Maternal & Child Community
how long before miscarriage occurs if i have blighted ovum

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I posted yesterday as I went for a first scan, I am 7 weeks today according to my lmp, the lady scanning us saw & pointed out the yolk sac, and said the pregnancy looked fine for how far along I should be.  We were then taken into a room by another lady who told us the reason the baby could not be seen could be for 2 reasons. 1 being the baby is too small, the second and in her words "the most likely" blighted ovum as the sac is 21mm and the baby should be seen by this point.
I feel really frightened now that at our next scan in 6 days they arent gonna see any improvement & suggest & d&c. If this pregnancy is blighted ovum, how soon would I expect to miscarry?
I have had no bleeding & still have all my symptoms.  Would it be quite quick or take a while?  I had blighted ovum with my second pregnancy, but had a d&c, wish I had waited and let it occur naturally now, as I have doubts about the competency of the consultane that gave us the bad news after the scan.
I am so sorry you are going through this worry. As long as you are having symptoms then I woudln't worry too much about it.

With my first m/c I had no symptoms to begin with and so had no reason to suspect I would find myself awakened one morning by the actual m/c occurring. So I have no idea how long the preg wasn't viable. I was 6 wks when it passed.

With my second m/c I knew something was dreadfully wrong one night when I went to undress and my brests were no longer sore. I just knew I had lost my baby. But even then it took me several days to miscarry naturally. I was 6 wks when I lost symptoms and 8 wks when it finally passed.

Again, as longa s you have symptoms, then don't worry. I think it's awful that that woman told you that you "most likely" have a blighted ovum rather than saying "it might be a possiblity, but let's wait and see".

Thanks for your speedy response, this is my fourth pregnancy, the other 3 failed, but I can't remember if I lost my symptoms with the second pregnancy that was blighted ovum or not, I remember I did with the miscarriage, like you said I lost my sore boobs but didnt really think anything of it until I started bleeding.
I just want to wave a magic wand and have a healthy baby here.
Are you pg at the moment?  If so how far are you?
Yes I am 17 wks. And I knwo what you mean about the magic wand. How I prayed and hoped for that with my last m/c. To just reverse it. Although, someon shared a story on here once about spirit babies. Something about how babies are with us all the time and when we lose one, it gets to be first in line to be born. I know I butchered the story but that was the gist. I will be praying hard for you that this is YOUR time to get your "spirit baby".
I never heard that before, so basically the first baby we lost's spirit should be that of our first baby that lives?
17 weeks seems ages off to me, so you will be due around christmas time?
I am due ON Nov 26 but the OB wants to do a c-section two weeks before my due date! We shall see!

I know it seems like a long wait, but trust me. It passes befroe you know it!
I could be wrong, but it is my understanding that with a blighted ovum you will see nothing, not even a yolk sac.  I was told by my doctor, that there are 3 stages to see in early ultrasounds....1st a sac, then a yolk sac inside the sac, then the actual baby.  I was also told that once a fetus dies, you will most likely lose symptoms of pregnancy.  Keep a positive mind about it until you have a good reason not to.  Don't let yourself worry too much, because if the pregnancy is still a healthy one, the stress could cause you to miscarry anyway.  You should definitely wait until your next scan and see how that goes.  If they have already seen a yolk sac, then by next week they should see a baby.  Good luck!
I too didn't have any pregnancy symtoms (symptoms) with my three miscarriages...with my fourth pregnancy I was sick, tired and had sore boobs and I delievered a healthy baby with that pregnancy. So I think it's a good sign that you have symptons...I'm sorry but what is a blighted ovum? So when you had your u/s you were 7 weeks and saw a yolk sac but no fetal pole or heart beat? If you ovulate late and not when most people do then maybe you aren't 6 weeks yet sometimes I think doctors forget that not everyone ovulates at 13-15 days....Wait it out and see what happens I do think the pregnancy symptons are a good sign. All of my miscarriages were between 6 -8 weeks...I may not have started cramping until 10 weeks with 2 of them but when we did the u/s they said it was the size of about 6 weeks so that was when the problems occurred. I will be thinking of you. I've been there...have they done any testing for you yet? With my fourth pregnancy they gave me progesterone and it seemed to have worked and this pregnancy I am getting the same shots....
I had a d&c after an ultrasound report indicated fetal demise - I was about 14 weeks.  I know that where I live you have to push for a d&c, or wait.  One of the girls I work with had a similar case, fetal demise on the ultrasound, and didn't actually miscarry for SIX weeks.  I couldn't bare it, and went to an abortion clinic three days after finding out my baby had passed - and by the time I had the d&c it had disintigrated.  Do you have a family doctor who would receive the ultrasound report and be able to tell you more?
I was told the same thing as you. A blighted ovum does not contain a yolk sac, it will be completley empty.

thank you all so much for your responses, it has really helped put my mind at ease, I think there is something going on inside me as I've been throwing up since the scan on Monday, maybe someone is trying to say "I am here"
My doctor would be totally useless at trying to decipher reports from the hospital, he is very dithery for a doctor I think and I don't have much faith in him.
I also read that a blighted ovum would not contain a yolk sac, it is basically just a pregnancy sac with nothing in it right?
I am going to remain positive until next Monday and will let you know how it goes.

