had it done when I was 1 centimeter dilated, OUCH! Not like an exam for me very painful BUT within 6 or so hours I started to have regular contractions and had my baby the next afternoon:)

Good luck!
the best advice i can give is it only works if your cervix is ready otherwise its a waste of time and yes it does hurt goodluck