Once again thanks very much for all your kind words
Claire
the hospital have done basic tests which showed my body never rejected any of the pregnancies, it was literally a problem with pregnancy itself, the problem is my dh and I cannot have extensive tests unless we miscarry this pregnancy, as the first one was not a miscarriage. I delivered our baby at 16 weeks, it had a birth defect, so I have basically only had 2 miscarriages and am not seen as at risk yet.
I am praying that it doesn't get to the next stage though.
I am however taking progesterone suppositories twice a day, will they do the same thing as the shots? I think it has helped put my mind at ease some, I am taking baby aspirin too and folic acid in 5mg to rule out another birth defect pregnancy.
Claire,

I was curious what web-site you found about a yolk sac seen on a u/s not being a blighted ovum?  I have been doing research on this myself and also found the same thing on another post response from a OB/GYN.  I would like to find out more documentation on that.  Like one of the other gals that posted, I too wish I hadn't had a D&C.  I think there is a good chance that I could have had a viable pregnancy.  I have read on another post cases of women such as yours who had a yolk sac but no fetus showing, who ended up having their babies.  So, there is hope!  I wish doctors wouldn't jump to conclusions so quickly and freak mother's out when they are at the peak of their emotions.  It seems like they are so quick to doom a pregnancy.  I think it is horrible.  This web-site has some encouraging cases: http://bbs.babycenter.com/board/pregnancy/prenatalhealth/1311584/thread/575970?i=0#go  

Also, Misty's case which is just like yours:  http://www.babycenter.com/comments/pregnancy/pregcomplications/1355753

Let us know how it goes.  I'm sorry that you are going through all this torment.  Has your doctor taken a hcg test?  That is also very important and crucial.  If he hasn't, kindly demand one.  Take Care!
I am so sorry I didn't realize you had a baby at 16 weeks along with your miscarriages. I really do hope everything works out this time. Yes I think the shot is the same thing and the first time we tried it with me I finally was able to substain a pregnancy! They are doing the same thing with me right now. I know exactly what you mean about easing your mind...the minute I found out I was pregnant this time I couldn't get to the doctor's office fast enough to start the shots!It just makes me feel better knowing they are doing something to help the pregnancy!They made me wait for three miscariages also before testing...I think they ran a few test after two of them but they were heisitant I really had to push. One was the chromosome testing on both my husband and I. When that came back normal he tried one other test and then said try again....Then I miscarried again and he ran more test and then tried the progesterone!!!! Please let me know what happens at your next appointment.
One more thing I think it's a good sign you have been sick since the last ultra sound...why would your symptoms being getting stronger if you were going to miscarry???? Tty to stay positive when you go back you just might see your babies heart beat!!!They didn't do any blood work to check your HCG level to see if it was rising or dripping???
I too have read this week about a yolk sac not being a blighted ovum.The presence of the yolk sac means a baby was developing,so its not a true blighted ovum,but intrauteriun fetal demise.I'm so sorry your going through this,i am also.The not knowing is the hardest part.I find out tommorow if i am indeed still pregnant,or if my baby has passed and my body absorbed it.That thought just gives me shivers.God bless,and my thoughts are w/ you.
I was curious what web-site you read about the yolk seen on ultrasound not really a blighted ovum?  Thanks so much.  It really helps with my research.  I am still praying for your situation and the others.

I have the day off work today as I couldn't keep anything down last night, not even water, and feel like i weigh about 3 stone.
All I can think is if this is blighted ovum, like one of you ladies said, why are my symptoms getting stronger?
Niki I did not think to ask for the blood tests to see if they are rising, but isn't that what causes morning sickness, because of the rapidly doubling numbers?  Either way next monday I think if the hospital don't see to much on the scan I will demand that I get the bloods done, I didn't get far enough with the last pregnancy to have the second set done as I had miscarried by that time.
Lovin mum, I went on to Yahoo & typed in blighted ovum and basically looked at lots of websites, one of them said about the yolk sac means a pregnancy cannot be blighted ovum.  I'm sorry but I can't remember which, I was just relieved reading the medical info.  Also there are some postings on this site where ladies have given information to other women in my possible situation saying that their doctors have told them that a pregnancy which is possible blighted ovum would not contain the yolk sac.
I can't believe how much of a help this website has been for me and am really grateful for all of your advice which has really put my mind at ease. My dh thinks you are brilliant.
I promise I will let you know how the scan on monday goes, I'm keeping everything crossed!

Claire
Thanks for those website addresses, they were really helpful, I can't believe how doctors can be so quick to pass a pregnancy off as blighted ovum if the baby can't be seen when you think you are so many weeks, I mean every woman is different so why cant they allow for that, also if your last period date is taken and the doctors say you are pregnant from then, you don't ovulate while you are menstruating, so how many weeks can it actually be before you are medically pregnant?
I am supposed to be 7 weeks 2 days today, but what if I am actually only 4 or 5 weeks pregnannt?  They wouldn't have seen a heartbeat on monday anyway would they?
This makes me wonder what percentage of us have terminated a viable pregnancy because doctors are just to quick to jump to conclusions.
Yes you are right the HCG hormone that you are producing does cause the morning sickness along with other hormones that are changing...so I agree I think if you are getting sicker then your HCG levels must be rising! If I understand this right the reason most women start to feel better after the first trimester is because the HCG levels start to even out and actually go down... I think everything sounds good...I bet when you go back for your u/s you will see the heart beat! How far along do you think you are now?I know everyone's body is different but like I said before with my three miscarriages I never got sick or felt any symptons but once they started giving me the progesterone shots I was sick with my daughter and I am sick with this pregnancy!!! So hang in there and keep me updated....
sorry

this should take you direct to blighted ovum info

http://www.amersham-health.com/medcyclopaedia/volume%20IV%202/BLIGHTED%20OVUM.asp
http://www.amersham-health.com

some interesting facts i thought
You are right.  You could be two weeks less than what the doctors say depending on when you ovulated.  The doctors use a standard chart based upon ovulation at day fourteen of your cycle.  You could have ovulated later, for example, day 21.  That would put you at 6 weeks instead of seven.  Do you remember around what date you had clear stretchy mucous?  That would also be a good indicator of when you ovulated.  If you could figure that out and let me know, I have a pregnancy chart and could figure out your weeks for you.  Thanks for the website.  We will be gone 6/27-6/29.  Continue to keep us posted.  Take care.
According to my lmp I should be 7 weeks & 3 days, but I doubt very much theres a baby the size of 7 weeks in side of me!
I use opk's I detected my surge on the 19th May, so its 48 hours maximum from then when I ovulate. I can't remember when I noticed the mucus different on a particular day, but my dh and I did try each day from when my surge was detected and hey presto! If you could give me any guidance I'd be really grateful

Claire
I use the ovulation predictor kits, the kit showed my surge began on May 19th, so 48 hours maximum later I should have conceived, I don't remember the mucus being stretchy on a particular day around them I'm afraid, but my dh and I were trying the entire time and hey presto!
Any guidance you could give me I'd be really greatful for

Claire
you know I posted once to your response, logged off the computer then came back on just and I couldn't see my response to you, so I retyped it and then when I returned to the forum after posting, there was my first response! Typical
I am in a similar situation after having In Vitro. Two 5 day embryos were transferred and pg tests came back positive and betas doubled.

At 6wks5days we had our first sono and they saw a gestational sac and yolk sac but no fetal pole.

At 7wks5days they looked again and although the gestational sac had grown slightly, there was still no baby.

My reproductive endocrinologist confirmed that I had a blighted ovum and suggested waiting it out for 3-4 weeks before having a D&C.

At 8wks1 day I went to my OB/GYN for a consulation to discuss D&C options and scheduling. She wanted to do another sono and take a look. She found a heartbeat and a baby with a heart rate of 133. The baby is only measuring 6wks5days, though--instead of 8.

I don't know what to think of this, and cannot understand why the baby would be so small--with IVF, there's no doubt as to the fertilization date.

For those of you out there waiting, please keep waiting. I don't know how things will turn out for me, but I'm so glad I didn't rush off for a D&C after the 2nd sono!

Tammy
http://www.epinions.com/content_3524173956

Good story to read about a woman who was misdiagnosed.
Hi Claire,  Yep.  You are very early!  On my pregnancy wheel, you can put in either conception date or last day of period.  The conception date is so much more accurate.  If you ovulated on May 19, that would make you 7 weeks, 3 day as of today June 26.  If you ovulated May 20, that would make you 7 weeks, 2 days of today and so on.  If you ovulated May 21, that would make you 7 weeks, 1 day as of today.  Doctors never seem to take the ovulation date into consideration.  They just look at the date of your last period.  When was your last period?  I will look that up and compare.  I am leaving 6/27-6/29 if you don't hear from me, I will be back.  I am praying for you!  You are so early.  I will post another interesting web-site for you.

I have a question I need answering, I know you are away for a few days, but if you could respond asap when you return as I am a little worried now. so I am somewhere between 7 weeks 3 days or 7 weeks 1 day? I have a fetus that big inside me?
But according to my lmp on 4th May, I am only 7 weeks 5 days today, the 27th June.This is what concerns me as I didn't ovulate till nearly 3 weeks later than my period, but you say I am between 7 weeks 3 days & 7 weeks 1 day.
As you know we have the scan tomorrow, I will lwt you know what happends, should I worry if they can't see the baby?

Claire
Hey everyone. I am 16 and pregnant for the first time. I had an internal u/s done at 7 and 1/2 weeks and they saw a yolk sac but no baby or heartbeat. I am now 8 1/2 weeks pregnant. I've been doing tons of research to find out exactly what's wrong with me. My OB/GYN says I am going to miscarry he isn't sure when though. My hormone levels went from 85000 to 75000. He says that if I am not going to miscarry I have VTS vanishing twin syndrome. It is where they can't see the baby because the other baby has died. That causes the drop in the hormone levels. Or I have a blighted ovum. I don't know which one I have. I've been told a blighted ovum is causes by abnormalties in the man's sperm and the father of my baby has had 3 healthy girls. Also women in my family often get pregnant with twins and then experience VTS. I have all the signs of pregnancy- weight gain, I'm getting fatter, morning sickness, fatigue, cravings, and I have no cramps and have not bled at all. I still feel pregnant and really want this baby so what do you think?? Do I have a blighted ovum, VTS, or am I going to be fine? Pregnant and Scared at 16
well went for my scan and they said that I had a intrauteirne sac with a good decidual reaction No foetal pole noted at this stage a yolk sac is present  what does all that mean? all I saw was a sac and the now the doc tor has sent me to get HCP testing or blood testing for my hormone levels I still have cramps no bleeding though my boobs are sore sometimes i have no appetite for food um always tired i sleep during the day when Im not at work the doctor is going to send me for another scan in the mean time I am going to get hormone tested so I just had one today and next week on monday I am so confused reading and researching I feel like im gonna loose the baby but since been on this site I feel like I have hope and im gonna wait until my next scan. I have in the past have had polysistic in my ovaries because of my massive weight gain and my periods weren coming oftern and then I lost 20 kilos 3 months ago my periods started coming regularly and then bang I felt pregnant I got it really early because my last menstrual was at the end of August and I got tested on the 25 September therefore due in June 03 2010 and I have a 12 year old daughter so hopefully all goes well in 2 - 3 weeks I really want this one we have been trying for the last 12 years I just wanted to know what those terms at the top were thankyou
hi,

as the person who started this thread back in 2004!!!! i have to say your pregnancy sounds exactly the same as mine did! i have a 4 year old daughter now!!! all was fine, it was just too soon to see the heartbeat, try not to worry it sounds like your pregnancy is progressing as it should, i take it you are going to be re-scanned soon? keep us updated!!
i recently found out i was expecting my second child went in for myfirst altra sound wed nov4/09 they said there was a sac that my uterus looked fine it was expanding the way it should be and that i am right were i should be for 4 weeks 2days! but my nurse had calculated me at almost 9 weeks and it may be a blighted ovum or just miscalculation. i can't rememeber when my last periode was exactly i know it was in sep i think it was arounld the 20th so by that 9 weeks if acurate.i have all the symptoms of a healthy pregnancy sore boobs, ms, tired! but one thing does not make sense to me on the first pg test i did it came out negative about a week and a half before the positive one! so if her calculations r right and i am over 9 weeks then 3 weeks ago when i did the first it would have shown up i would have been 6-7 weeks so it gives me more hope for miscaculation!i have read that even with a blighted pregnancy you have all the symptoms of a normal one,this is really hard to sit and wait for 2 weeks to find out..
Hello...my husband and I have been trying for not too long to have another baby.  Our daughter is 4.  I was taking ovulation predictor tests so I know that I ovulated around the 10th of October.  I took a preg test and it came back positive around the 17th of October.  That seems really early to be able to detect a pregnancy to me but none the less...it did.  I went in for an ultrasound last week and they said that there wasn't anything in the sac.  I have another appt this week.  My concerns are: they are saying I am like 7 wks pregnant, but I know when I ovulated which was like 4.5 - 5 wks ago???  My lmp was Sept 12th so they aren't going off of that.  I told them when I ovulated and they didn't seem to care.  I want to know at what point it is safe to assume you have truly had a blighted ovum and at what point is it premature guessing??  I mean, if they say "at 7 wks you would def be able to see something" but I know I can only be about 5wks then what gives??
Hi....this is my second pregnancy. i had no problems with my first one. my lmp was 10th of sep09. the GP wanted to get a dating scan done. i had no bleeding/no cramping and he asked me to go for a scan on 5th of nov09. i do not know my ovulation dates. the scan detected an empty gestational sac. prior to 5th of nov09 (my scan
), i used to have morning sickness and tiredness. i still do...but the level of morning sickness or tiredness is low as compared to what i used to have before my scan. the doctor says it looks like a blighted ovum. i went for 3 blood tests for getting my HCG levels tested. they are increasing but not doubling every 48 hours. my tummy does not feel bloated any more. on 23rd november i have another ultrasound and have taken an appoinment with the specialist on 24th of november. i am surely confused as with my first one i had an ulteasound at 12 weeks. i am very worried...looks like i have lost this one
Hi all,
This is my second pregnancy and I went to see my obgyn on nov. 16th and by my lmp I was 9w6d, she was not able to find a heart beat. My hcg levels was 64000. On Nov. 20th I notices slightly pink discharge, so my doctor ordered an US, On Nov. 23rd by lmp I was 11w6d and doctor said that my sac measured at 7w4d and it was a blighted ovum. I decided to wait for a natural m/c and had my blood drawn weekly. On Nov, 30th my hcg was 15000 and I started bleeding. On Dec. 3rd I started bleeding heavily and cramping badly. up untill Dec. 9th. I had light bleeding and no cramping so I thought it is over. On Dec. 6th my hcg was 5664 and my doctor said its still too high, my US showed some retained tissue and sac measuring 5w4d. I just had another hcg level done but don't know the results yet and have US scheduled tomorrow, Dec. 15th. It's very hard, emotionally and physically so I really feel very sorry for those that going through a m/c.
Here is my experience with a blighted ovum pregnancy: (I am 27 years old, this was my first pregnancy) When I was 5 weeks 5 days pregnant I had my first vaginal ultrasound. I was told I was only measuring at 4 weeks. I knew that was impossible bc I knew exactly when I conceived.  I had really sore breasts even before I knew I was pregnant at around 4 weeks. At 6 weeks, the soreness just suddenly went away. Since that was my only pregnancy symptom, and it suddenly went away, I had a feeling that something was wrong.  I had another sono done 1 week later at 6 weeks 5 days and was diagnosed with a blighted ovum. The Dr. told me there was no fetal pole, no yolk sac and that it stopped developing at around 4 weeks. To make sure, they wanted me to have one more sono done in 1 week. I told my Dr. I wanted to have the miscarriage naturally and would not have a d&c.  4 days after the sono that was done at 6 weeks, 5 days, (when I was at 7 weeks 2 days) I started having some brown spotting. At 7 weeks 5 days I had my 3rd sono. I had the brown spotting for 3 days at this point.  Dr. told me the sac grew a little bit, about 2 mm, but still not fetus. They checked my hcg levels and I was at 4017 that day. Later that same day (at 7 weeks, 5 days) I began having painful cramping that night but still only brown spotting. The next morning (at 7 weeks 6 days) I woke up and I was bleeding. I passed the tissue/clots that day (when it came out, I felt a gushing and when I looked at it, it was about the size of a golf ball and looked like raw liver). After I passed the tissue, the cramping stopped and I just had heavy bleeding (like a heavy period). Two days after I began to bleed they checked my hcg levels again and I was at 299.  I bled for 8 days.  2 weeks after the miscarriage I had my hcg levels checked again and I was back down to 0. I was told by my doctor to wait for 2 periods before trying to conceive again. I am still waiting for my first period (its been almost 4 weeks since my miscarriage) and I cannot wait to try again. I am hopeing and praying we will be blessed with a healthy baby the next time we conceive. So in short, my miscarriage began almost 4 weeks after the baby stopped developing.
i just wanted to let everyone know that just because they don't see anything at the first few weeks do not get dicouraged i had 3 scans before they saw the baby i was eight wks and they had to do an internal A/S to see! but they told me at my first scan at only 4wks that it was probably a blighted ovum it was a horrible feeling . i am now 26wks with a little girl and iam sooo excited and glad i kept pushing and not just listening to them doctors do make mistakes more often then we would like to think they do....
scared and just want to know never had a misscarriage and i just found out that i'm pregnant my levels keep goin up but the dr. keep telling me i'm going to misscarry what should i do is this normal have 3 healthy kids
Hi my name is Michelle, and When i first found out i was pg they estimated me to be around 5wks, went in for an us at 6 wks and they said everything looked good and they showed me the yolk sac , well went for 7wk us and they showed me a empty sac in which they said it was flat on one side i havent  experienced any mc symptoms , my boobs are still sore and extremely heavy no bleeding at this point, i go again for another us in a 2 days , i'm so scared this is my first pg and they told me that I couldnt have children on my own , that I would have to do ivf and look what happened, i have faith in GOD and I dont think he did this all for nothing, just wondering if there are some similar stories to mine
Hi everyone, I took a pregnancy test July 18 and found out I was pregnant. The following day I got my HcG checked and it was 1353 and they told me I was about 2 weeks pregnant. Well I had just gotten off birth control and had a two week long period, so I had no clue when I had ovulated. I went in on the 26th of July to get a dating u/s and they could not find anything but an empty gestational sac so I went in on the 30th to get some blood work and the 1st for another u/s, which they still couldn't find anything so they diagnosed me with a blighted ovum and urged me to get a D & C, but I am opting to wait for it to pass. My DR wouldn't tell me what my HcG level was on the 30th, but said "it was something like 100,000." I guess my concern is that my body will get the hint and pass this naturally. I have lost ALL pregnancy symptoms, and do not feel pregnant in the least bit, and am worried they are going to make me do the D & C. I am just ready for this to be over, but am wondering how long it took other people to pass naturally?
This is my 5th pregnancy (although i have had a lot of problems in my previous 4 pregnancy's and my last 3 were 6 weeks premature, they are all healthy little boys).
I am really worried with this 1 though.
I went for my 1st scan, which id worked out i was roughly round 5/6 weeks pregnant, the doctor at no point confirmed this and the whole appointment was rushed and i was just told there was a sac but it was empty.
I left not feeling too worried as i knew i was early and that they shouldn't of really been able to see anything by then anyway.
I have been putting on weight (again this is something that i struggle with normally as i have an extremley high metabolism and never put on weight) and i was also having all the pregnancy symptoms and had a positive pregnancy test (which they did at the hospital).
I went back for my 2nd scan 2 weeks later.
I saw a different doctor (i had seen him a few times on my previous pregnancy and i dont have the greatest trust in him as he didnt listen to me the last time when i was having a few problems)
I had my scan (again extremley rushed and still no confirmation of dates - by now i assumed i should be 7/8 weeks pregnant) and was told extremley abruptly and very rudely that the sac was empty, there was nothing there and my pregnancy wasnt viable and that he was 99.9% sure that he was right and he tried to push me into a d&c straight away.
I refused this and i was told that if i wanted i could go and get my HCG levels done but he wouldnt do them, i told him i wanted to do this and went to a private lab and had them done there.
My 1st set came back at 20310 (the technician that done them told me this was normal levels for being 6 weeks pregnant)
I've gone home and gone through my dates with a fine tooth comb and there is indeed an extremley good chance that i could be 2 weeks earlier than what i thought originally, so this would tally up).
I have scoured the internet for information on blighted ovum and have found that my dates could be wrong if ive ovulated later or if ive got a tilted uterus then the baby wouldnt show up until a lot later anyway (ive never had this but theres still a small chance of this?)
I have also suffered from vanishing twin syndrom (syndrome) with my 3rd pregnancy, i started miscarring the empty sac at 6 weeks and by 8 weeks it was gone but the other baby was fine and hes now 3 years old.
I am convinced that i saw 2 empty sacs on my 1st scan with this pregnancy but both doctors have not said anything.
I am wondering if it could be possibly any of these problems happening?
My 2nd set of results (2 days later) came back at 29360.  So even though it hasnt doubled my levels are rising.
From the day i got my 2nd set of HCG levels back i have been having extreme fatigue and morning sickness.
I am virtually sleeping through most of the day and still crashing out early on the night.
Today though i have started having very light pinky / brown mucous (wouldnt even class it as blood) when i wipe. I put a pad on but nothings on there, its only when i wipe and is very little and im not having any cramps.
This is starting to worry me but at the same time i still do feel pregnant and cant help but think my doctor could be wrong.
Surely at my last scan (if i am actually only 6 weeks) then he still wouldnt have been able to of seen anything as it was still too early?
I really dont want to have a d&c and would prefer for nature to take its course but my doctor is very insistent and not a very nice man and hes basically wrote this pregnancy off already.
I go back to the hospital in 3 days, which i am really nervous about.
Has anyone else been in this situation and gone on to have a normal pregnancy
I feel like im on melt down at the moment and living in limbo land.....i just want to know what happening :(

just been for my follow up appointment and scan (which i have been dreading.......this has been a very long and anxious week waiting for this appointment)
Anyway......it turns out the doctor was wrong and I was right......i am very much pregnant and heard a lovely strong heart beat.......the doctor had got my dates completley wrong and i am infact 2 weeks earlier than what they originally thought.....so i am now 7 weeks pregnant and not 9 weeks like they were telling me i was.........i am deliriously happy.
I am so glad i waited and trusted my instinct that everything was ok or this could of been a comletley different story.....i was so close to getting a d&c (which the doctor was insistent on me having done), as in his words....'he was 99.9% sure there was no baby and it was a blighted ovum', so i have spent the last week feeling like a ticking time bomb, i have made myself ill through worry and every single twinge has felt like this is it.....i am so angry at him for having put me and my family through this but so happy that everythings turned out ok in the end and that im finally out of limbo land and can get back to some sort of normality. xx
I myself am going thru a similar situation. I initially had found out I was pregnant when i was about 4-5 wks.. or so i believe i was.(not 100% sure) I had a ultrasound done on Sept 2, 2010 what they said was 5 wks & she couldnt see anything because she said i was too early. I had another ultrasound done at the ER on Sept 22, 2010(should be 8 wks) and at that point she said my ultrasound showed my sac had grown but should be a little bigger& that she did not see anything inside it still. I thought I saw something but Im not a professional. Another ultrasound done at ER 2 days later showed same thing.. sac continues to grow larger along with very high hcg lvls. Although at ultrasound the 24th My sac then was measuring larger than it should be..
Then the doc office called me Oct. 5th & said i needed to come in and talk to a doc that had been flown in from Cali to replace my doc while she was on vacation.. He proceeded to tell me that either ive had a blighted ovum or I could be carrying twins & just not be as far along as I thought(due to the fact my hormone levels are higher than normal) I am not completely sure about my period date as I bled for a few days every 2 wks. This lasted about 2 months. Im not sure which one was actually my period. I still feel very much pregnant and still have all of my symptoms. I am so very confused and am really hoping for the best. I had healthy little boys then got with my fiance and we had 2 miscarraiges then had a 2 month premature daughter, and now all of this. I am starting to wonder if it is problems with our genetics.. do they not cross well?
UUGGHH!!!!!, Were praying the docs are wrong! i found out i prego's on sept   28, i waited about 2wks to go into the dr to confirm it. I figured i should of been about..5 wks. Once i received the confirmation that i was prego's i had mentioned that my boobs were not as sore as they were the previous week. This caused for a red flag and i had to give blood test. my HCG levels went from 3599 (which she said was right if i was 4-5wks along) it went up to 5599. I had an u/s done and they saw a sac, but thats it. I went back in for more blood work including testing my progesterone,and thyroid. my hcg went up again, my thyroid was fine and progesterone was a little "low"of the normal side...she said i should be between a 7 and 10...i was at 7.5. another ultra sound was taken, they said i should see something now, because my hcg should be over 10,000. we saw nothing. They want me to wait 1 more week and if nothing, get a D&C..... Im so confused..My levels are rising, i have some waves of sickness, sore boobs, tired,gaining weight.... I was told before my 1st pregnancy i had a tilted uterus. I'm wondering if the baby is hiding back there. I should be now about 8 wks my lmp was 8-25 . The Doctors havn't even mentioned about a possible hiding baby.. and i have been reading that is very commen with tilted uterus's. Im not giving up, i have a feeling it's not a blighted ovum. Well I'm crossing my fingers it's not. I have to wait now until mon 10-25 to see whats going on. If they still dont see anything..... do i do the D&C or wait until i pass it?
I feel you!  I am waiting for Monday to hear about my HCG levels and then Tuesday I have another u/s.  This is my first pregnancy and I am so worried.  I am trying to make sure that I try and calm myself down and think only positives.  I think doctors need to be more careful what they say to pregnanct women with high hormones, we shouldn't have to stress so much!  Good luck to you and I too hope my baby is hiding.  I would wait and let your body miscarry on its own, there are a lot of stories I read where the doctor has been completely wrong, and as long as you are not experiencing anything but pregnancy symptoms and see no reason to worry, which is better said than done.
Hello, with my 2nd pregnancy... they scanned me at 6weeks along due to previous m/c history, I had a lovely gestational sac with nothing inside. The Dr. told me at that point that she wanted to see a yolk sac. I returned at 8 weeks along and was diagnosed with a blighted ovum due to still a gestational sac and no yolk sac..where the heck was the yolk sac..who knows! She wanted to schedule me for a D&C the next day, by I opted to wait another week for another scan at 9 weeks along...I tracked my cycles so I knew my exact LMP and everything. My levels were being watched each week and was rising as they should. My animals in the house were coming around me like I was expecting when I had my daughter who was full term. I had no bleeding, mild cramping like my period would begin at any second and I had no pregnancy symptoms..yes none.. no sore breasts, no morning sickness, no frequent urination..etc.. SO LADIES PLEASE...if your levels are not dropping, whether you have symptoms or don't, be patient for the "just in case" ...D&C will always be available if you want , but there will be no going back and no finding out "what if" if you go that route too early. I was advised by my Dr. to get a D&C as soon as possible as to not suffer any emotions in dealing with waiting to miscarry my blighted ovum. I showed up for my 9 week scan and gestational sac, yolk sac, and baby with a strong heartbeat showed up! Just like "ta-dah" magic! And now that diagnosed blighted ovum is 5 years old and I'm sooooooooo grateful for him! Best wishes to everyone!
Thank you SO MUCH for taking the time to post your story of hope here.  Yours is almost exactly our same story (only my blighted ovum was dx'ed at the first visit/scan - 8 weeks).  We are currently waiting one more week to be re-scanned at what *should be* 10 weeks, though we were measure 2.5 weeks "small" with my sac size at the 8-week appt.  I am not bound by a delusion, I still am aware that there is a likelihood this baby just wasn't "meant to be" at this exact time, and wasn't chromosomally sound, but there is such a high incidence of misdiagnosis for blighted ovum!   (see misdiagnosedmiscarriage.com).  There is no way in my mind to justify having a D&C done anytime BEFORE probably 12 weeks, if that is your preference.  Every day feels like a year right now, every time my stomach growls I wonder if my miscarriage is starting, but I would rather go through that for weeks than to have 1 millionth of a doubt that I terminated a pregnancy incorrectly and/or prematurely.  There are a lot of unexplained "tah-dah!" stories out there -- as late as 9/10/11 weeks -- to have a procedure done based on any scan or any thing determined sooner than that.  I personally have just decided to wait it out, no matter how hard the waiting, knowing that our bodies typically respond best to natural methods - whether talking about eating right and exercising vs. diet pills, natural vs. medicated birth, or natural vs. vacuumed-or-induced miscarriage.  In cases where the body is just not responding for whatever reason, modern science affords us some of those extreme options.  

I still do not know if we have a "real" pregnancy.  We've already been counseled about our options.  My sx are getting stronger and no sign whatsoever, no 9 weeks, of miscarriage, but my doc's RN said you can have sx right up until the miscarriage and sometimes even a few days after.  I'm not sure if this helps anyone or not.  I mostly wanted to thank you, Mommy247to4, for sharing your unique, well-written, and blessed story of a wonderful outcome to your "not so blighted ovum" story.  Blessings to all this holiday season.  
I will be 10  wks pregnant on tuesday. I've gone in for at least 6 ultrasounds. An the first couple were around 5-6 wks and there wasn't really anything to be seen. But then I went at 7wks and there was a gestational sac with a yolk sac. I went back at 8wks 6days and there was just a sac with nothing inside of it. My dr told me that "it doesn't look good and he's not optimistic" and I had to wait 2 weeks and then we would have our diagnosis. So the next day I made an appt with another dr in a Tucson for a second opinion. She did 2 ultrasounds on 2 different machines, and there was nothing in the sac again. I had my blood drawn and the levels were 49000 something and 2 days later they were 60000 something. They called and told me that I have a blighted ovum and I have to go back in a few days for another ultrasound and then a d/c. The thing is I still have all the symptoms of being pregnant, no cramping or bleeding and it's been almost a week since i went in. I have 3 healthy kids and no problems with any of those pregnancies. But 4 months ago I had an ectopic. I really don't know what I should do. Do I wait or have the d/c?
I'm in the same boat. I am 9w2d today and went in for my 3rd u/s. 1st one was on Dec 10 at 5w4d...gestational sac, no yolk sac or fetal pole. I had another one on Dec 15th, which showed the same thing. I went in for my 3rd u/s today and still only an empty sac. I was on prog. supp. My doctor has asked me to stop them and wait for nature to take it's course within a week or two to shed the sac. She's not pushing me for a d & c...just to let nature take it's course. I have a healthy 4.5 yr old boy and can't thank god enough for him.

Pls. don't be disheartened with my experience. I'll pray for you and hope all is well with you. Good luck:)!!
I forgot to post that I still have sore breast and nausea.
I went back in for another ultrasound before the d&c and as soon as she put it in there was the yolk sac and fetal pole. So now I have to wait some more to see what's going to happen. She said that it's a good sign because it wasn't there before. But I don't understand what's going on since there was one there a few weeks ago and it disappeared. The dr said that I could have miscarried the other one and this one is new but that's not possible since I haven't had any cramping or bleeding at all and there's been no sex. Oh and this new one they found is only measureing 6 wks. So we'll see what happens on Monday when I go back in.
To everyone:
I've done quite a bit of research online on the subject of blighted ovums. You actually CAN still have the usual pregnancy symptoms with a blighted ovum. Your hCG level can and will continue to rise until your body figures out that the embryo isn't viable. This is because what produces hCG is the placenta, not the actual baby. In a blighted ovum, there is a placenta giving off that hCG and causing symptoms and a positive pregnancy test. What happens is that the fertilized egg implants into the uterine lining and begins to develop but for some reason (most commonly chromosomal abnormalities) the baby stops developing because of lack of or wrong information that it needs in order to continue developing. If you have been diagnosed with a blighted ovum, there actually was a baby beginning to develop and you actually WERE pregnant. HOWEVER...and I can't stress this enough (!!!), if it was diagnosed before 11 or 12 weeks, ask the ultrasonographer if you have a tilted uterus! It's been estimated that some 20-40% of women do have a tilted uterus, which can make it difficult to see a baby on ultrasound in the first trimester. You will have to ask if your uterus is tilted, since a tilted uterus is so common that ultrasonographers usually don't tell you this information unless you ask. Don't just rush into a D & C, as the ultrasonographer could be missing your baby in the exam! Follow this link to learn more. I learned a tremendous amount from this website and others like it.

http://www.squidoo.com/misdiagnosedblightedovum
Hi Lisa,

I am so confused as to what to do right now.  I found your information very interesting!  Here is my situation: I am in my 12th week and found out 3 days ago that I have blighted ovum, which was discovered through an ultrasound.  Apparently the baby died around 7 weeks.  I have had no signs of bleeding, no cramping, I did have horrible nausea for the first 2 months which has subsided, and my boobs are still way too big right now.  I was shocked to see the picture of an empty sac as I thought I might be having twins!  The reason I had the ultrasound was because the doctor said I was bigger than usual and may be farther along (and in my mind I thought maybe there's 2).

Now I am basically just waiting to finish the miscarriage, but am going to be traveling in 19 days and do not want it to happen in a foreign country.  I am thinking of opting for a D&C for safety, but don't want to take out a baby if its a mistake.  Do you know if it is normal to not see anything at 12 weeks?  I know you are not a doctor, but maybe you have come across something.

My prayers for peace and strength to all women who are going through a miscarriage.